Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

win2k hotstream - topic continued

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
@NotVeryNice - You cannot - I'm fixing the DOS setup problem at the moment (the "WINNT.EXE" problem mentioned in the other threads). I'd rather not release anything with any known bugs :) And the solution is unfortunately not as simple as suggested.

I'll release my personal December edition of the ancient USP 5.0 too - it's especially good for servers - and completely "unsupported" btw :D

/G B)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
hmmz, might be an evil sugestion but,

> whats up with dos-based anyways,
> does dis also affect windows 2k update (update a current instal),

i mean installing 2k from dos / win 9x (or even from win NTx), was never a good idea anyway as M$ often argued it crashes because of memory-isues, on most (old) computers,

any feedback????
[message of the .....whatever]
Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!
Where is the "any key" ???

At0mic

At0mic

Enthusiast

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

hmmz, might be an evil sugestion but,

> whats up with dos-based anyways,
> does dis also affect windows 2k update (update a current instal),

i mean installing 2k from dos / win 9x (or even from win NTx), was never a good idea anyway as M$ often argued it crashes because of memory-isues, on most (old) computers,

any feedback????

Yes I've got a very old Toshiba Portege 320CT laptop which doesn't have a CD-ROM. I fitted its harddrive to my main PC using a 2.5inch to 3.5inch adapter. I then formated it using FORMAT C: /S and I copied the i386 folder into the D: drive along which SMARTDRV.EXE

I then put the harddrive back into my laptop and it booted into DOS. I loaded SMARTDRV and then installed Windows 2000.
You can enter max 4 lines of text in signature or signature image.

Daemonforce

Daemonforce

Spider? Where?

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
*walks into thread*
:huh:

Would it be possible to use Hotstream to integrate IE 6.0 into Windows 2000 prior to installation?

At0mic

At0mic

Enthusiast

• PipPip
  • 288 posts
Hotstream is a service pack. you cant use a service pack to intergrate something. you need a tool to intergate something.

If you want to intergate IE6 you can use HFSLIP. However, I dont think HFSLIP is compatible with hotstream

The latest hotstream or USP does contain IE6

Edited by At0mic, 25 March 2006 - 07:37 PM.

You can enter max 4 lines of text in signature or signature image.

Electrician

Electrician

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
I have used both usp 5.0 and 5.1 as the base for hfslip, esp since
I wanted IE 6, DX9c, and newer fixes slipped onto disk.
THEN I tweak the reg and add my own 'goodies'.
Works just fine ! Sorta of my own extreme version. :)

Kramy

Kramy

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

If you want to intergate IE6 you can use HFSLIP. However, I dont think HFSLIP is compatible with hotstream

That was one of my projects a while ago. Making HFSLIP not complain took about 4 lines, and 15 minutes of my time. However, I never checked if everything was properly slipstreamed in, and it's possible HFSLIP didn't know USP5.1 has extra stuff. I verified an HFSLIP'd Win2k with USP5.1 had IE5 installed, but slipstreaming IE6 in is quite easy.
IBM Thinkpad 390e (WinXP) - nLited
Athlon XP 2800+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Athlon XP 2000+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Compaq Presario 5008 (WinXP) - HFSLIP+nLited

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

the latest release is 5.1 and does contain IE6 SPI, OE 6, DirectX 7 ....

im realy curious about any progress in this matter, and you totaly convinced me that im 'wrong' but in the mean time, id advice you to try a 'clean windows install (doesn't care if is sp 0 1 2 3 or 4, and in unattend.txt add a line with the guirunonce section to W2KSP5.exe /q:a ?? or what ever un-attended switch is posible ...
at least as long as no-one has found a fix...
Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
about the HFSLIP thing, i can confirm what Electrician writes and state that we had compatability in mind with USP. i mean, there might be some mild competition at work between the two products, but ultimately we would rather it worked than have things break and have people blame one or both projects :D

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
besides lets face it, uSP may be a lot simple'er to slipstream for a regular user, and also supports updating an already installed system, it lacks international (non us/uk) support, i realy think there shouldn't even be competition, (but rather learn from eatch other),

for both the projects have there pro's and cons, (and i for one think that, they can perfectly co-exits, (each with its own targeted usergroups))....

Edited by -I-, 01 April 2006 - 02:57 PM.

Alexander Maxim

Alexander Maxim
  • 8 posts
I see that a new update has been released: 5.1.2195, updated in 16 April. I sent the update info to Softpedia.

Alexander Maxim

Alexander Maxim
  • 8 posts
Any news, Gurgelmeyer? :huh: :unsure: :(

SammyDawn

SammyDawn

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
The unofficial SP5 Needs to be updated again

You know patched up JScript, MDAC, WMP9 and others.

Also what about MS06-040. Since DHS is warning about vunerabilities shouldn't he patch up his SP5 till this date.

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
I'm sure G is completely and utterly unaware of these matters and appreciates your bringing them to his attention.

SammyDawn

SammyDawn

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
I also think that Directx 9.0c or just 9 to be in SP5 too because it's more up to date, it could be more secure, and better performance.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
they wil be - hopefully sooner than later. - yet no-one choses himself to be ill or sick. - so lets all just hope he gets realy well soon, |

SammyDawn

SammyDawn

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
Well while i'm waiting I have tried to modify the SP5 myself (just for me not and for anybody else).

it also seems like a lot of updates you just copy and replace the file in SP5 so modification is very easy.

I think I had 8 updates left to integrate so after my little modification I only needed to install 4 hotfixes left. I actually did all 8 but I think 4 needed registry entrees which I didn't know what to do.

I am not trying to take anyones place i'm just tired of waiting so I puted the updates and added the Update references into the update.inf to install more hotfixes.

That way hotfixes don't get messy and I don't have all these errors.

Sorry I just couldn't wait anymore.

Edited by SammyDawn, 15 August 2006 - 01:05 AM.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
fixing the reg - is probably the harders part ...

SammyDawn

SammyDawn

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
Do you think maybe someone could work on the unofficial service pack 5 while hes sick?

Maybe someone can make a unofficial service pack 6!

Also one more thing if I modify any SP5 files with upgrades how do I input it into a SP Installer, or even how do I make a service pack installer.

Edited by SammyDawn, 22 August 2006 - 11:40 AM.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
ive tryed extracting the installer myself, but realy without Gurglemeyers help im quite stuck in how this actualy works...

if id understand this a bit better i would have taken some steps myself in adding at least the most important updates...

Aegis

Aegis

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
What updates are missing from USP5?

jstephan

jstephan
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,

i know these post is very very old, but maybe somone still read it.

I installed an Windows 2000 pro at the weekend, just for playing around. Now i found the unofficial Service Pack.
As my setup language is German, i can not install the Pack. Any ideas, any help?

Regrads

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
Unpack the archive. Go to i386\update. Open update.inf and under [Version] set "LanguageType" to "0x00", and also remove all entries under all [ProductCatalogsToInstall*] sections. Save the changes and run update.exe. Most of your system will probably change into English after the installation.
post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN