Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Zxian's guide to Desktop Enchancements!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04

Ever wondered how to get your desktop looking like this?

Posted Image Posted Image

It's fairly simple actually. It just takes the right software and a bit of time. Some of the software that members here often use are listed in this guide.

XPize - XPize Link
XPize is a program that will replace the original images and icons in XP with nicer looking ones. There are a couple of extra features bundled with it as well (TaskSwitchXP, new screensaver) that make it even more appealing. Best of all, it's made by XPero here at MSFN!

AveDesk & SysStats - AveDesk Link - SysStats Link
This is one of my personal favorites. It's a program that creates "desklets" on your desktop. These desklets can have any functionality, ranging from a simple shortcut, to displaying the weather forecast, to RSS feeds.

Samurize - Samurize Link
Samurize is another desktop enhancement program that makes it very easy to display your system information on the desktop (see right image above). There are many many premade configurations available at the Samurize website and elsewhere on the internet, so you can simply download the configuration file and run it.

Konfabulator - Konfabulator Link
I haven't played much with Konfabulator, but it offers a similar feature set to AveDesk. The advantage to Konfabulator is that there are hundreds upon hundreds of pre-made widgets available to download. The popularity of Konfabulator has increased recently since it used to be a paid-for software and is now freeware.

Docks
I'm going to make this section general, since there are several options to choose from.
ObjectDock
RK Launcher
Yz Dock
RocketDock
Docks are meant to emulate the OSX dock. They provide a neat place to store your shortcuts, as well as possibly displaying system information (with SysStats for example). Each has their benefits, and as for which is the best - that's up to you.

Longhorn Sidebar - Sidebar Link
Some people have managed to make the Sidebar from Windows Vista run on Windows XP. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a direct link (for legal reasons), but Google should be able to point you in the right direction.

WindowBlinds - WindowBlinds Link
WindowBlinds is a skinning engine for Windows. It runs on Windows 98, Me, 2000, and XP, allowing you to have the same look on your Windows 2000 computer as your Windows XP computer. There are some features that WindowBlinds provides over the standard Windows skinning engine (animated caption buttons, extra sounds, etc), but it does use a bit more resources than the default skinning engine. It's lots of fun, but I'd only recommend this if you have a more powerful computer (i.e. less than 3 years old). If you want to find lots of good skins for WindowBlinds, check out WinCustomize

UXTheme.dll Hack - UXTheme Patcher Link
This patcher will patch the uxtheme.dll file (the file responsible for your Windows theming engine) to allow you to use non-Microsoft signed themes. The best part of this is that it doesn't use any extra resources unlike StyleXP, and it's completely free! The patcher works on Windows XP, Windows 2003, and has partial support for Windows XP x64.

CursorXP - CursorXP Link
CursorXP is a program that will skin your mouse cursor and provide a little bit of a flashy appearance. A screenshot doesn't really do it justice, since most of the cool parts are in the animations.

IconPackager - IconPackager Link
IconPackager is a program that allows you to easily change the default icons on your system. You can find pre-made icon packages at WinCustomize, or build your own from icons that you find on your system or on the internet.

LClock - LClock Link
LClock is a very simple program that makes the Windows' clock look like a Windows Longhorn Clock. LClock also comes with a simple but configurable popup calendar that opens when the systray clock is clicked.

Y'z Shadow - Y'z Shadow Link
Add a shadow to all your windows and menus!!! You can also make your menus transparent. Simple, lightweight, and easy to configure.

Y'z Toolbar - Y'z Toolbar
Customise your toolbar exactly to your liking! Hundreds of themes are available to download, and make your Windows look that much nicer! For more toolbar skins, check out DeviantArt.

DeviantArt - DeviantArt Link
This site is pure gold. If you want to find wallpapers, icons, themes - just about anything - this is the place to look. 'Nuff said. ;)

That's about it for the "mild" customizations. By mild I mean that the above programs won't change the functionality of your system. You can go one step further and use alternate shells to take your desktop to a completely different level. Some of the favorites include:
- LiteStep
- Aston Shell
- Talisman
- GeoShell
- BB4Win - (BlackBox for Windows)

Don't use these unless you know what you're doing. My personal favorite is BB4Win, but that's just because I use BlackBox in Linux. :P

If anyone has any suggestions or additions, let me know and I'll add them to the guide.

