COM, DTC

fdv

for my own edification. uses info listed here among other places. btw, i will not ever disable MDAC by default, sorry, i need it, and yes, i know it can be downloaded here. it's easy enough to comment out of SYSSETUP.INF.

anyway, can folks give me some personal experience with COM and DTC? it's easy to comment these out in SYSSETUP but i am curious and it's time for a simple thread detailing what relies on just these two windows components.

Requiring COM (Component Object Model)

System Restore

Requiring DTC (Distributed Transaction Coordinator)

Microsoft SQL Server

Microsoft Message Queuing

Microsoft Exchange Server

Edited by fdv

Is that DomainTrackerClient?

Anyways, COM - from what I have read was a great idea that was extremely poorly implented, as such almost nothing requires/supports it.

What File components even make up COM?

I'm more used to looking at individual calls to files, than what comprises a service set.

And DTC, sounds like its needed for OFfice.

Sorry those aren't specific.

I've heard that certain M$ Office functionality relies on COM.

However, whenever I try to Google this, I turn up diddly, so I don't know. I'd love to get rid of it.

The problem is, if you get rid of everything, it's hard to tell whether the program relies on COM, Windows Scripting Host, DTC, etc.

@FDV, do you know which file contains Windows Scripting Host, I need that for WordPerfect.

Also, when is your latest fileset coming out. I've been wanting to make new CD shortly after Oct. updates came out and I keep getting delayed testing, tweaking, bug-testing, etc. :)

@CrashBurn, my FDV'd nLited Win2k had DTC taken out and I installed M$Office no problem. Opened Word, Excel and PowerPoint up no problem either.

Can't tell if Outlook requires DTC because I removed OE.

Usually, DTC is required for databased type applications.

P.S. FDV, should we include DCOM in this thread as well? Not sure if DCOM is dependent upon COM, but if it is, it'd be good for people to know that if you need DCOM, you also need COM.

Edited by saugatak

FDV, should we include DCOM in this thread as well?
no, DCOM is disabled by default. everyone who has been using my fileset (since 2003 in fact) has been running without DCOM :thumbup
when is your latest fileset coming out.

an excellent question. Oleg_II just gave me some reworked files. i took out POSIX and OS/2. i just punched up MSHTML.INF and am about to remove wordpad and disk cleaner. i'd say, give me til thursday. i know how much it sucks to wait believe me :) gotta put the dummy IEXPLORE.EXE into IE.INF now.

wordperfect

WSH.INF is windows scripting. delete WSH.INF from FDVFILES and use the default Windows INF and it will install.

Edited by fdv

FYI: I was doing some reading COM was previously the name for ActiveX, and prior to that it had some other name that I don't recall atm. From a few quick google searches it doesn't appear too many programs need it, was mention of Spyware blaster.

FDV, attached please find the mods I made to your filesets.

WSH.INF - you will have to continue to delete this file

Menu Groups in SYSSETUP.IN_ - done

Defrag - moved to a separate INF. to remove it, comment out the dfrg.inf line in SYSSETUP.IN_

Accessibility - shortcuts removed

SYSOC.IN_ - COM and DTC will be omitted for now, but i need more data!

MDAC - i am a heavy database user as are many fileset users (not on MSFN), so for my own sanity, that's staying

help files - 99% gone (some are left in TXTSETUP and LAYOUT to avoid 'file not found' errors when installing some drivers. because these files end in 3,3 they are NOT installed by default. trust me on this.)

cleanmgr - gone

wordpad - gone

welcome - gone (no one wanted to replace it with something?)

kept - notepad (i havce used LOTS of replacements and they tend to screw up my INF files due to their handling of linebreaks

you will see that sometimes, INF files are left though the files are gone. this is so i can easily replace an INF file's contents if i want to and have it install without suddenly remembering "oh crap, i forgot to uncomment it in TXTSETUP!!!"

0s/2 and POSIX - gone

FDV, I would keep COM for now.

I made the same HFSLIP FDV Win2k fileset as last time, only difference is I took out COM.

It would not install on my VM machine.

I'm wondering if my experience on COM is unique on this.

Who else has taken out COM and tried to install? What are your results?

welcome - gone (no one wanted to replace it with something?)
Theres actually a pretty cool loadscreen in MDGx's 98Se2ME, would need to be modified as it displays 98 Second Edition, -- could possibly ask him about that if anyone was actually interested.
kept - notepad (i havce used LOTS of replacements and they tend to screw up my INF files due to their handling of linebreaks
Seriously check out MetaPad http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/

Unless you already have, I've not noticed any problems whatsoever in 3+ years, and I wind up using it more often than multi-Tab Editors, like ConTEXT

Edited by Crash&Burn