How to boot/install from USB key ?

Halfwalker

The idea of a log file is excellent.

Cannot say if it would cause slowness, in the procedure, but before a separate tee.exe, I would try to use the .bat/.cmd version, available on Rob van der Woude's site:

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/tee.html

integrating it in the main batch.

I did some experiments with tee.exe from http://www.robvanderwoude.com/tee.html

using:

usb_prep3.cmd | tee usbtee.log

The problem with tee from robvanderwoude is that good user interaction fails,

because Answers have to be given before the actual Question appears on screen.

The examples with PERL TEE.PL usbtee.log and REGINA TEE.REX usbtee.log did not work for me,

because PERL ( = renamed tee.exe ) was using TEE.PL as log file, instead of giving usbtee.log

The TEE.BAT Example gives the output on screen after the program has ended,

so that is not so usefull in this form.

Then I tried tee.exe in GnuWin32 Package CoreUtils from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

In this case all Questions appear on screen and the usbtee.log file is OK.

However for using the small program tee.exe ( = 24 KB ) there are

two additional large files required ( libintl3.dll = 100 KB and libiconv2.dll = 877 KB)

Maybe TEE.BAT can be integrated in usb_prep3.cmd

Some more experiments are required.

regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb

@Wimb

Yes, I know it would be a lot of work, but you don't actually need to log really everything, the tee.bat works only for "simple" commands, it needs to be integrated in the batch to work in this procedure.

Also, if you wish, feel free to integrate the "working part" of both binifix and MakeBS into the main batch.

jaclaz

NEW RELEASE is Available as usb_prep4.zip file in Attachment.

The Programm Flow is recorded in LogFile usb_prep.log , without file details

Giving the filecopy details in this logfile, results in losing them on screen, which is unwanted !!

For fedit -add the option -once was used to correct for

multiple entries in [sourceDisksFiles] section.

Thanks to jaclaz for finding this non-fatal error and some other improvements :thumbup

When all output on screen with all file details is desired in a logfile, the solution is:

Download GnuWin32 Package CoreUtils from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

Place tee.exe = 24 KB, libintl3.dll = 100 KB and libiconv2.dll = 877 KB in usb_prep4 folder

Use the following command to start usb_prep4

usb_prep4.cmd | tee usbtee.log

In this case the Dialogue and all File Details appear on screen and in the usbtee.log :D

Regards,

wimb

usb_prep4.zip

Edited by wimb

I have successfully accomplished this install using the guide.

This is a crosspost from

http://www.msfn.org/board/Install_XP_USB_t...tml#entry701945

As I am not sure whether everyone will get to read this on page 20+.. heh

A few notes,

Stock XP VLK install works seamlessly.

I first attempted using the Grub bootloader, works fine.

Now I am using the extracted bootsector, renamed to skip using GRUB and boot directly from NTLDR into the TXTMODE SETUP.

This process was posted by ilko_t here

http://www.msfn.org/board/boot_install_USB...376#entry671376

Also works fine.

Here's the next problem.

Trying to install a custom XP build. RVM/NLITE/YADAYADA

Addon most of the current hotfixes and extras such as WMP11 and IE7.

Important note about Nlite and RVM customized XPs for USB.

Make sure to use

winnt32 /makelocalsource:all /unattend:winnt.sif /noreboot

The /unattend:winnt.sif makes sure that the nlite version of the winnt.sif is used.

Yes, you still have to edit it and remove the [unattended] section.

I didn't at first and because it didn't give me the choice of which disk / partition to use,

it said my drive F: (usb disk) was corrupt and unfixable.

First problem - SOLVED

During TXTMODE it asks for the Windows XP SP2 Disc 2 -

This is fixed using /makelocalsource:all

The guide needs to reflect that.

While using this switch, there was a bunch of missing files (for Tablet PC and Media Center? versions.) I skipped those files.

Second problem - SOLVED - but needs some work.

Second problem, during textmode it asks for quite a few dlls and files that are MISSING from the /makelocalsource:all copy.

These files are present in my i386 (nlited and rvmi) source directory.

A few of them are , kbdhc.dll , kbdiultn.dll , kbdnepr.dll and more.

I solved this by copying all of the .dll files from my i386 (nlited and rvmi) source in to the $WIN_NT$.~LS directory on my USB stick. I did not overwrite files.

Then setup gets a bit further and starts to ask for some driver files. Specifically amdk6.sys and amdk7.sys

To fix this I extracted driver.cab and copied the entire thing into my $WIN_NT$.~LS directory as well. Once again I did not overwrite files.

At this point the installation is continuing.

Can someone tell me why these steps are necessary ? Did I do something wrong?

Also I have been following the whole process in all the various threads, I still don't understand what the binifix is for? Can someone explain?

The next step that I am unsure on how to progress is using the DriverPacks.

I just found the prepare_USB.zip which has something in there to assist, but I haven't had a chance to look at the command.

If someone has integrated the Driverpacks with the USB install could they chime in with their steps?

@effgee

All the issues you mentioned were taken care of in usb_prep.cmd and it's last versions, including BTS drivers packs, RVM, Nlite stuff, tablet/media files...

The guides are outdated, still could be used as a very basic start, but most improvements were done in USB_PREP.CMD, which you may want to have a look at to see all steps performed.

binifix.cmd is to set BOOT.INI on destination drive from rdisk(Z) to rdisk(Z-1), because Text mode setup sets it according to the current setup, USB drive is first (you booted from it), IDE hard disk gets second and so on. When you remove USB stick for regular usage, IDE disk becomes first ( rdisk(0) ), but in BOOT.INI you have rdisk(1), that's why binifix.cmd makes it Z-1.