Final notes
- @DarkWader, I used your desktop as an example. I hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll remove the image.
- If there are any concerns about the legality of some of the material here, I am more than willing to discuss the matter, or remove links/content as necessary.
- @Mods/Admins - Sorry about the source of the UXTheme patcher. It's the best one I've found on the net, so I figured that I'd share it.
- Don't complain to me if this becomes an obsessive hobby like it has for some of us (*poke* 'Dagonet *poke*)

EDITS
1) 2005-11-20 - *slaps self for initially forgetting XPize*
2) 2005-11-24 - Added LClock, Y'z Shadow, and Y'z Toolbar

Edited by Zxian, 20 May 2007 - 01:24 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dagonet'

Dagonet'

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Joined 07-October 04

- Don't complain to me if this becomes an obsessive hobby like it has for some of us (*poke* 'Dagonet *poke*)

EDITS
1) 2005-11-20 - *slaps self for initially forgetting XPize*

Guilty... :whistle:

Edited by Dagonet', 23 November 2005 - 05:15 AM.

Aaron_

Aaron_

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05
Begginers will thank this post.

Nicely done Zxian! :yes:

SiMoNsAyS

SiMoNsAyS

C'mon you apes! You wanna live forever!?

• Patrons
  • 3,455 posts
  • Joined 17-May 04
wonderful post, this kind of work is strongly appreciated :)

[Pinned.]

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
Shweet.... :D

Thanks SiMoNsAyS.

EchoNoise

EchoNoise

Defender of the Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Joined 10-April 05
Thats pretty neat... Thanks man :)
Posted Image

tap52384

tap52384

nLite Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 11-August 04
Could there be program suggestions for making the taskbar transparent like the example shown?

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
Making the taskbar transparent can be done by either using WindowBlinds5 Beta (or final when it comes out), or by adding the section of your background that would normally sit behind the taskbar as a "mask" to the source files of the theme. The latter takes a bit of know-how, and should probably be described elsewhere by someone who's actually done it (DarkWader perhaps..?).

There are some other third party apps that will make the titlebar transparent as well. WindowFX from StarDock is an example of this. Google should help you find some of them. ;)

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04
You forgot LClock and yZShadow. It's a good guide, great job ;)

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
Added LClock, Y'z Shadow, and Y'z Toolbar. Thanks Martijn. :)

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04
You're welcome, I'll see if I can find more programs ;)
Edit: you could add FireFox and Opera as skinnable/themeable browsers
Edit2: you forgot to mention StyleXP
Edit3: I was looking in the GUI section of my sites files and I found BootSkin
Edit4: PodXP
I also found another big list of resources: here and here
Edit 5:
Found this in the Windows Tweaks forums in the thread "Tweak Sites":

Customization Programs (FreeWare)
=============================================
Transparent
01. Trans2k2: http://www.545studios.com/?p=apps&id=8 recommended
02. Glass2k: http://www.chime.tv/gui.shtml
03. PowerMenu: http://www.veridicus...ming/powermenu/

Computer Statistics/Information
01. StatBar: http://www.statbar.nl/ recommended
02. CoolMon: http://daisyman.arsw.../download.shtml
03. CureInfo: http://www.hbg.lth.se/~pv98glu/
04. InfoTop: http://opus80.com/discnode/
05. WinPulse: http://www.aka.com.ua/home.htm
06. Samurize: http://www.samurize.com/

Taskbar Enhacements
01. hiddenMenu: http://home.i-cable....inwai/index.htm recommended
02. ShortPopUP: http://www.digitalli...opUp/index.html
03. BarLaunch and/or T-Launch: http://www.hi-ho.ne..../enu/#barlaunch
04. [(Shareware) but truly an excellent program] TrueLaunchBar: http://www.truelaunchbar.com
05. ObjectDock: http://www.stardock....ucts/objectdock

Edited by Martijn, 25 November 2005 - 02:20 PM.

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
Thanks again.

I'll have a look at some of the programs and update the guide over the weekend (hopefully).

I don't think I'll add StyleXP though, since it's essentially a pretty front-end for the uxtheme.dll patch and what Windows is already capable of. Not to mention that I've just had bad experiences with that program.

