Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

win2k hotstream - topic continued

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
Hi :)

Yes, that would be the right way to do it ;)

But the more I think about it, the less I feel like adding XP stuff to the EE. Mostly because adding such components should be a different project entirely (not necessarily done by me).

And honestly, all I ever wanted myself was to fix the bugs - but adding IE6 and other optional components has turned out to be great fun. For now I'll stick with the W2K components - those require plenty of work anyway :lol:

You guys might remember that I mentioned an "integrate-only" version of the upcoming USP 5.1 - but I couldn't help myself, so I've done the install/uninstall part too now. USP 5.1 RC1 is done except for three registry values or so. Also I have added all applicable security fixes and even more hotfixes - and there will be a USP 5.0 SR2 too.

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer, 18 November 2005 - 03:01 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04
Gurgle, I stand corrected, you are absolutely right.

its probebly not worth it anyways. (most of the tweaks could easely be done by a .batch file and in total would probebly not take even as much af 5mb on your cdrom,
There aren't that many files that would work this way, anyways
so i guess a howto guide with a plain texteditor and some free time on hands would be way better starting point.
[message of the .....whatever]
Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!
Where is the "any key" ???

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Joined 07-June 02
My ftp is getting lonly. ;)

Statistics for Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/5629 (Free) 

Adverts removed: 6,649,007
Bandwidth saved: 195,746 MB 
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Alexander Maxim

Alexander Maxim
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-October 05
Hi Gurgelmeyer and everybody,
Any news? :huh:

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
USP 5.1 due out soon. Due to heath problems the work is not going as fast as antipated. Please be patient.
Posted Image

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Joined 07-June 02
For Janis:

Janis Wrote:

Hello!

My name is Janis but in English it could sound John.

And I'm from in to EU country Latvia.

I'm happy to see w2k SP5. I just made w2k unattended CD with some software because I'm bored all that time reinstall user's workstations.

I do not have active directory and I do not use RIS and bla, bla MS sh..., because I prefer SAMBA PD C and open source software. But standard users is very hard force use Linux.

I'm wondering maybe it could be good idea include in to your SP5

form http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Why? For example I made some of software with .msi or .exe file /s /silent e.t.c

After the unattended installation runs may cmd script it get stupid notice that some of the silent key what I use not supported.

After I integrate v3.1 installer all scripts runs ok.

Are you going to make something for windows XP? Did you heard something about SUS?

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

DanceMan

DanceMan

• 17 posts
  • Joined 01-October 04

USP 5.1 due out soon. Due to heath problems the work is not going as fast as antipated. Please be patient.

Trying hard to be patient. I've slipstreamed USP5.0 SR1 and it's great. But I removed OE and WMP with nLite, and ic.exe puts OE back in again. And because ic is a package, I can't remove it with Add/Remove Programs.

I'm hoping that when 5.1 comes out, I'll be able to remove OE while slipstreaming it with nLite.

Hoping you're feeling better, Gurgelmeyer, and not just for 5.1. All your hard work has made a difference for thousands of us out here.

Edited by DanceMan, 08 December 2005 - 06:47 PM.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04

I'm hoping that when 5.1 comes out, I'll be able to remove OE while slipstreaming it with nLite.

dont worry it will work..because IE and OE will than be slipstreamed,
instead of installed as hotfix afterward, - so nline will be able to remove it as usual. just hang on for a bit longer.

I'm wondering maybe it could be good idea include in to your SP5 <link to MS installer 3.1>

im not sure about it but, as i believe Windows Installer 3.1 was already planned for the 5.1 release.

Edited by -I-, 09 December 2005 - 04:05 AM.

Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
Hello everyone :)

Well - I'm back - although my PC is overheated it does seem to run (and I do keep backups!). I'll have to go back to the hospital later this month, but for know I'm just fine :)

Today is exactly ONE YEAR ago that I started looking into W2K hotfixes - so what better way to celebrate than to release USP 5.1 Basic Edition...? I intend to upload the final version later this week, because it's actually done now. And what's in it? MSI 3.1 v2, BITS 2.0, IE 6.0 SP1, OE 6.0 SP1, WAB 6.0 SP1, ALL critical updates from WU, all updates and fixes (including some non-publicly available) for IE6/OE6, and even more non-publicly available hotfixes for W2K than USP 5.0 SR1. With USP 5.1 installed MSURP1 will no longer show up on WU.

I might sqeeze in a USP 5.0 SR2 release just before xmas too with all the new hotfixes and security updates for W2K and IE501/OE55.

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

(PS - my messenger is full - sorry if I can't answer everyone right away - but I'll try)

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04
love to get my hands on im realy up for it,
going to give full atention to:
> Windows 200 Profesional
> Windows 2000 Server
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server

If all goes well, (and I do have some realy good expactations),
I'll post about it on this, and probely most of the other websites as well.

Anyone who is willing, and has the 'right' skills, is more than welcome to review and test the 5.1 version,
If indead its a GO I will advice 'corporate users' to start testion compatibility with thair systems, so it may even become stable enougth for 'corporate use'

Edited by -I-, 11 December 2005 - 02:50 PM.

