What should I do?

5h4rk

Hi, I´ve just formatted my PC, again, the last time was 3 weeks ago, :no:

At this moment, I have a clean Windows Xp Pro SP2 isntalled from a XP with SP2 included's CD, and I updated it with "AutoPatcher XP October 2005", and some tweaked Regs, hardwares's drivers and some softwares. Until now, everything is working OK.

And before that I have to format again, I wanna do a backup of eveything that I did, specially the reg and the drivers.

I tried Norton Ghost 9 but it didn't work, because I couldn't start windows and mount the image that I had created... :}

So, I think this time, what I need is a booteable CD or DVD, maybe create an unattended one...

But there is some easier way to backup my current modified windows?

What would you suggest to me?

Thanks and sorry for my EN.

Edited by 5h4rk

I believe the Ghost 9 that you mentioned...that is Norton's Ghost? I am not familiar with the product but i have heard that it does work real good.

But it didn't work for me and it's not booteable...

Are you using an original vesion of ghost? Or is it cracked? Also did you follow all the directions as required to get a working image? Also please be specific about any error messages and so forth that you may have seen when going through the process of making an image.

Are you using an original vesion of ghost? Or is it cracked? Also did you follow all the directions as required to get a working image? Also please be specific about any error messages and so forth that you may have seen when going through the process of making an image.

I used a craked version of Ghost, but the image was created correctly. You didn't understand me, I couln'it start Windows, so I couldn't mount the image, because the image (created by Ghost) is NOT booteable and I need mount it into the Windows.

I would like try another way to backup my current windows...

I don't use the same version of Ghost, but I have found that if I start the wizard (from within windows), and choose DVD/CD rom as the destination, it will create a "bootable" image to DVD for me of my HD. In other words, once the DVD(s) are written, I can boot to the first one and load my image.

I've been using Ghost 2003 for several years....well, since 2003 :lol:

(I used earlier versions before that, clear back to the version written by the program's originator, "Ghostsoft, Inc." In the mid 90's)

The install program created a boot floppy for me, which I've modified considerably, but still use.

Since I left my HD in FAT-32 mode, when I installed Windows XP-Pro over my Windows 98/SE install, I can run a cleanup batch file from my Ghost boot floppy, to clean up all the c..r..a..p on my HD before running the Ghost program. I even delete my 789meg Pagefile and all my System Restore points, as well as all temp files, etc. I gain about a gigabyte of free space by doing the cleanup. Just that much less to cram into a backup image file. (God, I love it when a plan comes together) :thumbup

I can boot up my system with the Ghost boot floppy, select "make an image from a partition" and save the image file (compressed or not compressed) to my D: partition, a second HD or to a DVD disk in my DVD burner. Ghost handles it all beautifully.

It even offers to use the boot floppy as the boot sector on the DVD making it bootable so you can again run the Ghost program right from the DVD, to do Image Restores.

I think it's just a fabulous system. I make my own backup image files several times a week.

With my two SATA/Raid drives, it only takes me three minutes to make a Ghost image and store it on my D: partition. I can always copy it to a DVD, and make it bootable, later when I have more time.

It's the first thing I would do after setting up a new PC or re-setting a PC after a re-format. Then do it at least once a week for 'Disaster Recovery'.

I just saw Ghost 2003 advertised for sale on the internet for $7.95, from a Legal Software Vender.

Many users have complained loudly about Ghost 9 NOT being what they expected. I tried it myself and promptly deleted it. Like so many programs purchased by Symantec, they screwed it up!

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

I made a guide for exactly that problem using Acronis True Image. I'm sure that you should be able to follow the instructions with Ghost as well, but the general idea is the same.

How to create a CD/DVD based image of your hard drive with Acronis True Image

As for the file size splitting - I'm not sure how Ghost stores its archive file headers. In Acronis, they're in the very last spanned archive. (That's why you take the last image archive and put it on the "first" CD/DVD).

If you end up with two 4GB files and a 300MB file, you can probably put the small one along with another image file. The 4GB is there because of the file size limitations of DVDs.

EDIT - Oh... and use RyanVM packs in the future instead of AutoPatcher. It's much simpler. :)

Edited by Zxian