Oh... and several of those links are dead. Google will help though. :P

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04
Well, I got them from a list, so I didn't really check them all...
I guess you're right about the StyleXP btw ;)

gunsmokingman

gunsmokingman

MSFN Master

• Super Moderator
  • 2,421 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03
You forgot to mention that you can modify things like menus and dialogs by hacking
the Shell32.dll and explorer.exe files using things like resource hacker.
Shell32.dll Dialog 1003 the Run Box Dialog
What I change
1: Added a bitmap for the background
2: Added Icons over the top of the buttons.

1003 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 230, 126
STYLE DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_NOIDLEMSG | DS_CONTEXTHELP | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
EXSTYLE WS_EX_STATICEDGE
CAPTION " RUN WHAT APP OR ITEM?"
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
FONT 8, "MS SHELL DLG", 1, FALSE, 0
{
CONTROL 27, -1, STATIC, SS_ICON | SS_CENTERIMAGE | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 183, 104, 18, 18
CONTROL 28, -1, STATIC, SS_ICON | SS_CENTERIMAGE | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 23, 104, 18, 18
CONTROL 31, -1, STATIC, SS_ICON | SS_CENTERIMAGE | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 100, 104, 18, 18
CONTROL "", 12298, COMBOBOX, CBS_SIMPLE | CBS_DISABLENOSCROLL | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP, 7, 11, 214, 85
CONTROL 14350, -1, STATIC, SS_BITMAP | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_GROUP, 0, 0, 200, 118 , 0x00000100
CONTROL "Run in separate &memory space", 12306, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_DISABLED | WS_TABSTOP, 36, 51, 183, 0
CONTROL "OK", 1, BUTTON, BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_TABSTOP, 183, 103, 19, 19
CONTROL "NO", 2, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_TABSTOP, 23, 103, 19, 19
CONTROL "&SEEK", 12288, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_TABSTOP, 100, 103, 19, 19
}

Here is a link with a bunch of tutorials on how to change more things
WinT`s Modify Windows Shell Files
My Run Box
Posted Image

Edited by gunsmokingman, 27 August 2006 - 04:07 PM.

GunSmokingMan

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04
That's really cool, I've never seen a site like that! Thanks :)

harunaksoy

harunaksoy

LazXpert

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Joined 15-January 04
Finderbar (requires .net Framwork 1.1)

Larger
Posted Image

Edited by harunaksoy, 26 November 2005 - 03:42 PM.

matthewk

matthewk

• PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Joined 07-June 05
Thanks for this harunaksoy, you rock :)

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 19-May 04
heres my fav systray clock program

http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=157465
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
@gunsmokingman - I'll put that under the "hardcore" section of the guide. :P

@harunaksoy - Thanks for that. I'll test it out and add it to the list.

@MCT - It's already there... ;)

@DivLog - Go advertise somewhere else. Several of your other threads regarding the tray clock program have been closed.

unrealhippie

unrealhippie

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-January 05
Also nuonsoft Shellenhancer! www.nuonsoft.com

Edited by unrealhippie, 30 December 2005 - 04:01 PM.

harunaksoy

harunaksoy

LazXpert

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Joined 15-January 04

Thanks for this harunaksoy, you rock :)

hehe thanks :) here's the register file to show it as the default view, this ony works for XP SP2! so don't try it with another version, you might loose your tree view.

wolf7448

wolf7448

Windows Live Master

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 04-September 05
I love it!!! :w00t: GREAT JOB!! must have took u some time to put it all together!
Wolf Posted Image
Check Out My Website Here

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
Good work zxian! :thumbup :thumbup

It think you might wanna add Winroll. It just rolls up your window with a right click, its pretty nifty!

http://www.palma.com.au/winroll/

Edited by bms, 29 November 2005 - 07:13 PM.

"The important thing is to never stop questioning"-Albert Einstein

gunsmokingman

gunsmokingman

MSFN Master

• Super Moderator
  • 2,421 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03
Yes I am Hardcore :thumbup Thanks

@gunsmokingman - I'll put that under the "hardcore" section of the guide. :P

GunSmokingMan

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Joined 12-December 03
nice work Zxian its been awhile since i went customizing, thanks for a few of your pointers

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users