Customize your boot screen!

Aaron

Guest LouCypher

I thought I'd add this tip:

1) Go to C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32

2) Copy NTOSKRNL.EXE, rename the copy to something else, like NTCUSTOM.EXE (make SURE the copy is in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32)

3) Right click My Computer -> Properties

4) Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings

5) "To edit the startup options file manually, click Edit." -> Edit (hit the Edit button)

6) Your BOOT.INI file will load up, looking something like this:

[boot loader]

timeout = 30

default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

7) Copy the line under [operating systems], and add /KERNEL=NTCUSTOM.EXE to the end, so it looks like this now:

[boot loader]

timeout = 30

default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional - custom logo" /fastdetect /kernel=NTCUSTOM.EXE

8) File -> Save, File -> Exit

9) Reboot, you'll now have the a menu with two choices, one of which will load your customized kernel instead of the NTOSKRNL.EXE

10) Edit the NTCUSTOM.EXE file as the instructions say in the link above for editing NTOSKRNL.EXE, but you don't have to worry about Windows File Protection getting in the way, and you'll always have an easy way of booting up from a known good kernel. Swap the two lines under [operating systems] if you want to change the default selection (it will boot from the one on the first line under [operating systems].

Guest LouCypher

XPLOGONUI is for the Welcome screen stuff, AaronXP's link is for changing the boot logo that pops up when XP first starts to load.

Good program, yeah, but not related to this.

My post is just a way to avoid having to boot from a DOS disk or boot into Safe Mode like the link's instructions say.

It's from a thread on LittleWhiteDog Forums here:

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/forum/topic....6&TOPIC_ID=1113

It's a trick used since Windows 2000 for changing the startup logo.

Guest LouCypher

I dunno if you could use the file under Win2k but you could probably rip graphics from the XP NTOSKRNL.EXE file.

The Win2k NTOSKRNL is SO MUCH EASIER than the XP version for changing the boot logo. A great link is this page:

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00021.asp

As far as using the graphics, the palette is different for the Win2k, it's builtin to the resource. If you pull the graphic out of an XP NTOSKRNL it is probably going to be using the phuct up palette for all bitmaps but 5.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...