Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Customize your boot screen!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

NERVWedge

NERVWedge
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-August 05
I am confused. :) I was using this http://unattended.ms.../bootscreen.htm To try to integrate a custom boot screen into my XPCD. I think I'm getting confused on the single and multi kernel things though. My question is, if I use a program out there that makes a NewBootscrn.exe file (which I am thinking is the ntoskrnl.exe file with my custom boot screen in it), and then I rename it ntoskrnl.exe and compress it and slap it back into my windows source it should just work right? I shouldn't have to edit the registry should I? I did that, but for some reason I keep getting the regular xp bootscreen.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Wolf_Demon

Wolf_Demon

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 16-June 05
man, i tried doing the Win2k one...i can't get it to work at all. the image is mad distorted every time when windows is booting. (and i know i did everything right)

xtremexxx

xtremexxx

MSFN Addict

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 04-July 04
I for one can't see the new boot I set, it's oemkrnl.exe placed in the system32 folder, and the boologo.cmd inside cmdlines.txt to apply it. But it's not working :( Old boot there.
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now, quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers..."
- Homer Simpson

slimzky

slimzky

Self-Taught Geek

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined 09-February 05
I for one can't see the new boot I set, it's oemkrnl.exe placed in the system32 folder, and the boologo.cmd inside cmdlines.txt to apply it. But it's not working Old boot there.

be sure u have tested ur custom OEMKRNL.exe b4 trying it in virtual mahine.... once confirmed working put it ur system32 folder (in ur XPCD)... then create a cmd file and put this lines.... & rename it to BOOTLOGO.cmd

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1
bootcfg /Timeout 0

put BootLogo.cmd under ur $OEM$ folder... & call it in ur CMDLINES.txt like this..

[COMMANDS]
"BootLogo.cmd"

this is much easier than the one on the Guide provided here
http://unattended.ms.../bootscreen.htm

Edited by slimzky, 30 August 2005 - 12:46 PM.

Posted Image

xtremexxx

xtremexxx

MSFN Addict

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 04-July 04
I did all that, but for testing what do you recommend I try ?
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now, quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers..."
- Homer Simpson

slimzky

slimzky

Self-Taught Geek

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined 09-February 05

I did all that, but for testing what do you recommend I try ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

test it in ur own system using boot editor... it will add a new line in ur Boot.ini for testing so u dont have to worry messing up... & if u want cud u send to me ur compressed custom boot file? il try to check in my PC :yes:
Posted Image

xtremexxx

xtremexxx

MSFN Addict

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 04-July 04
found out a better way. LongonUI app. it even changes old bootlogo to work on sp2 and has nice preview
- Homer Simpson

slimzky

slimzky

Self-Taught Geek

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined 09-February 05

found out a better way. LongonUI app. it even changes old bootlogo to work on sp2 and has nice preview

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i am happy to hear that :)
Posted Image

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
How would someone go about to edit the writting on the bootscreen?
Posted Image

seabird

seabird

• 44 posts
  • Joined 31-January 05

How would someone go about to edit the writting on the bootscreen?

There is no actual writing on this screen. All the text depicted are graphics. Just create your text in your favourite graphic editor program.

mastroale

mastroale
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 12-December 04
Sorry people, it's possible to change the position of the scrolling bar like in this preview?

Posted Image
Thanks in advance

Jubei

Jubei
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 21-December 05

Sorry people, it's possible to change the position of the scrolling bar like in this preview?

Posted Image
Thanks in advance

If your using booteditor to modify your bootscreen you can move the progress bar up or down, but not sideways.

lostwood

lostwood
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 16-December 05
Everytime I try to use a picture it turns it all grainy, what am i doing wrong. the examples are all clear and mine to to pupu...lol

rsrus

rsrus
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 11-April 06
erm newbie :blushing:

ok so i dont have a # 10bmp any ideas

Attached Files

Jiwek

Jiwek
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 06-May 06
To change the palette you need to use either Boot Editor, or you can change it manually by entering your custom palette into the hexadecimal code (tutorial here).

To change the location of the progress bar, visit my tutorial.

Good luck.

Edited by Jiwek, 06 May 2006 - 11:36 AM.

HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Just plain nuts

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05
Does anyone know how you'd go about moving the progress bar in a hex editor? Also, I don't suppose there's been any progress hacking it to use 256- or 16-bit colour? 256 at least seems like it'd only be a matter of repointing the palette table and hacking the image-reading code a bit, but I don't know enough x86 ASM to try it (and hacking assembly in the Windows kernel seems a bit risky).

[edit] Found a thread on moving the bar up and down, but not left and right.

Edited by HyperHacker, 06 August 2006 - 04:30 PM.

[insert something funny here]

HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Just plain nuts

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05
What the heck, I replaced bitmap #1 but I still see the old bootscreen. :blink: #9-12 don't exist (I have 1-8 and 13-15), and no others are big enough to be it; #5 is a Windows logo and the words "Microsoft Windows", but not the rest of the image which is still present somehow.

[edit] After replacing #5 the entire boot screen is black except for the progress bar. >_<

Edited by HyperHacker, 08 September 2006 - 05:17 PM.

[insert something funny here]

calegendre

calegendre
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16-January 06
Well, has anyone cracked it yet? Has anyone been able to totally change it all around to allow more than a 16 color image?

My being lazy, does anyone have a working way to easily do this to Win98SE without damaging anything?
-Clegendre

monoxide

monoxide

• 23 posts
  • Joined 02-August 06
i made my boot screen but when i go to use it i select it from my list and it just restarts me pc. any idea on why it does this

rehbar

rehbar

End_user2000

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 01-March 06
Use resorce hacker to changin boot screenof any os like 2k xp , 2003....

Note: ... copy ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe orignal files form xp cd. They will be in ex_ form so rename them to .ex_ to .cab and then extract them and then open in resorce hacker.
Use your 16 coulors bmp pitcure to replace xp logo. The first black screen will boot screen so you have to replace it. Then save it and
by makecab command make theire cabnets one by one and rename them .cab to .ex_ .
Copy theses filese into i386 folder of xp. and use nlite and disable windows file protection. Then instal xp it will use your custom boot screen.
Try and pm me if work

machkris

machkris

Junior

• Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 27-August 06
Can someone HELP me?

I am trying to make my Boot Screen look like the one , but when Windows is booting up it is showing up as these with distorted colors. Which file I need to edit in the Windows XP Pro CD and what do I need to do to correct this problem?

CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper

Code Mole

• Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06
Is anyone aware of how to do this without Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop? TheTechGuide offers downloads for PS/PSP palettes, but I only have access to the GIMP and Macromedia Fireworks right now.
Siggy boogy doog.

Dr.GoodSpeed

Dr.GoodSpeed
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 21-August 07
really thanks, iam new in the area of unattending windows, thanks again
this really helps :)

efrain

efrain

Beta Tester?

• Pip
  • 81 posts