Regards,

ilko

ilko_t

I am still having some problems with installing from usb.

During the txtmode setup process, it asks for some missing files.

kbdbhc.dll

and I'm sure it will also ask about missing driver files.

As in my previous post, these files are not copied when /makelocalsource or /makelocalsource:all is called.

But they do exist my i386 source directory.

My previous fix, to copy the *.dll from the source seems to work, but do you have any ideas what is going on?

I am using the usb_prep4 to setup the usb stick.

Edited by effgee

ilko_t

I am still having some problems with installing from usb.

During the txtmode setup process, it asks for some missing files.

kbdbhc.dll

and I'm sure it will also ask about missing driver files.

As in my previous post, these files are not copied when /makelocalsource or /makelocalsource:all is called.

But they do exist my i386 source directory.

My previous fix, to copy the *.dll from the source seems to work, but do you have any ideas what is going on?

Did you select 0 for "MCE / Tablet - NLite", was "currently"... showing this?

Script is supposed to copy all files from source\I386 to $WIN_NT$.~LS\I386, thus eliminating all possible issues with missing files/folders. This happens ONLY when for source type "MCE / Tablet - NLite" is selected in order not to copy unneeded files with not customized sources.

IF "%xp_type%" == "MCE / Tablet - NLite" (
ECHO.
ECHO Media Center/Tablet PC - NLite require extra xcopy of i386 folder to have all files in LocalSource !
ECHO.
pause
xcopy %xpsource%\i386\*.* %tmpdrive%\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ /i /k /e /y /h
echo >> usb_prep.log Extra xcopy of i386 folder necessary for MCE / Tablet - NLite Ready
)...........

I'm having a problem with this...

The TXT-mode install works great and so does the GUI. Problem is: When I try to boot after everything is done I'm missing hal.dll. :/

I'm guessing my boot.ini is messed up or something and that's why it can't find the file but I could be wrong. Downloading WinPE now to try and see if it is (Not using BartPE because it doesn't work, just decides to use 100% cpu and after waiting 10-15 minutes I got sick of waiting and killed the process).

Anyone have any other ideas? Would really appreciate some help.

I'm having a problem with this...

The TXT-mode install works great and so does the GUI. Problem is: When I try to boot after everything is done I'm missing hal.dll. :/

I'm guessing my boot.ini is messed up or something and that's why it can't find the file but I could be wrong. Downloading WinPE now to try and see if it is (Not using BartPE because it doesn't work, just decides to use 100% cpu and after waiting 10-15 minutes I got sick of waiting and killed the process).

Anyone have any other ideas? Would really appreciate some help.

Please read this post and the next few:

http://www.msfn.org/board/boot_install_USB...762#entry698762

I think you unplugged USB stick before first logon. Do not do that if you did. Stick MUST be left plugged until you COMPLETE your first logon, when 2 batch files are executed, fixing BOOT.INI and renaming back the 2 source folders+txtsetup.sif on stick.

If that's not the case please post your boot.ini on the destination hard drive. The problem is with it.

Another way- what's the name of 2 WINNT folders on stick after installation?

I have no idea what really happened but everything works now at least. First time when I tried to install after TXT and GUI was done, when I tried to boot (without removing the stick or anything) hal.dll was missing. When I tried to reinstall with that version it said winnt.sif didn't exist and it couldn't boot the installer.

Gave it another go with different sources and after that install was done, same thing there was no hal.dll and didn't remove stick. However my WIN.LS and BT folders disappeared... :o

Anyway, fixed it by getting WinPE on my USB-stick and changing my boot.ini-file.

After that everything worked out fine.

@flasklax

Can you post some details:

1. What motherboard/model/BIOS version

2. What storage devices you have (SATA/IDE disks, DVD/CD, card readers, printer with card reader...)

3. In case of SATA disks how are they set up in BIOS? In SATA/ACPI/IDE/RAID mode...Where are IDE devices connected if you have such?

4. How do you choose to boot from USB? By going in BIOS and changing boot order or pressing F8/F12/something_else at boot and choosing USB or....

5. What entries did you have in BOOT.INI on destination hard drive, before you edited it? If don't remember there must be a backup file of BOOT.INI in your destination root.

Thanks.

Edited by ilko_t

The program has been further improved, providing Simple and Extended Log Files

using TEE.BAT integrated for redirecting xcopy output towards usb_prep.log file and to Screen.

Thanks to jaclaz for the reference on how to make use of TEE.BAT

Update of Existing Bootable USB-stick having XP LocalSource Folders is possible now. :)

Also there is no need anymore to Format an Existing MultiBoot USB-stick having boot.ini Menu.

Total Commander Synchronize Dirs in Asymmetric mode is very usefull for Updating

the $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~BT Folders using a previously made (renamed) tempimage.img

which can be Mounted with the Mount_TempImage.cmd

Instead of the Copy of about 6000 files in 15 minutes to USB-stick,

one needs to copy may be only 150 files in the Asymmetric Synchronize Update. :thumbup

Thanks to jaclaz for the routine for parsing the VDK.exe output to determine the Drive Letter

of the TEMPDRIVE, needed when an existing tempimage.img was mounted. :)

An Extended Help File was made with Most Frequently Encountered User ERRORS,

and further Description of the use of usb_prep5.cmd Program

and the Use of Total Commander to Update Existing Bootable USB-stick having XP LocalSource Folders.

The Attachment gives the usb_prep5.zip File :)

Regards,

wimb

usb_prep5.zip

Edited by wimb