how to start setup on network share

ddbng

I deployed 2 HFSLIP installs, 1 2K & 2 XP, with apparent success according to MBSA scans on both machines

but I had 2 problems, the 1st being there was no setup with the root files in SOURCE(instructions say to copy 3 for XP: WIN51, WIN51IP, & Win51ip.sp2; & 2K: CDROM_IP.5, CDROM_NT.5, and cdromsp4.tst;

I assumed that in order to ensure that the slipstreamed files in OURCESS were used instead of the slipstreamed files in SOURCE I needed to run setup from the SOURCESS directory so I put my root files & ran setup from SOURCESS After adding setup.exe from the WindowsCD root, The 1st errors I receive are that SP2.cab is missing & in fact it was not present in SOURCESS, so I copied it from SOURCE's i386, the one with the original slipstreamed files(SP4 for 2K & SP2 for XP)

Thx for reading this any guidance greatly appreciated-----how does one deploy an HFSLIP package? :wacko:

HFSLIP is meant to be installed from a CD, just as stated in the ZIP file you downloaded. However, some guys tweaked their source to install from a network. I'll leave that one to the network guru's for your solution. I only tinker so I can't answer.

Thx for reply & for the great work u're doing! Yes I see what u mean after re-reading the "HFSLIP Instruct's.rtf: It is only for use by those who install from a CD!" I guess what I don't understand is what exactly is a "Distribution Share," clearly stated as one of the options on the page for XP as well as 2K: "This process details how to create a CDROM or distribution share." Also,forgot to mention that, per the directions in "ERROR_REPORT.TXT," I did want to include "hfnetchk log" but found "MBSA' instead--it's all pretty new to me, very interesting, & very useful for deploying an OS----I'm still working on it, & hope to post soething more intelligent & perhaps helpful to thers---thx again & keep up the great work! :hello:

Oops, that Distribution Share stuff was left over from ages ago. I will remove it; sorry about that. Slipstreaming DirectX 9c kinda throws the DOS installation stuff off.

edit: but that's 2000. as for xp, now that i am thinking about it, why wouldn't an install from a shared resource work? Hmm <scratches chin>. uhh... calling all RIS guys? i bet if you simply copy xp's or 2003's i386 folder to a local drive like D:\ and ran winnt.exe from there it would probably work. across a network, i don't know. never tried xp or 2003 that way.

Edited by fdv

Thx for response, I can say that apparently my network install went quite well as MBSA reports all of the HFS folders contents present on the new installs--pretty sure I didn't slip DirectX 9 in the 2000 pkg, guess I'm lucky---u guys are doin some great stuff, VERY interesting & seems to work like a charm-- :rolleyes:

I'm studying the IE or not thing, but really like Mozilla, open source. even linux, wish my BartPE diskpart would work though, hope it does on my next CD, I need to get the plug-ins together 1st----cheers & have a great one!