Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Zxian's guide to Desktop Enchancements!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
Maybe you could also include a link to Joejoe's site, it has good customisation resources.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

DarkWader

DarkWader
  • 8 posts

The latter takes a bit of know-how, and should probably be described elsewhere by someone who's actually done it (DarkWader perhaps..?).

Ah, I didnt see this post before now.
I would have made that "howto" earlier, but since WB5 is released now, and mostly everyone has it, I wont bother doing that..
Unless someone begs me to :P

Its quite simple actually.
Resize the wallpaper to the screen resolution, cut the bottom of the wallpaper so that it will fit the taskbar.
Use Paintshop and create a 2 layer image, by using the taskbar bitmap and add a new layer that's around 70% opacue, paste the wallpaper cut and merge these two layers.
Use a program called ResEdit to edit the msstyle, and change the taskbar bitmap to the one you made in paintshop.

:rolleyes:

SiMoNsAyS

SiMoNsAyS

C'mon you apes! You wanna live forever!?

• Patrons
  • 3,455 posts
some people will also like to take a look to √úberIcon :)

Edited by SiMoNsAyS, 15 December 2005 - 11:56 AM.

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
It's a nice program, but it got a bit annoying somehow after a while...

RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Konfabulator - Konfabulator Link
I haven't played much with Konfabulator, but it offers a similar feature set to AveDesk. The advantage to Konfabulator is that there are hundreds upon hundreds of pre-made widgets available to download. The popularity of Konfabulator has increased recently since it used to be a paid-for software and is now freeware.

Warning, this link possibly bad. It redirected me to a site owned by Yahoo.
Asus P5QL Pro, Core 2 Duo E4500, eVGA GeForce 9500 GT with XP Pro x64 Edition -> Works great with Asus P5QL Pro!

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
Isn't Konfabulator a Yahoo! product??

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
Yup... Konfabulator is now known as Yahoo Widget Engine (or something of that sort). I haven't had much time to look into it (or update the guide), since my laptop just died, and school's started again.

Wait for screenshots from a new 1680x1050 laptop screen though... ;)

SiMoNsAyS

SiMoNsAyS

C'mon you apes! You wanna live forever!?

• Patrons
  • 3,455 posts

Wait for screenshots from a new 1680x1050 laptop screen though... ;)

panoramic? ****!
which monitor? how much? (i'm interested on a new one :D)

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
It's gonna be the Dell Inspiron 6000 with the WSXGA+ screen and 9 cell battery. 5+ hours of beautiful goodness... ;)

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,680 posts

Donator

PC Mag says that the 6000 weighs in at 7lbs. How much beefier does it get when you go with the 9-cell battery?

I personally prefer thin/light laptops for portability but this one should definitely serve you well if the display is your main attraction. And that extra battery power will certainly come in handy :)

Lots more details at NotebookReview.

Congrats on your purchase!

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
I'd like to try to keep this thread as clean as possible, so only on topic discussions here please.

But to answer your question, I'm not sure how much more weight the 9-cell battery adds. For me, it's carried in my backpack and still weighs less than my average textbook, so I don't really mind all that much. For me, it's the full-sized keyboard, and the larger screen that does it for me. My dad's got one of the "ultra-portable" Sony laptops, and I have troubles typing on it.

MaelstromX

MaelstromX
  • 4 posts
Zxian would you mind listing exactly what you have goin on in the right (as in left/right) screenshot? Id be interested to know just what modifications you are running there (as in what themes, background image, widgets, iconpacks, etc).

thanks

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
In my desktop screenshot, I'm using the RoyalFour theme, AveDesk, and Smaurize. The background image is just something I found from Final Fantasy X. PM me if you want specifics.

I'm actually running Windows 2003 in that screenshot, since I get it free from my university, so you can see that most of this stuff works in Win2k3 as well as XP.

Elektrik

Elektrik

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
FlyakiteOSX v.3.5

PS http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=75614 :yes:

Edited by Elektrik, 04 June 2006 - 04:43 AM.

NOJ

NOJ
  • 8 posts
any one know where i can get the image of the gun toting girl from - i like very much!!!

cheers guys

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts

any one know where i can get the image of the gun toting girl from - i like very much!!!

cheers guys

Yuna wallpaper

Enjoy. :)

N1K

N1K

MCSA W2K, MCDST

• Patrons
  • 1,431 posts
You haven't posted Vista Sidebar from Ricktendo64 :(
It can be found HERE

NOJ

NOJ
  • 8 posts

cheers guys

Yuna wallpaper

Enjoy. :)

Thanx!!!

Jito463

Jito463

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

The latter takes a bit of know-how, and should probably be described elsewhere by someone who's actually done it (DarkWader perhaps..?).

I would have made that "howto" earlier, but since WB5 is released now, and mostly everyone has it, I wont bother doing that..

Resize the wallpaper to the screen resolution, cut the bottom of the wallpaper so that it will fit the taskbar.
Use Paintshop and create a 2 layer image, by using the taskbar bitmap and add a new layer that's around 70% opacue, paste the wallpaper cut and merge these two layers.
Use a program called ResEdit to edit the msstyle, and change the taskbar bitmap to the one you made in paintshop.

I realize this is an old post, but for others in the future I thought I'd post a simpler solution. At least if you own an Nvidia card. The NView option in the Nvidia drivers have supported changing the opacity of the Taskbar for some time now. From the classic Nvidia controls (might be possible from the new control panel, but I can't find it), go to Desktop Management and enable NView. Then scroll down to Effects and "Enable taskbar transparency" and set the desired level of opacity. Bingo. Though I have found when I play videos that the transparency turns off. And sometimes if a program is "using" the previously played video file, I have to close and reopen that file (whether it be a web browser, or some other program), before the transparency returns to normal.
Help us help YOU! <-- Click here

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
You should add deskview (or wintidy2 if you swing that way) to that list. People ALWAYS ask, "How do you get those small icons?!"

IceBlackIce> ill just take you are not a experienced person with coding [source]
^lol

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Do you know which bitmap(s) those would be for the Royale Noir theme? There's sooooo many and a lot of them look like potential candidates. I am considering doing this, or even changing the look of the task bar itself by changing those files. Not sure where to begin. By the way, how do people make themes? Like make their own .msstyles. I know I'll need the uxtheme patch if I make my own.
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

narayanaswamy

narayanaswamy

• 25 posts
Does anyone know how to edit the shell32.dll so that we can change the icons and appearances like changing the icons for all folders in system??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN