Ques about ASPI insertion W2K3

ratba_tardly

Okay, I am going through the Method, and I am nearing the finish. Regarding get the Adaptec ASPI Layer files going into \WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory, what files should I place in the directory after unpacking the .exe from Adaptec? The files still require futher expansion to be used.

A recent thread mentions editing FDV's fileset. Is this fileset created after running HFSLIP the second time (Step 11)?

Step 5 also has me a bit confused. When/where do I generate the .REG tweak files to put in the HFSVPK folder? Registry Tweakage must be run on the machine I am using to generate the ISO? (Which is an XP machine. I do not have a copy of 2k3 installed yet.)

Thanks for any help.

rb

Edited by ratba_tardly

Just a pointer in the right direction perhaps, but FDV's fileset is on his Webpage. Along with excellent instruction/tutorials.

Oleg II can prolly help ya out with the reg tweak applications, I suppose if we asked real nice might get him to do a small thread on a brief walkthrough/step process for doing so.

A quicky one (going back in a while): all REG, INF, CMD files with tweaks are going to HFSVPK.

I use Nero aspi.dll and it doesn't need to be registered (just place it in system32). I have to look if I can find my disks with old installations where I use Adaptec drives. I only remember that some files went to system and some to system32.

Wait for a half of an hour when I'm back.

Instructions for HFEXPERT.zip

:: for ASPI 4.71.2

:: Add the following to the other IF EXIST statements below :HFEXPERT

IF EXIST HFEXPERT\DRIVERS\* CALL :HFEDRIVERS

:: Add the following in between :HFESYSTEM32 and :HFESYSTEM

:HFEDRIVERS
IF EXIST TEMP\DRIVERS\*.* XCOPY TEMP\DRIVERS\*.* WORK\I386E /Q/H/Y
FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR/B/ON/A-D TEMP\DRIVERS ^2^>NUL') DO (
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 (
ECHO %%I = 1,,,,,,,4,0,0 ;HFEXPERT>>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF
ECHO d1,%%I ;HFEXPERT>>SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF
)
)
GOTO EOF

:: Unpack the zip file to \HFSLIP\HFEXPERT

<Edit>

Delete the instructions as required

</Edit>

Edited by Yzöwl

crash,

Strange that that same step is not in the 2k3 Method. Since it applies to more than just IE, it would still be useful, wouldn't it?

The walk-through would be helpful. I have little or no experience with these things in the NT to XP world.

An additional question about using the command d:\sp\i386\update\update.exe -s:d:\ (using Fred's example in step 2.): shouldn't the file dates change in D:\i386 as a result of the update? Nothing happens when I type the command as shown, except that I immediately get a new prompt. It seems like I should see something going on.

rb

An additional question about using the command d:\sp\i386\update\update.exe -s:d:\ (using Fred's example in step 2.): shouldn't the file dates change in D:\i386 as a result of the update? Nothing happens when I type the command as shown, except that I immediately get a new prompt. It seems like I should see something going on.

rb

Wow! I have nothing to say :)

Very quick and very good one! Thanks!

Hope you are not angree with me :unsure:

ratba_tardly

Oops... HFEXPERT doesn't know Drivers folder :( so you may use OEM folders or create a self-extracting installer (or wait TommyP implements Yzöwl's script if you don't know how to insert it).

Edited by Oleg_II

rat-astardly, i have not developed IE removal for XP or Win2k3. i suppose i would gladly do 2k3 some day but i just have not had the time yet. anyone is of course welcome to apply my information and make their own fileset for XP or 2k3. i could host them if necessary. as for yzowl, what he posted is an addition to HFSLIP that implements what you request -- adding ASPI. the instructions are in the first few lines. HFSLIP is open source and tommyp is not the least bit uptight about suggested mods, additions, changes (he might not implement everything, but examine the code, you'll see he does adopt input from users here). :thumbup

unlike, you know, other software offerings who don't want you looking at their source :whistle:

fdv,

Ok, I will do the ASPI thing later, or use Oleg's suggestion.

What! I will end up with IE in 2k3? Auggghhh! Oh, s***e.

Would you please comment about the update command? It seems like there ought to be some way to verify that the changes in i386 were performed. I can't follow Oleg's comment at all.

Thanks,

rb

ratba_tardly

Forget it. It happens with me very often :blushing: I confuse it with Windows 2000 (if I have it that doesn't mean everybody else has it too :rolleyes:

But ater updating there should be a message to inform you that update is performed? And (compairing with W2k) there is probably one more file alone with the i386 folder (for SP4 in W2k it is cdromsp4.tst (see last letters?).

Edited by Oleg_II

@saugatak,

Thanks. I figured I'd get a "RTFM" reply! Just shows to go ya...

@tommyp

The ASPI layer has to do with SCSI devices, and I guess some ATAPI devices as well.

Nobody cares to advise about the update.exe question? I don't think anything happens when I run the command like the instructions say. I thought of something though...I am using a mapped network drive for "D:" from the XP machine, which is my wife's laptop from work. I don't know why this would make a difference, but it is the only thing I can find that doesn't conform exactly to Fred's instructions. The files extracted from the 2k3 installation disk in D:\i386 have a date stamp of 9/10/03. The SP files have a date of 3/25/05. The files in the D:\i386 don't change.

She is going to be taking this laptop back to work Friday, so I would like to wrap up soon.

Thanks,

rb

@ratba_tardly - I'm guessing the update.exe question is for slipstreaming a service pack into your source. I'm guessing it depends on what OS you are running and what you are slipstreaming. Here is a

link that may help you out.