Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

win2k hotstream - topic continued

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Alexander Maxim

Alexander Maxim
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-October 05

Hi :)

@MajorGeeks and @SoftPedia: Yep - I'll send you a description in a PM. I'm rather surprised by the amount of dl's btw - but a lot of people have passed by from other forums :hello: I've learned.
Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

There are a lot of people (me included) that think that your work on the USP5 is very important. W2K is my favorite OS and I'm not gonna give it up that easy. So keep up the good work Gurgelmeyer and make us the W2K fans happy :thumbup

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

lightninglord2000

lightninglord2000

• 18 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05
This may be a newbie's question but is there any way that I can integrate this SP5 with my Windows 2000 Pro setup CD?

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
Yes, you can slipstream it manually or with nlite
Posted Image

MajorGeeks

MajorGeeks

• 11 posts
  • Joined 25-October 05
Yeah, we were pretty excited when we saw it. 2k has a lot of users still. We lose money hosting a file like this, but its just too cool not to have in our archives. We love free cool stuff. :)

There are a lot of people (me included) that think that your work on the USP5 is very important. W2K is my favorite OS and I'm not gonna give it up that easy. So keep up the good work Gurgelmeyer and make us the W2K fans happy :thumbup

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04
@gurglemeyer,

you said, that slipstreaming is terrible, oke here i must agrea,
but even though it might be slower and compresion might be worse,
wouldn't it be an idea to create 2 packages,

sp5 (you done that part)
and sp5.1_extrame

but also, reactive exe files that install a windows component with the
/silent parameter,

what that does is, anable us to run full cumulative installs from cmdlines.txt (outside of the servicepack.inf files)
even though it might take some extra space and install time
it also would alow to leave out certain components, (i for one dont look forward to first updating all ie-files and than removing them with Nlite, - cuz im probebly not confident that Nlite wont screw me up with it).

Anyone for comments??????
[message of the .....whatever]
Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!
Where is the "any key" ???

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05

Don't worry - I will maintain four packages - the "unbloated" USP 5.0 - and the "slightly bloated" USP 5.1 Basic Edition, the "sligthly more bloated" USP 5.1 Standard Edition, and the really bloated USP 5.1 Extreme Edition..

All will be in ONE download - which will not be significantly larger than the current USP 5.0 SR1. My guess is <250 MB.

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
are the other editions ready :)
Posted Image

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
I'm building 5.1 Standard Edition right now :)

(OOOPS - it beeped - gotta run....)

MajorGeeks

MajorGeeks

• 11 posts
  • Joined 25-October 05
Could you email em at tim@ if you update it. Got confused this morning as the other site bumped it as news, but it is the exact same file.

I'm building 5.1 Standard Edition right now :)

(OOOPS - it beeped - gotta run....)

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
SoftPedia, MajorGeeks, and Will, you'll receive a PM when things become ready for release :yes:

Thanks a million for hosting my work - I really appreciate it ;)

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Joined 07-June 02
Yeap no problem. :)

Good night,

Will
Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.73 Beta Build 30552/2275
Adverts removed by Ad Muncher: 2,200,586
Approximate bandwidth saved: 17,192 MB
Counter started: April 2, 2003

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04

All will be in ONE download - which will not be significantly larger than the current USP 5.0 SR1. My guess is <250 MB.

@ gurglemeyer...
you sayd an 'ALL-IN-One' download right???
so whats upt with that? wil it be an iso-file, that has more than one installer (but nog compiled to an exe.
or wil it be a (custom made) installer with options to choce what version youd like.
tell me, im quite curious..

@anyone who might know-
Is it likely that Nlite will stil be able to remove IE/OE from a USP5.1 CD???

Edited by -I-, 05 November 2005 - 02:35 PM.

Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
@-I- I'm not sure myself. I could make a regular crosslinked iso without the exe-packaging. (I wouldl include a 'stub' w2ksp5.exe instead then). I'm doing everything possible to remain compatible with nLite btw. So there's a good chance that you may use nLite to remove IE6 too :lol:

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04

Over at the Neowin forums i ran into this topic
http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=305221

they suggested replacing the nt boot loader of 2k with that of xp to speed up the booting process.

after some looking on the web i was able to do it. it does help. it does boot faster than it did before, as in getting to the logo faster. the two files I replaced are ntdetect.com and ntldr

i would say about a 5 seconds faster. Try it out on your test machines and let me know if it works for you and how much faster it boots :)

Would this be a nice 'add one' to the extreme edition?? 'd like to try it LOL.

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05

It DOES work - I did this myself about a year ago. I've often wondered what the 2K loader does differently - maybe the XP loader skips MCA and EISA checks. Does anyone know?

