Wireless always disconnect

aska98

Hi everyone,

i have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router, and my pc is using Prolink WG2000 USB wireless adapter. And the signal strength is between good and low, and soemtime will get very good signal. The problem is, when i use my network for a period of time, about 1 hour or a few minute, the wireless will automatically disconnect. Sometime it will auto connect back the router, but sometime unable to find the router. What is the problem here??? :} If i use wire network, it will not have this problem. Please help me. Thanks.

This is likely because of the Wireless Zero Configuration service, which is supposed to search for the most reliable wireless network. In many cases, however, it just makes your service unreliable.

In order to turn it off, go to start->run and type "services.msc"

Scroll down to "Wireless Zero Configuration" and double click on it. Press "stop" and then set the "startup type" to "Manual"

If you ever find that it's not connecting to your network, you can go in and start the service, connect to the network, and then disable the service. It's likely that through this method you'll never have any more wireless problems. I know it fixed mine.

theres no way to fix it, thats just how wireless is. if you need wireless then consider investing in some pricy long range stuff.
I've never been kicked off my wireless connection at home. I had problems with the internet connection with the default firmware, but a firmware upgrade fixed that.
This is likely because of the Wireless Zero Configuration service, which is supposed to search for the most reliable wireless network. In many cases, however, it just makes your service unreliable.
Only disable the WZC service if you have third-party wireless management software. I don't use any third party tools, and the WZC service has never failed me (not to mention that it's a lot more light-weight than most third-party wifi managers).

The card's own configuration is what determines how much it will roam from one network to the other. Check under the hardware properties for the card (Device Manager->Wifi card->Advanced). Some cards have the "Roaming Aggressiveness" option, others don't. I know that the Intel 2200BG does (It's what I've got ;)).

Wireless isn't supposed to do that. Try upgrading the firmware of your router. If that doesn't work, reset the router's settings and change the channel (the default is usually 6 or 11, so something like 3 or 1 or 9 will do)
another 1 for updating the router firmware

Yup... always a good practice. Also, check for firmware/driver updates for your wireless card.

Make sure you have no other 2.4ghZ devices running around the house.

Or change the channel of the wireless access point to something other than the default of 6. I've got a 2.4 GHz cordless phone (base station on the other side of the house), and there aren't any signal or interference problems.

Make sure you have no other 2.4ghZ devices running around the house.

This would be one of the first things I would check--the biggest culprit is cordless telephones (or so has been my experience). If you live in an apartment complex or townhouse, etc. where you have close neighbors, it may not even be your appliances. We had a very similar problem where everytime the phone was in use, the wireless internet would cut out and reconnect once the phone was hung up, exactly like the way you describe.

Solutions: try changing channels, this won't cost you anything; it is possible that the interference is from other wireless networks (?), but may not be effective. if that doesn't work, you may have to get a different phone that operates on a different frequency (if you think it may be your cordless phone), or use 802.11a wireless protocol, which operates at a frequency with less common interference--although that may be pricy if you have to replace your equipment.

also if you have one of those huge fridges dont put the router around that, that screws up the signal too... my wireless used to get messed up all the time, in the end i just switched back to wires, its so much better imo :)

Wireless is a lot nicer than wired for laptop/PDA users. I can be anywhere in my house with my laptop and browse just like I can with my desktop. The only difference is that transferring files is a little slower than with wired connections, but if I want to do large file transfers, I'll plug in.

The only difference is that transferring files is a little slower than with wired connections, but if I want to do large file transfers, I'll plug in.

Heh, tell me about it. I'm still running two desktops on 802.11b. :}

If I had a job (and money) I'd upgrade! :D

Heh, tell me about it. I'm still running two desktops on 802.11b. :}

If I had a job (and money) I'd upgrade! :D

:o

Eep... I remember the times before I got my 802.11g wireless card in my laptop... so... slow...

Although somehow, I could still stream DivX/XviD movies. :yes: