Server 2003 Blue Screen with SYMTDI.sys

leilani

Server has been blue screening everyday at the same time. When blue screen comes up it has the symtdi.sys. We recently removed NAV and installed Macafee. There are no back ups the run at this time so I elimanted back up. Could this be caused by a bad uninstall of NAV. Does anyone know? Is there instructions for manually removing NAV from the server. I believe this is a file from Symantec and is the cause of the crashed. I could be wrong. There is nothing in the event log around the time the server crashed.......

Updated...Yesterday I went into the registry and went to the SYMTDI service under localmachine/system/currentcontrolset/service/symtdi and changed the "start" value name data to 4 which disables the service. It was previously set a 1. Well around the same time the server now freezes.

• 2 weeks later...

symtdi.sys is part of the Symantec/Norton Internet Security suite. As per Microsoft, it isn't supported on Windows Server, and is known to cause problems. Assuming it's Symantec/Norton Internet Security, you need to remove the registry entries it created, then reinstall Windows Script 5.6 (yes, it damages Windows Script) by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...4b-4622-86eb-95

a22b832caa&displaylang=en - download and install WS 5.6 if possible.

Then, delete the Norton/Symantec files found in C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security and/or C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall. Assuming you have no other Symantec products on the machine, you can also delete C:\Program Files\Symantec, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared, and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec.

If you have other Symantec products on the computer, delete the folders C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Internet Security, and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Personal Firewall.

Browse to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder, and select the following files and delete the following files:

Symdns.sys

Symfw.sys

Symndis.sys

Symredir.cat

Symredir.inf

Symredrv.sys

Symtdi.sys

Browse to the C:\Windows\System32 folder, and delete the symredir.dll file. Close Windows Explorer and restart your server for the process to be complete.