Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to boot/install from USB key ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
485 replies to this topic

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Microsft Deploy let's you install windows xp / vista / server 2008 from a flash drive.

-gosh

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

Anyone thinking of GUI ? :rolleyes:

May be Siginet can make a GUI for the usb_prep7.cmd Batch Program,
such that it will fit in the family of RyanVM Integrator and Windows XP PowerPacker.
http://www.siginetsoftware.com/forum/

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 14 November 2007 - 01:38 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

Microsft Deploy let's you install windows xp / vista / server 2008 from a flash drive.

-gosh

Is it in this case possible to use the flash drive repeatedly to make a hardware independent fresh install on different computers ? Or is it necessary to prepare the USB-stick each time for the next install ?

Can you give some more help on how to use this approach for Install of Windows XP from USB flash drive
and do you have a download link for the specific files that you use.
I would like to try the procedure that you propose.

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 14 November 2007 - 12:14 PM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
download microsoft deploy from the microsoft download center. I installed it and used it to do an unattended install of xp sp2 from a 1 gig flash drive. MS Deploy let's you add your own apps and hotfixes and custom settings. I only did a basic install to test functionality.

-gosh

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

-gosh

Thanks for that, please enlighten us some more :)

As far as I saw it, MS prepares WinPE with the setup source you provide. This WinPE could be booted from USB media, CD or whatever. Or did I miss something?
Unfortunately my fresh installation of Microsoft Deployment keeps freezing when building WinPE ISO, so I couldn't dig much.

@wimb I think you are going to need this:
Microsoft Deployment:
http://download.micr...Toolkit_x86.msi

It may download the necessary components for you, or get WAIK from here (992.2 MB :w00t: ), extract image and place WAIK MSI and WinPE.zip in the temporary folder, which will be created when you start download via Microsoft Deployment in \program files....

http://www.microsoft...5-LRMAIK_EN.img

Quoting file names by memory, installation is in my home PC, if you have troubles I can post exact names and paths.

Edited by ilko_t, 14 November 2007 - 01:07 PM.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

@wimb I think you are going to need this:
Microsoft Deployment:
http://download.micr...Toolkit_x86.msi
get WAIK from here (992.2 MB),
http://www.microsoft...5-LRMAIK_EN.img

@ilko_t
Thanks for the download link for Microsoft Deployment Toolkit :)

The Results of my first experience with Microsoft Deployment is given below:

You might also need to install additionally:
Microsoft Management Console 3.0 for Windows XP (KB907265) and .NET 2.0
The WAIK .img file was mounted as .iso using DaemonTools, and then Installed using STARTCD.EXE
Then Microsoft Deployment Toolkit was installed.
After Launching the Deployment Workbench, I followed the Information Center > Getting Started Info
After Update Deployment Point, the folder Media\Content was copied to USB-stick.
The USB-stick was previously formatted with PeToUSB and was given a BOOTMGR type Bootsector using:

Open CMD Window and use bootsect.exe to change the bootsector for use with bootmgr

bootsect.exe /nt60 R:
where R: is your USB-stick drive.

In this way I could boot from USB-stick with Windows PE 2.0
After Auto Partitioning and Format, the $ LocalSource folders are generated on Harddisk.
After Restart you have to boot from Harddisk, otherwise only PE is launched.
So instead of Rebooting Windows PE, I shutdown the computer and removed the stick.
Then start the computer without stick and Install of XP Runs as usual,
except for a STOP Alert for giving Administrator Password, which can easily be avoided.
At Windows Logon the stick was asked to be plugged in again to Finish Install.

Well it worked, but the result was UNWANTED and in a way unexpected.

The XP Install claimed the whole disk of my testcomputer for making a new partition.
This means the Partition Table was gone and my 2 Data partitons were inaccessible :angry:
Moreover the disc geometry was quite different from the usual one. :wacko:
The Drive C Bootsector is now sector 2048 (0x800) instead of normally 63 (0x3F) :ph34r:
In CHS terms sector 2048 corresponds to CHS 0 32 33, which is not a head boundary,
whereas sector 63 corresponds to CHS 0 1 1 and the MBR is at sector 0 = CHS 0 0 1
The result is that Partition Magic and Partition Info give a lot of Error Messages and are useless.

Luckily I had a backup of the original MBR with the correct Partition Table,
and the mirror MFT of the new partition was made well below the beginning of my original second partition.
Restoring the original MBR with TinyHexer and then booting with Ghost for System Restore was applied.
After again Rebooting I was able to access my 2 lost DATA partitions :)

This method of XP Install from USB-stick takes at least 10-20 minutes extra time
for booting with Windows PE and making the LocalSource folders on Harddisk.
It is worthwhile to mention that the USB-stick can be used repeatedly, there was no change.

Preparing the USB-stick is also taking much more time than with usb_prep7.cmd
Besides Windows PE (2x) takes a lot of extra space requiring about 300 MB.

So be very carefull and test USB-stick made with Microsoft Deployment
only on test computer without important DATA.

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 17 November 2007 - 03:12 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Anyone thinking of GUI ? :rolleyes:

Regards,
ilko

Hmm..., no, sorry. :(

However, I am very partial, not being at all a programmer, to the Wizard's Apprentice:
http://wizapp.sourceforge.net/
the exe is just 70 Kb in size and has all the needed features.

Since the original procedure has been written in batch (no .NET installation required ;) ) it would be very easy to "convert" it in a way that uses this little proggie's features, when compared to other viable solutions (like AutoIT).

wimb, are you reading this? ;)

Have a look at my VDK pseudo-GUI batch that uses it to have an idea of it's potentiality:
http://home.graffiti...ts/VDM/vdm.html

jaclaz

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

However, I am very partial, not being at all a programmer, to the Wizard's Apprentice:
http://wizapp.sourceforge.net/
the exe is just 70 Kb in size and has all the needed features.

Since the original procedure has been written in batch (no .NET installation required ;) ) it would be very easy to "convert" it in a way that uses this little proggie's features, when compared to other viable solutions (like AutoIT).

wimb, are you reading this? ;)

Have a look at my VDK pseudo-GUI batch that uses it to have an idea of it's potentiality:
http://home.graffiti...ts/VDM/vdm.html

@jaclaz
Interesting, I will have a look at it.
Thanks a lot. :)

Cheers,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 16 November 2007 - 07:33 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07
In usb_prep7.cmd we make the Boot folder $WIN_NT$.~BT by launching winnt32.exe /noreboot ....
When making MultiBoot DVD's with the very handy program Windows XP PowerPacker of Siginet,
I realised that Siginet is using a more sophisticated way to collect the files for the Boot folder.
See also: http://www.siginetso...forum/index.php

Siginet makes the Boot folder by parsing the dosnet.inf file.
Every [FloppyFiles.*] section in dosnet.inf is referring to the files needed in the boot folder.
The d1 is referenced in the [Directories] section, which shows the path of where the file resides.

Since we copy the complete XP Source to the LocalSource folder $WIN_NT$.~LS
and we can make the Boot folder $WIN_NT$.~BT from the Info in the dosnet.inf file,
it would not be necessary to launch winnt32.exe anymore.

wimb

Edited by wimb, 28 November 2007 - 03:47 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

mthomas

mthomas
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
http://www.bootdisk.com/ is a great site that may help. You may wish to check out their utilities section.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

http://www.bootdisk.com/ is a great site that may help. You may wish to check out their utilities section.

Can I ask you the meaning of your post in this thread?

What would bootdisk.com help for?

Which utility on that site would help, and it would help who?

A good idea, expecially for people at their second post, would be to actually read what the thread is about, before posting unrequested and generic info.

jaclaz

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07
I have made a tiny Batch Program named BT_folder.cmd (see Attachment) :)
which from a given XPSOURCE directory will create the Windows XP Setup Bootfolder $WIN_NT$.~BT
named as XPBT folder in a given destination directory.

The BT_folder.cmd program makes the Bootfolder by parsing the dosnet.inf file.
Every [FloppyFiles.*] section in dosnet.inf is referring to the files needed in the boot folder.
The d1 is referenced in the [Directories] section, which shows the path of where the file resides.

I will integrate BT_folder.cmd program in the usb_prep.cmd program
so that Windows XP Setup Bootfolder can be made without launching winnt32.exe /noreboot ....

A disadvantage and danger of using winnt32.exe is
that it Deletes LocalSource folder $WIN_NT$.~LS in ROOT of ANY Drive :ph34r:
which needs precautions by renaming such existing folders on USB-stick or USB-harddisk.
This is no longer a problem when we use the code of BT_folder, which is also faster.

Before presenting a new version of usb_prep.cmd with integrated BT_folder.cmd and
hopefully some GUI enhancements, I would like to know if BT_folder.cmd is working well
for all versions of Windows XP.

I have tested BT_folder.cmd for Windows XP Professional and it works OK,
but I have no Media Center Edition or Tablet PC and would like to hear about
test results for these or other versions. ;)
The program was designed to take all versions of Windows XP into account.

Synchronize dirs ... Command of Total Commander with the Compare command
and using for Show only Green and Blue Arrows selected, ;)
can be used for comparing XPBT Bootfolder with existing Windows XP Setup $WIN_NT$.~BT Bootfolder.

The differece will only be the migrate.inf and winnt.sif files
which are added afterwards with the usb_prep.cmd program as Custom files.

Regards,

wimb

Edit 27nov7: BT_folder.cmd2.cmd was slightly modified to make it more general.

Edit 29 feb 2008: Updated to BT_folder3.cmd
Removed in some cases possible DOSNET.INF Parsing Error

Attached Files

Edited by wimb, 29 February 2008 - 09:04 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07
The Batch Program usb_prep8.cmd can be used
to make Bootable USB-stick or USB-Harddisk for Install of Windows XP.

Important Changes in usb_prep8.cmd Batch Program:

The code of BT_folder.cmd program for making Windows XP Setup Bootfolder $WIN_NT$.~BT
by Parsing DOSNET.INF was added to the usb_prep8.cmd program,
so that launching of winnt32.exe /noreboot .... can be avoided and is no longer needed. :)

A Custom winnt.sif file in the usb_prep folder is needed now,
which will be copied by the usb_prep8.cmd program to the $WIN_NT$.~BT Bootfolder.

For UNATTENDED Install make Changes in usb_prep folder:
Change Product Key in winnt.sif and winnt_dp.sif and Change $OEM$ folder to your needs.
Use for Preparing USB-Drive Only winnt.sif file without an [Unattended] Section.
Don't change commands for using BTS DriverPacks.
winnt_dp.sif is used by usb_prep.cmd when using XPSOURCE with DriverPacks Integrated.

It is not needed anymore to Set the Drive Letter for the Virtual TempDrive,
since there is used now an Automatic Preset Value (mostly Drive T: is used).

VBScript was used for making GUI enhancements for the usb_prep8.cmd Batch Program.

When a .vbs script file is executed by cscript.exe from a Command Window,
then the wscript.echo of VBScript is send as output of cscript to that Command Window
instead of giving for the wscript.echo a GUI pop-up.

When a .vbs script is executed by doubleclick then a wscript.echo statement
is giving as you can try just only a GUI pop-up message with the echo of the return value
e.g. displaying the return value of a VBScipt Function.

The return value of the VBScript Function given as output of cscript to the Command Window,
can be evaluated by using the FOR /F command according to

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('CSCRIPT.EXE //NoLogo u_script\FolderSel.vbs') DO SET src_ok=%%A

This mechanism enables the possibility to use GUI enhancements in a CMD Batch Program. :)

Rob van der Woude gives very valuable information on this subject.
SEE: http://www.robvander...ermessages.html
And a lot of handy Windows Script Host Examples, among which BrFolder.vbs implemented as FolderSel.vbs
http://www.robvander...amples_b.html#B

MsgBox References:
http://www.w3schools...func_msgbox.asp
http://msdn2.microso...y/sfw6660x.aspx

The Wizard's Apprentice as proposed by jaclaz,
can provide also GUI enhancements in a Batch Program,
but that would require an additional download, since adding the 82 kB of this program
would make the usb_prep.zip file larger than the 200 kB Upload limit of MSFN.

So I decided to use a similar but integrated solution using cscript.exe with VBScript files,
which has the advantage that it requires only a very small amount of extra code in the Batch Program.

The usb_prep8.cmd program is given in the Attachment as usb_prep8.zip file :)

Regards,

wimb

Edit 4dec7: Small changes in usb_prep8.zip Attachment: mainly MsgBox icons and Help_usb_prep.txt file

Attached Files

Edited by wimb, 04 December 2007 - 02:46 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

steffabc

steffabc
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 10-November 07
thank you
tried it and works fine

Locaj

Locaj
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 09-December 07
Hiya

Got problem when trying to install... I run TXT mode and it loads up all drivers... at some point at very end of "first" txt mode it says on the bottom bar "Preparing to run Windows...." NOW i have blue screen. No folders on drive C: was created, no folders on USB drive created aswell... I cant see screen when you press Enter and than f8.

Ive seen taht usb_prep8 takes ntldr and other files from C: is it possible that it might be fault o my C: files?
Other thing is that my usb is seen as fixed not removable. So when PEtoUSB loads i need to chage category to fixed.

Got 3 partitions c-ntfs d-fat e-ntfs f-cd g-usbfixed. Should all be same? Should i combine them all to one partition?
Im lost i tried few times. Is there way ti change my usb to removable instead fixed?

Many thanks
Kind regards
Locaj

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Hi Locaj,

If I understood you correctly I see 2 problems:
1. BSOD
2. Your stick seen as fixed

To resolve them:
1. What hardware you are booting on? Dell?
Try to overwrite on stick ntdetect.com with Dietmar's modified ntdetect.com. Details here:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=14181

2. Did you try in usb_prep.cmd changing USB drive type to USB hard drive? Please try so, I think it was option 0.

Few other questions-
3. What is the windows version you are installing, is it customized?
4. Did you insert custom mass storage drivers?
5. What do you mean here-

Got 3 partitions c-ntfs d-fat e-ntfs f-cd g-usbfixed. Should all be same?

Is there way ti change my usb to removable instead fixed?

You should provide details about your stick model etc. Some manufacturers have utilities for that purpose, did you have a look at it's web site? jaclaz may help you more on this question.

@wimb- nice work :)
I haven't tested latest batch, no spare time at all, just a quick question which bothers me- are we sure there are not "not documented" actions from winnt32.exe? In case of such it would be tricky to replicate it's behavior. You say the problem with winnt32 is that it deletes any $win_nt$... folders, I think for regular user that shouldn't be a problem. How many have those folders on their hard drives? If they have it intentionally, probably deletion of such wouldn't bother them much, warning should be enough. Just my opinion.
Thanks again for your time and enthusiasm :)

Regards,
ilko

Edited by ilko_t, 13 December 2007 - 05:31 PM.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

liuzhigao

liuzhigao

• 17 posts
  • Joined 13-December 07
Now WINPE is very good.
this problem should can slove

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

@wimb- nice work :)
I haven't tested latest batch, no spare time at all, just a quick question which bothers me- are we sure there are not "not documented" actions from winnt32.exe? In case of such it would be tricky to replicate it's behavior. You say the problem with winnt32 is that it deletes any $win_nt$... folders, I think for regular user that shouldn't be a problem. How many have those folders on their hard drives? If they have it intentionally, probably deletion of such wouldn't bother them much, warning should be enough. Just my opinion.
Thanks again for your time and enthusiasm :)

Regards,
ilko

The code of BT_folder.cmd program for making Windows XP Setup Bootfolder $WIN_NT$.~BT
by Parsing DOSNET.INF , which was added to the usb_prep8.cmd program,
so that launching of winnt32.exe /noreboot .... can be avoided, makes the program much simpler and more direct.
It was tested several times and as far as I see there are no problems using it.

