Linking to Shared Files on another computer...

XL-DJK

I have a question, it may be stupid, but here goes:

I set up a small home network between my parents computers thru a Router they use so they can share files with each other by just clicking on My Network Places.

eg. Mother sends my father a file, she clicks on My Network Places/Send to Father/(places file here)

eg. Father clicks on My Network Places/Receive from Mother/(file placed by mother)

Is it possible for me to gain access to this little Netowrk I created between them being that I live elsewhere? If so, how do I do this, I know both their IPs and Gateway...does this matter? :blushing:

BELL SYMPATICO HI-SPEED (TELEPHONE MODEM)

MOTHER SETUP: all setup through Router from Modem

IP address: 192.168.0.134

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

My Network Places - Computer ID on MSHOME: ECS-PIV1600MHZ

BELL SYMPATICO HI-SPEED (TELEPHONE MODEM)

FATHER SETUP: all setup through Router from Modem

IP address: 192.168.0.140

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

My Network Places - Computer ID on MSHOME: VIA-AMD1600MHZ

MYSELF USING ROGERS HI-SPEED EXTREME (CABLE MODEM)

MYSELF SETUP: all Direct through CableModem

IP address: 70.29.181.90

Gateway: 70.29.181.1

My Network Places - Computer ID on MSHOME: ASUS-P4P800SE

Do I need they're connection specific DNS Suffix to link to them? or am I just talking complete jibberish? lol

...and yes, they've given me permission to do this:).. I just don't know how...

Edited by XL-DJK95355

Is it possible for me to gain access to this little Netowrk I created between them being that I live elsewhere? If so, how do I do this, I know both their IPs and Gateway...does this matter? :blushing:

Nope. However, you could use online applications such as LogMeIn, Gotomypc.

Yes it is very possible. You are going to have to create a VPN connection though. Post back what router you are using and what operating systems are involoved and I can give you more specific information. Or search for info on setting up a VPN. I know for a fact there are other posts in this forum detailing VPNs I just can't find them right now.

ftp can do this........much simpler to setup than vpn with 2 workstations(non-servers)

A remote desktop client (RDP/VNC) is another alternative.. however you need to actually take control of their pc unless the program supports remote file transfer like PCAnywhere.. I have never messed with gotomypc or LogMeIn to know if htey support it or not..

But I say just set up an ftp server to make things easy on yourself

Well his general question was answered, is it possible with his current configuration, no.

However, if he wants to get involved with alternate resources such as VPN or the like he needs to purchase software or use some free software available on the net or just simply use Logmein or gotomypc which already incorporate the features. However, if you both own a linksys router (ie. SX41 or newer (any VPN enhanced router will do)) you can securely setup a lan to lan vpn connection. Then of course you will need to setup an account with a site as www.dyndns.org.

Edited by epic