I think I'll start an "Extreme Edition" thread... one moment ;)

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer, 12 November 2005 - 04:01 PM.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04
il have to try this on my laptop machine tommorrow its runne sp5 [build 11]
and i could use a bit of a speed-up LOL

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
The boot loader from 2k3 works a little better, tried it myself
Posted Image

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04
hmmz have to get that one at my work's - dont have a copy @ home lol, (i think)

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Using a bootloader from a different OS might be illegal in MS' view.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
@prathapml - This is my major concern actually. There's plenty of stuff which could be added from other OS'es, but that wouldn't be legal. Nor would it be fair to MS, since those features are selling points for their later OS'es. I believe that Gape's 1.x USP's for 98SE had some Me components, which he had to remove in later versions (correct me if I'm wrong here), so the only way of doing this would be to somehow change the existing OS loader to behave like the NT 5.1+ versions.

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03

The boot loader from 2k3 works a little better, tried it myself

I can confirm that. Using it on my notebook

slippykillsticks

slippykillsticks

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 29-May 05

@prathapml - This is my major concern actually. There's plenty of stuff which could be added from other OS'es, but that wouldn't be legal. Nor would it be fair to MS, since those features are selling points for their later OS'es. I believe that Gape's 1.x USP's for 98SE had some Me components, which he had to remove in later versions (correct me if I'm wrong here), so the only way of doing this would be to somehow change the existing OS loader to behave like the NT 5.1+ versions.

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

Then let's just stick with what's legal. That means using only stock Windows 2000 stuff, straight from M$ website (and the updates you've gotten that aren't available for public download. You had the right idea to begin with -- having a fully-updated W2K.

There are plenty of other projects on MSFN which allow people to add goodies and so forth, but yours is not one of them, and has never been one of them, which is a god thing, in my opinion. Your project has always been about producing a fully and completely updated Windows 2000 with all options included, not a modification of the OS.

When you first started, your goal was a fully-updated W2K - not a customized/hacked W2K setup. I mean no disrespect, but the Extreme Edition seems like it should be just W2K with ALL optional updates included (as you originally planned) -- no mods, hacks, or anything that might deviate from plain-jane W2K. The regular edition is just all "essential" or "required" updates, as it has been.

I just want to say thanks again for all of your hard work. :) Can you believe you've been at this nearly a year now? :thumbup

Edited by slippykillsticks, 13 November 2005 - 11:02 AM.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04

Using a bootloader from a different OS might be illegal in MS' view.

Yep - entirely TRUE.

so the only way of doing this would be to somehow change the existing OS loader to behave like the NT 5.1+ versions.

Then let's just stick with what's legal. That means using only stock Windows 2000 stuff,

Nope, because:
  • Changing (hacking into) MS's files is also considered illigal,
  • As wel as redistributing MS's files without prior written 'concent' (is that actualy the right word?)
  • Another illigal thing is to publicly release 'beta-hotfixes'. and 'non-public hotfixes'
  • And besides the 3 prior reasons, there might be dozens more to think of.
So the questiong here, should probebly NOT be, is this ligal (because it already isn't),
but rather, how far do we want to go here, and how mutch will MS alow us to stredge thair, EULA?

in my opinion it goes about somthing like this.
For a while now, MS has introduced a new windows update site with the 'genuime windows check', right???
That means that you should have a valid windows machine at the time of downloading the optional windows xp files. ntdlr and stuf. so lets stick to that part, (not in any way, release xp files),

but since for now, USP5 only contains windows 2k files, and it is released on serveral mayor websites, i think it is safe to say, that MS wont mind it to mutch, (or they would have contacted you already),
so lets stick to JUST windows 2k files.

So how to get the XP files into our USP5-EE?
here is 1 option, lets build some sort of batch file, or wizard that completely explains how to get it done.
the next wil be an example of what it could look like...

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by -I-, 13 November 2005 - 11:48 AM.

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03

So how to get the XP files into our USP5-EE?
here is 1 option, lets build some sort of batch file, or wizard that completely explains how to get it done.
the next wil be an example of what it could look like...

I TOTALLY AGREE. Except perhaps one thing. U specified an URL that would be given to end user so he could DL such componants. I thing MS wouldn't like that very much since he would have no way of knowing whether the end user uses genuine software or not. I would just say that the updated files should be taken of the END-USER CD.

ex:
Want to update Win2k with XP bootloader?
Simple just put your WinXP CD in and USP will extract the neccessary files nedeed.
IMHO M$ won't mind that.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04
yes the would.....
using a link like: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en
would enable them to require genuine check.

[EDIT]
this would btw, require windows XP (or 2003) te be installed on a machine, when creating our win2k sp5 [extreme] cd, to be able to download the required hotfixed, but you could of course also manualy extract the files from your windows cdrom (what ever you chose,

In that case, the wizzard should probebly also indicate the files, that you'd have to extract to your c:\hoxfixes folder (instead of the extracted hotfixes (like shown in the example).

Edited by -I-, 16 November 2005 - 05:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN