Fujitsu Laptop xp pro

yeoman

hi i have a fujistu laptop siemens

1.4ghz

256mb ram

40gb hdd

its pretty bare specs....i want to know if anyone could specify any good software with low resources..that dont use too much ram

It depends on what software categories you are looking for, do you have an OS installed, do you have any software installed?

If you can say what type of software you need we can recommend good programs for you.

The specs on that system ain´t to bad, you could do worse than to upgrade the ram to start with. there is no reason that should not run XP with a good selection of software, I find with a lower spec system, tweaking system resources is an excellent way of getting that little bit more and helping your system run smoothly.

Be a bit more specific as to your needs and I will give you a few ideas.

Edited by G30

i just want a good anti-virus software that uses low system resources..and i want my laptop to run smoothly.......

i have a fresh install of xp pro now..

i use windows firewall

and previously i used kaspersky pro 5 but i experienced lag when booting up xp...takes ages to load at startup..i tried msconfig to disable some unesserary apps

i just want some tweak...that will make my laptop run smoother...and some low resource security appz

if anyone could state some good performance tweak that would be great.....ive checked out the one on www.msfn.org already.

Edited by yeoman

i just want a good anti-virus software that uses low system resources..and i want my laptop to run smoothly.......

this is my fith format since buying the laptop....i installed kaspersky pro 5...when i install it i experience lag when booting xp...along with nod32....

i just want some tweak...that will make my laptop run smoother...and some low resource security appz

Fifth fomat! so you have only just started then! LOL no seriously, I get a lot of recommendations for AVG antivirus, get the free version, it seems to run well and not chew up sys resources like norton 2005 does on my machine.

As for getting that little more out of your system, without knowing your specifc settings, first up, try tweaking your BIOS settings and then also limiting what programs start up with your computer, hit start > run > MSCONFIG then go to the startup tab and see what programs are running.

If you are confident to know what you need with startup then go ahead and disable items you do not need straight away. (when the computer restarts be sure to check the box on the prompt that appears as the pc starts)

Also in the services tab, again if you feel confident, turn off any services you do not think you need.

These are just basic tweaks to help boost your pc, if you look in the tweaks section here, I am sure you will find a whole lot more!

If you get stuck, just holler.

Make sure your install of XP is an nLite install.

Make sure you turn of system restore, and indexing service if you are not using it.

Make sure that you go here :

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/i...w/registry-fix/

and apply some of the filesytem tweaks, like disabling tiemstamps and so on to speed up hdd performance. Also go to cmd prompt and type in without quotes "diskperf -N".

Go to www.blackviper.com and check out what services you can disable just as teh above poster said.

Also check out tweaks that could apply to you in conjunction to the above mentioned registry site...www.tweakxp.com.

And get executive diskkeeper pro. CHange the MFT setting to the recommended setting.

Get CCleaner and System Mechanic so you are able to keep the registry light and also you are able to defrag and compact the registry before reboot using System Mechanic.

Then do a boot time defrag using Executive Diskkeeper once all your softwares are installed so every thing gets optimzied on the hdd for maximum performance.

And if possible upgrade RAM.

Hope all this helps and I didnt confuse you. Also this forum is great for people who want to tweak the s**t out of their comps so keep searching and reading posts.