dotnetfx 2.0

n00b

You can do the administrative install, but you'll end up with a file that's larger than the original.

Also... try running the installer from a command line with the /q switch. Sometimes it'll find you what you're looking for. ;)

Figurees... The day I FINALLY get my Multiboot DVD in it's sweet spot Microsoft releases this thing, and now I have to go in and make a small change...

Oh weell, I least I heelped Bashrat solvee the nForcee Mass Storagee problem...

And yes the keyboard I'm using is adding extra e's heree aree theere... Sorry....

*sigh*

does /q:a /r:n works?

does /q:a /r:n works on 32 & 64 version? thanks.

Did you read my post at all?

I'm guessing 90% of the time you can find the silent install switches either by looking at the type of installer (and a bit of searching), or by running the installer with a /? switch.

If you did that, you'd see a window like this:

NET_Switches.JPG

Either that or you can extract the contents and run the install.exe from there (repeat process to find the switch ;)).

Or... you can find my switchless installer. Look in the Technology News section. :)

Edited by Zxian

Haven't tried that one before nmX.Memnoch. I'll give that a try later.

This is what I use, and it will install silently without rebooting:

dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"

Worked for my 32bit install. Haven't tested x64 yet, will get to that tomorrow.

ok, off topic and maybe a stupid question, but do you need .net framework v1.0 or 1.1 installed for most programs AS WELL as 2.0 or can you just have 2.0??? I searched microsoft but had no luck

2.0 is stand alone, but not sure if it is backwards compatible yet.

Repacked unattended installations:

.NET Framework 2.0 (x86) (16,1 Mb)

.NET Framework 2.0 (x64) (24,2 Mb)

(second file i didn't tryed, coz i doesn't have 64-bit windows).

Can I put your file in the svcpack directory and have it called through the svcpack.inf, or should I make this one have a new entry in WPI? (I've been putting the .NET 1 in the svcpack directory....)

I'll tell you if you're 64-bit version works in a few moments as I'm now integrating these into my DVD....

Edited by Nakatomi2010

The posts from the comments on the main page may give some insight into backwards compatability.

#1 Posted by Aegis (460 posts) at 27 Oct 2005 - 23:47

Does it offer backwards compatibility?

#2 Posted by travisowens (42 posts) at 28 Oct 2005 - 00:28 3 Replies

No, each version of .Net is seperate in order to gaurentee 100% "compatbility", if .Net 2.0 could run 1.0 or 1.1 apps would it would add a ton of testing that neither IT nor MS wans to do, norneed to.

While 30-100megs per .Net version isn't tiny, considering HDs are 120gig-400gig now-a-days, .NET isn't that big either.

#2.1 Posted by snekul (53 posts) at 28 Oct 2005 - 00:33

Let's rephrase the first question. Does installing the .Net 2.0 redistributable package install the 1.1 components recessary to run a program, like nlite? Or, do we need to install both. I would like to think it installs everything .Net wise, but I could be wrong.

#2.2 Posted by snekul (53 posts) at 28 Oct 2005 - 01:39

Well, I answered my own question. I found my test VM I had didn't have any .net framwork installed, so I ran the 2.0 installer and then ran nlite and it worked just fine. So, I assume this is all you need to install to be .net friendly. Your results may vary.

#2.3 Posted by Ideas Man (296 posts) at 28 Oct 2005 - 02:31

Yes, it is backwards compatible, dunno what he was smokin'.

#3 Posted by Ideas Man (296 posts) at 28 Oct 2005 - 02:40

Woooooo! I LOVE .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0!! Yey, been waiting years for this.

#4 Posted by Aegis (460 posts) at 28 Oct 2005 - 03:32

I had similar findings. While .NET 2.0 does work for some applications, apparently it doesn't work for applications that check what version you're using. An example of a non-working program would be Microsoft's very own Student Graphing Calculator.