How to boot/install from USB key ?

Halfwalker

But really, if you think it would be useful to scour through all you peoples' old post from months prior, I might as well not ask for any help and save the time by answering my own questions.

EXCELLENT idea. :)

If, while doing the above, you could also avoid posting here offending people that have worked for months on this project would also be higly appreciated, and I guess ilko's poor innnocent pup would appreciate it too. ;)

jaclaz

:hello: I'm not commenting the tone Sancho used, but really, you can't expect people to go through all 24 pages of this thread. Not everybody got enough time nor will to "learn and learn and learn", some just want a solution to their problem. By the time few will have read this thread's first page, that alone contains 20 links, thousands will give credit to people like Nick, not for your (huge) work, research and achievements, but just for him putting it all in a few lines. Someone needs to summarize this thread, be it in the 1st post or by making a sticky. Please don't flame me, I think I'm just being realistic. :unsure:

I took great pleasure in reading every last page of this thread to be honest. I know it's nice to have a little summary but...don't be ungracious for the immense work these people have done. They have provided a solution to what you are looking for. If you are too lazy to even read....think! These people were in your position and had to *write* a solution!!

[for the record - I submitted a post on 'Nick's site...and it got deleted. What a tool...sometimes militant solutions really do seem attractive...]

Edited by wrayal

Hi guys... great work here!!!

I installed Windows XP Pro, both english and german version, several times on my ASUS Eee PC using usb_prep8.

Starting with a full source over with some nlite versions. I can confirm that you run only in problems, when you remove "Manual Install and Upgrade" under Operating System Options. Now my final nlite Version is only around 195MB and consumes around 650MB of space (excluded pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys) after installing to the 4GB SSD of the Eee PC.

As i'm from Germany, i wanna write a guide in German language, how to use usb_prep8. Many people are not so familiar with english language and the result of translation tools are often poor.

But i don't wanna make the mistake not to mention the creator of it or MSFN. Just wanna ask about your opinion before i start with it.

Once again... great work.

As i'm from Germany, i wanna write a guide in German language, how to use usb_prep8. Many people are not so familiar with english language and the result of translation tools are often poor.

But i don't wanna make the mistake not to mention the creator of it or MSFN. Just wanna ask about your opinion before i start with it.

Once again... great work.

@HKCU

Thanks for your interest in the program usb_prep8.cmd.

The USB_MultiBoot2.cmd is an improvement of usb_prep8.

SEE: Make MultiBoot USB-Drive for Install of Windows XP

You are welcome to write a guide in German language.

@all

It is easy to use the Program USB_MultiBoot2.cmd

Important Help Instructions are given when Running USB_MultiBoot2.cmd Program.

Read carefully the Help in the Intro for Making the MultiBoot USB-Drive

and at the Exit of the Program for Using the prepared USB-Drive.

These Instructions can also be read afterwards in the usb_prep.log File.

Further Info is given in the Help_USB_MultiBoot2.txt File located in the Help_Info Folder.

Besides there is an extensive Guide given at the CD Forum on how the MultiBoot USB-Drive is prepared.

All Important Links are given below ( visible in all my posts )

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb

:hello: I'm not commenting the tone Sancho used, but really, you can't expect people to go through all 24 pages of this thread. Not everybody got enough time nor will to "learn and learn and learn", some just want a solution to their problem. By the time few will have read this thread's first page, that alone contains 20 links, thousands will give credit to people like Nick, not for your (huge) work, research and achievements, but just for him putting it all in a few lines. Someone needs to summarize this thread, be it in the 1st post or by making a sticky. Please don't flame me, I think I'm just being realistic. :unsure:

On the contrary, I was commenting EXACTLY the tone he used and the extreme lack of any kind of gracefulness in the posts this guy made.

Noone is required to read the entire thread, everyone is kindly asked to act politely, and give the required info to:

1) make us be able to help him/her

2) possibly find and fix any flaw in the procedure (for everyone)

That's the whole idea of developing and beta testing something, interactive feedback until problem is solved.

I tried to somehow "code" this in "Common Sense Advice" given here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

but more generally the idea is that you shouldn't ever post on a board something that, if said in "real life", as an example at the pub, would probably get you a punch in the mouth. ;)

Now, is this way (posting on a single thread on a board) the ideal situation for developing an app and to support it? :blink:

Surely not, it would be much better if this thingy here had it's own Homepage, Online Help and dedicated Forum, but life is tough, you have to live with some shortcomings.

The good news is that, little by little and thanks to the efforts of wimb and the cooperation of several users, there is some help and usability and dependability has vastly increased.

Maybe it's time to ask some Admin/Mods of MSFN if they think this project be worth it's own sub-forum in "Member Contributed Projects", or in "Member Contributed Projects\Other Member Contributed Projects"; that would surely better the quality of the support. :thumbup

jaclaz