Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Customize your boot screen!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
http://www.thetechgu...wto/xpbootlogo/

This is pretty new, if we get started on it now, we could be the leading source of boot logos for the Internet.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Guest_LouCypher_*

Guest_LouCypher_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
I thought I'd add this tip:

1) Go to C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32
2) Copy NTOSKRNL.EXE, rename the copy to something else, like NTCUSTOM.EXE (make SURE the copy is in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32)
3) Right click My Computer -> Properties
4) Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings
5) "To edit the startup options file manually, click Edit." -> Edit (hit the Edit button)
6) Your BOOT.INI file will load up, looking something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

7) Copy the line under [operating systems], and add /KERNEL=NTCUSTOM.EXE to the end, so it looks like this now:

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional - custom logo" /fastdetect /kernel=NTCUSTOM.EXE

8) File -> Save, File -> Exit
9) Reboot, you'll now have the a menu with two choices, one of which will load your customized kernel instead of the NTOSKRNL.EXE
10) Edit the NTCUSTOM.EXE file as the instructions say in the link above for editing NTOSKRNL.EXE, but you don't have to worry about Windows File Protection getting in the way, and you'll always have an easy way of booting up from a known good kernel. Swap the two lines under [operating systems] if you want to change the default selection (it will boot from the one on the first line under [operating systems].

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,175 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
http://xplogonui.stormpages.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Become an MSFN Sponsor Now! Keep Up MSFN Running

Read MSFN Forum Rules
Not a member? Donate here!

Guest_LouCypher_*

Guest_LouCypher_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

http://xplogonui.stormpages.com/

XPLOGONUI is for the Welcome screen stuff, AaronXP's link is for changing the boot logo that pops up when XP first starts to load.

Good program, yeah, but not related to this.

My post is just a way to avoid having to boot from a DOS disk or boot into Safe Mode like the link's instructions say.

It's from a thread on LittleWhiteDog Forums here:

http://www.littlewhi...6&TOPIC_ID=1113

It's a trick used since Windows 2000 for changing the startup logo.

Guest_LouCypher_*

Guest_LouCypher_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
I did a [TOOL] boot logo here.

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
This hasn't been asked before, but can XP's hacked NTOSKRNL.EXE files be used on win2k? I want to use the customized XP Boot screens (from http://www.lakerscenter.com ) on win2k if possible.

Guest_LouCypher_*

Guest_LouCypher_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
I dunno if you could use the file under Win2k but you could probably rip graphics from the XP NTOSKRNL.EXE file.

The Win2k NTOSKRNL is SO MUCH EASIER than the XP version for changing the boot logo. A great link is this page:

http://www.littlewhi...other_00021.asp

As far as using the graphics, the palette is different for the Win2k, it's builtin to the resource. If you pull the graphic out of an XP NTOSKRNL it is probably going to be using the phuct up palette for all bitmaps but 5.

piaqt

piaqt

MSFN DIVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Joined 07-October 01
One for blackwar:
TSS2000
bootscreens, page 4 (as of 8/11)
Spiderman Vs. Carnage & Venom
Submitted by:
Chrono
Date:
Aug 11, 2002
Category:
Movie
--love, piaqt
Live from New York...

Blackwar

Blackwar

Your Worst Nightmare

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Joined 21-January 02
thanks Pia, downloading now :)

Blackwar

piaqt

piaqt

MSFN DIVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Joined 07-October 01
Posted Image
--love, piaqt
Live from New York...

lord voldmort

lord voldmort

The Dark Lord

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
Thanks!

Just a little question; how should I change the boot logo screen file in the Windows XP CD that when I install XP it has the modified screen?

b0r3d

b0r3d

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03
I've written a guide on how to do this. You can get to it by clicking me!
Remember, you can wear your underpants four times without washing.
Forwards. Backwards. Inside out forwards, and inside out backwards.

lord voldmort

lord voldmort

The Dark Lord

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
Thank you !
That was a great giud !

:) :rolleyes:

:D

b0r3d

b0r3d

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03
No problammo! Glad you like it :)
Remember, you can wear your underpants four times without washing.
Forwards. Backwards. Inside out forwards, and inside out backwards.

logic2004

logic2004
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-August 04
hey i tried this but the picture i want to make the boot bitmap looks hideous with the pallet is there another format that i can make it to make this work? Besides that this works great.

`Felix`

`Felix`

MSFN Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04
Hi ppl,

This may be stupid question and i applogise in advance if it is - but here goes.

I have created and also downloaded some new boot ntkernals and have added them to the system i am using using the boot.ini method. On the system i am using it works perfectly, however on a custom image i am working on it is breaking the system.

Now i know it is the new kernal as if i change it back to the default it works fine, but as soon as i add the /kernal=mykrnl.exe it breaks. :)

Advise, suggestions?

Felix
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine.

Want to setup your default user/all users unattended install easy? - Simplify iT - GuidesCheers,
FeLiX

wyattXP

wyattXP

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 30-April 04
make sure the image is at 4 bit and it should be fine, i have had that problem whne trying to save with too much color depth

`Felix`

`Felix`

MSFN Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04
hey Pplz,

Well i have checked my new oemkrnl.exe and it works fine on my current system, however when i add it to another system the system hangs :) - any ideas?

Felix
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine.

Want to setup your default user/all users unattended install easy? - Simplify iT - GuidesCheers,
FeLiX

ChiDragon

ChiDragon

• 46 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04
It needs to be the same version number as the OS you're using (and some hotfixes change the version number of ntoskrnl apparently).

subhramani

subhramani

Subhramani

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04
I want to make another pic BLACK fo the boot logo. Can I do it using the same palette for PS and Paint Shop Pro which is used to see the boot logo????

I am able to use the palette & see the boot image. Now how do I save the image again with the black colour thing covering it so that I can save it using Res Hacker???
Pls reply.
Regards,
Subhramani
Headbangers India

SSVegeta184

SSVegeta184

• 17 posts
  • Joined 15-November 04
hey all,

this is my first time on this forum so please help me out. I too want to customize my boot screen but just make it show my version of windows xp (professional). The thing is whenever i turn on my comp, it just shows Windows XP as a startup and does not say home or professional anymore (version info). The reason to this is because of SP 2, which i have. Does anyone know a way i can customize my boot screen logo so that it will also say "Professional" in the bottom? I appreciate your help. THANKS! :D

Vegeta

sunny_jain317

sunny_jain317
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 29-March 05
I have tried the method mention above but my system will get restarted each time when i try 2 boot through that custom kernel. plz provide suggestion. also tell me way how can i change boot screen . i have downloaded boot editor. but it is not running. any metod of doing all tis provide me.

chollus

chollus
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 08-March 05
The easiest way to change the boot logo is to add /bootlogo /noguiboot to your boot.ini file so that it looks like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /bootlogo /noguiboot
Then, save your boot image as 4bit (16-color - any 16 colors) .bmp file, name it Boot.bmp and copy it into your windows folder.

I found this on Sysintrernals site, tried it and it works!

Nilfred

Nilfred

• PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 18-September 04
Nice!
Could I have a progress animation, like the original logo, using the method from the post above?
Nilfred :-)

maniaq

maniaq

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 28-November 04
can anyone tell where should I put bootlogo.cmd file :blushing:

it sais:
[GuiRunOnce]
bootlogo.cmd

0 user(s) are reading this topic