Virus Warning

I have a router, I use Sygate and Trillian. My girlfriend managed to click some "web link" in a conversation window asking if it was my profile. I don't even have a profile but she didn't know that. It didn't open in Opera. She tried to save it, it was an "MS-DOS application". Sygate popped up notifying her, she clicked "Yes". :realmad: (This all happened while I was in the bathroom and afterwards generated a large fight). Anyway, the virus will crash any spyware tool you try to run, as well as HijackThis. It infects the Hosts files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\. It disguises itself as "csrss.exe" and puts 3 entries in your start-up. My immense experience messing with Windows allowed me to spot it pretty quickly. I used Kaspersky to find out about the infection to the Hosts files. It's a Trojan horse.

Anyway, I have instructed my girlfriend from this point on, to not matter what, click NO. :P

Just wanted everyone to be warned.

Sorry to say but... thats what you get running as administrator. lol

Well, don't you feel special? :whistle: I am not a moron. If I was at the PC instead of in the bathroom, I wouldn't have this problem. I have a lot of common sense when it comes to security. E-mail, p2p, compressed archives, Sygate notifications, router configurations. I listen to the Security Now! podcasts done by Steve Gibson and Leo on GRC.com. I also, being an nLite fanatic, have extensive experience with Windows files and folders, so that gives me another upper edge that allows me to pin point files and deem them obviously malicious moreso than the average joe will.

So as for your comment about being admin, I am no dumb admin, I simply wasn't the person at the computer during the initial attack.

kwpro is right. That is one of the biggest probs. But being that us end users have no way around it without causing ourselves immense inconveniences that is what we are stuck with and thus like Jeremy said we will have to learn to outsmart the bad people!

I am well aware that as administrator there is a greater risk, having said that, I need not be reminded. I don't know how to outsmart a hacker because I know nothing about hacking and don't have much desire to learn. What I am good at doing is fending off an infection immediately after it has happened, rather than only becoming aware of it once programs report odd errors, indicating massive infection throughout the PC.

lol on the subject of viruses ,im buying my 13 year old son a laptop for christmas and i will be getting a wireless router so he can share my internet ,god only knows how many viruses he is going to manage to get even with a router and virus scanner installed.

im actually dreading it :realmad:

Well, you can help prevent him from getting viruses by teaching him safe and proper internet usage.

The basics:

- No "shady" websites (warez, cracks, pr0n, free deals, etc)

- No Kazaa!!!!!

- Don't open unknown e-mail attachments

Other than that, NOD32 with BlackSpear's additional settings over at the Wilders Security Forums.

If you really want to prevent him from getting viruses, give him Linux... :P

lol on the subject of viruses ,im buying my 13 year old son a laptop for christmas and i will be getting a wireless router so he can share my internet ,god only knows how many viruses he is going to manage to get even with a router and virus scanner installed.

im actually dreading it :realmad:

Install my Anti-Malware Pro package on his machine.