Alexander Maxim

Alexander Maxim
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-October 05

Hello everyone :)

Well - I'm back - although my PC is overheated it does seem to run (and I do keep backups!). I'll have to go back to the hospital later this month, but for know I'm just fine :)

Today is exactly ONE YEAR ago that I started looking into W2K hotfixes - so what better way to celebrate than to release USP 5.1 Basic Edition...? I intend to upload the final version later this week, because it's actually done now. And what's in it? MSI 3.1 v2, BITS 2.0, IE 6.0 SP1, OE 6.0 SP1, WAB 6.0 SP1, ALL critical updates from WU, all updates and fixes (including some non-publicly available) for IE6/OE6, and even more non-publicly available hotfixes for W2K than USP 5.0 SR1. With USP 5.1 installed MSURP1 will no longer show up on WU.

I might sqeeze in a USP 5.0 SR2 release just before xmas too with all the new hotfixes and security updates for W2K and IE501/OE55.

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

(PS - my messenger is full - sorry if I can't answer everyone right away - but I'll try)

Great news! :D

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Joined 07-June 02
Glad to see your back m8!

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05

@Janis - yep, I ought to look into (W)SUS.

/G B)

Alexander Maxim

Alexander Maxim
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-October 05
Unofficial SP5.1 has arrived. Softpedia link:
http://www.softpedia...icial-SP5.shtml
Thanx Gurgelmeyer and everybody who helped on this project.

Dafer

Dafer
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 09-January 06

Unofficial SP5.1 has arrived. Softpedia link:
http://www.softpedia...icial-SP5.shtml
Thanx Gurgelmeyer and everybody who helped on this project.

Thanx for providing a direct link

Thanx to the one how made this pack

I have two questions

Was this pack made so that it can be included on the W2K CD?

If the answer is no, Do I have to have sp4 installed to update to this pack?

thanx

Edited by Dafer, 09 January 2006 - 05:17 PM.

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
It can be slipstreamed as a service pack. It contains all the fixes to date.
Posted Image

Dafer

Dafer
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 09-January 06
thanx dirtwarrior :)

mat7h3w

mat7h3w

• 19 posts
  • Joined 24-October 05
Thanks for the amazing update pack for Win2k. As an OS, it might not have all the eye candy like XP, but Win2k Pro is still my favorite Windows based OS. Hands down, in more ways than one, it can easily be argued as one of if not the best versions of Windows ever released by Microsoft.

I have a couple of questions because I cannot seem to find any sort of listing of what all is included in this Service pack.

1. Is Windows Media Player 9 included? If not, is there a method for integrating it into the source CD with your pack like can be done with nLite?

2. Is DirectX 9.0c and later updates to Direct X included? If not, again, is there a method for including it onto the source CD like with nLite or similar?
When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Dels

Dels

X2K Project Leader

• PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06
@mat7h3w
i think media player 4 and dx9c not included in this current version (5.1 Final), you can integrate it as a hotfix (need to know some switch, but media player 9 didn't require it)

check in this site : http://unattended.msfn.org/
Posted Image
X2K Project
Click Me

Kramy

Kramy

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Check out HFSLIP if you need to slipstream DirectX 9.0c in. My dx90c installer crashes with some error, so slipstreaming was the only option.

HFSLIP doesn't support USP 5.x though, so you'd have to add a few lines here and there to get it to properly slipstream it. I've already done so, but I'm still fixing missing-file copy errors from nLiting it after. nLite doesn't expect you to have an updated DirectX and other stuff, so you have to tell it not to remove required files. In my case, I'm slipstreaming required codecs right into windows, and it keeps bitching about missing inf files.

If you would like the .cmd file modifications you can PM me, though I'll probably make a topic about it in the next couple days(or weeks), once I get it working fine.
IBM Thinkpad 390e (WinXP) - nLited
Athlon XP 2800+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Athlon XP 2000+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Compaq Presario 5008 (WinXP) - HFSLIP+nLited

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04
why the big isue - DX9 can be installed un-ataanded form svcpck.inf (or whatever its called) (if somewone erly wants it it would be (for now) way easier to create a extreme compressed SFX (about 20mb?)

and if that realy doesn't work id realy rather start have a verry long look at G's work and ad the darn DX-comp myself rather than trying to find the way to slipstream updates on 2 diferent ways....
(thats just asking for probs)....

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Joined 27-January 05
Hi everyone :)

Since this seems to be the "main thread" I better post this here: I've decided to rebuild and release USP 5.1 build 19 (Service Release 1). It contains about 30 more non-public hotfixes, and all security fixes.

I also have such a thing as my USP 5.02 BUILD 15 PERSONAL EDITION. I've REMOVED Automatic Updates and Set Program Access and Defaults entirely from this edition (because these were not originally part of W2K). It was built in December, and this is what I use myself on my workstation. Would anyone want it?

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
The personal edition sounds great. Thanks
dirt
Posted Image

Dels

Dels

X2K Project Leader

• PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06
and dont forget for adding wmp9 and dx9c in the pack :D
Posted Image
X2K Project
Click Me

NotVeryNice

NotVeryNice
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 05-October 04

Hi everyone :)

Since this seems to be the "main thread" I better post this here: I've decided to rebuild and release USP 5.1 build 19 (Service Release 1). It contains about 30 more non-public hotfixes, and all security fixes.

I also have such a thing as my USP 5.02 BUILD 15 PERSONAL EDITION. I've REMOVED Automatic Updates and Set Program Access and Defaults entirely from this edition (because these were not originally part of W2K). It was built in December, and this is what I use myself on my workstation. Would anyone want it?

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

Where can we get the updated 5.1 build 19? I'm planning on doing a new install this afternoon.