When a Bootable USB-harddisk with XP Install files is connected and at the same time an USB-stick is prepared,
then winnt32.exe would give unwanted effects, when it deletes $WIN_NT$.~LS folder of USB-harddisk.
So I see only advantages in not using winnt32.exe anymore in preparing the $WIN_NT$.... Folders.

Windows XP PowerPacker of Siginet is also using Parsing of DOSNET.INF instead of launching winnt32.exe
for making the $WIN_NT.~BT XP BootFolder. So in my opinion everything is save and even saver as before.

@Locaj
Your USB-stick is seen as Fixed instead of Removable, that might be the cause of your problem.
What is the size and the make of the stick ?
You can try to use Option 0) Change Type of USB-Drive, and use USB-Harddisk as Setting for a Fixed Device,
so that rdummy.sys makes USB Fixed Device being seen as Removable in Windows XP Setup.

Regards,

wimb
USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

Locaj

Locaj
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 09-December 07
Hiya

Thanks... I will try ntdetect.com. Will try to chage type to 0.

Im trying defoult english windows xp sp2 from oryginal cd =-].
I dont have any custom mass stroge drivers... WinXp automaticly detect and install it.
I meant i got 3 partitions... Disk C: which is NTFS. Next is D: and its Fat32 and E: NTFS. So maybe its problem that i have few different partitions.

My usb is complete noname. I cant even take the cover off to look at chips. Its glued and very hard to take off. Tried few times... only way is to crush the cover totaly ...

So rdummy.sys will make my usb seen as removable? So prep8 can do it right?
But it will be only short time coz after reinstall winXP will detect as fixed... something like that ?

Many Thanks
Locaj

Edited by Locaj, 15 December 2007 - 08:50 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

My usb is complete noname. I cant even take the cover off to look at chips. Its glued and very hard to take off. Tried few times... only way is to crush the cover totaly ...

Well, the idea is to find the VID and PID of the device via SOFTWARE, without being cruel to the poor little thing....;)

See these:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=15776
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1659

jaclaz

Locaj

Locaj
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 09-December 07
Hiya

Ive just changed Fixed to Removablo with this utility

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=15923

So easy...
Now it should bo all right ? =-]

HostFat

HostFat
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 20-December 07
usb_prep8.cmd doesn't support x64 because Virtual Disk Driver doesn't support it :(

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

usb_prep8.cmd doesn't support x64 because Virtual Disk Driver doesn't support it :(

That's a pity. I did not know, thanks for the Info.

By the way, it would not be so difficult to change the program such that the content for the USB-drive is written first to a harddisk folder or direct to the USB-drive, instead of using the Virtual tmpdrive.

Regards,

wimb
USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

pucelle

pucelle
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 26-December 07
So I tried this and I'm getting the following error message:
"The specified Setup script file (C:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid. Contact your system administrator."

I have no idea why I'm getting this message. Then when I hit ok, I get Making of LocalSource folder $WIN_NT$.~LS Ready Press any key to continue... Copying custom files to temp drive.... The system cannot find the path specified. It then takes forever to CRTL+C out before getting :

Does T:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386 specify a file name or directory name on the target (F = file, D = directory)?

C:migrate.inf 1 file copied
same question as above

more files are copied and then I get an error message about not being able to read/edit the tstsetup.sif file.

I checked the names, locations, cases, & attributes on said files, what else am I missing?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I checked the names, locations, cases, & attributes on said files, what else am I missing?

Maybe the SOURCE files are in some way nonstandard.

I mean whence they come from?

An OEM release (DELL,HP, etc.)?

Have they been modified in some way (slipstreaming, nlite, HFSLIP, etc.) ?

Most probably it's the first error (WINNT.SIF error) that triggers a chain of errors. :unsure:

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users