Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to boot/install from USB key ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
485 replies to this topic

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

"The specified Setup script file (C:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid. Contact your system administrator."

It might be that your winnt.sif file is causing the error. Check this file in Notepad Editor.
You used usb_prep6.cmd where you had to give and change the product key in the given winnt_sif.txt file
and copy this file as winnt.sif in your XPSOURCE\i386 folder.

There is a newer version of the program named usb_prep8.cmd which makes the XP Bootfolder quite differently,
without running winnt32.exe . It might well be that in this case you don't have your problem.
In this case the given winnt.sif file needs to remain located in the usb_prep8 folder.
The winnt.sif file provides the answers needed for Unattended Install of Windows XP and needs your Product Key !
Did you try to use usb_prep8.cmd ?

Regards,

wimb
USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pucelle

pucelle
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 26-December 07
I'm pretty certain I'm using version 8 as I had downloaded it based off the link in wimb's sig. I am using an OEM {Dell} xp s2 source and a customized winnt.sif that I made using a combination of nlite & my knowledge of the available options/commands in said file. I didn't use the nlite created nor the usb_prep ones, I just cut & paste as well as compared versions for things I was missing.

I wasn't sure where I was supposed to put the drivers so I put them in both places (the usb_prep $oem folder & the one in the XPSource\$oem folder). But I didn' t get that far in the installation. Sorry it took so long to reply but until I can get a "stable" copy of XP running I don't exactly have a working PC at work.

I reimaged my machine but the image we have is bad so I still need to figure out how to get this to work as I need to create a new image as well.

Oh, I also slipstreamed the recent updates into the OEM folders as there are like 60 of them for the version I have.

Thanks & Happy New Year (Joyeux Noel & Prospero Ano)!

Edited by pucelle, 01 January 2008 - 12:02 AM.

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

I'm pretty certain I'm using version 8 as I had downloaded it based off the link in wimb's sig. I am using an OEM {Dell} xp s2 source and a customized winnt.sif that I made using a combination of nlite & my knowledge of the available options/commands in said file. I didn't use the nlite created nor the usb_prep ones, I just cut & paste as well as compared versions for things I was missing.

In your Private communication you were speaking of errors when using usb_prep6.cmd
So I supposed that you did not use version 8, but it is clear now that you did use version 8

Can you post your winnt.sif file (after wiping the product key) ?
Where did you put your winnt.sif file ?
And what did you do with the well working winnt.sif file provided in the usb_prep8 folder ?

It is worthwhile to try the winnt.sif file provided in the usb_prep8 folder
and keep it there and change only the product key.
And I prefer not to use nLite.

Try first usb_prep8.cmd on a clean xp sp2 source and if successfull
then use RyanVM Integrator for integrating post-sp2 Update Pack, IE7 and WM11 Addon
and after that use DPs_Base for integrating only DriverPack Mass Storage with text mode enabled.
Everything is described in the provided Help_usb_prep.txt file, see section D.

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 01 January 2008 - 02:00 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Happy New Year everyone :D

@pucelle- your information is confusing :unsure:

So I tried this and I'm getting the following error message:
"The specified Setup script file (C:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid. Contact your system administrator."

I have no idea why I'm getting this message. Then when I hit ok, I get Making of LocalSource folder $WIN_NT$.~LS Ready Press any key to continue... Copying custom files to temp drive.... The system cannot find the path specified. It then takes forever to CRTL+C out before getting :

Does T:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386 specify a file name or directory name on the target (F = file, D = directory)?

C:migrate.inf 1 file copied
same question as above

more files are copied and then I get an error message about not being able to read/edit the tstsetup.sif file.

I checked the names, locations, cases, & attributes on said files, what else am I missing?

The above message indicates that there is something wrong within your winnt.sif, look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247882

At the same time you said that you used USB_Prep8, which doesn't use winnt32.exe parsing winnt.sif. In version 8 winnt.sif is simply copied, in all previous versions it's parsed by winnt32.exe.
The rest of your errors are because winnt32.exe didn't complete it's job creating ~BT and ~LS folders from your source.

I'm pretty certain I'm using version 8 ....

Regards,
ilko

edit:
wimb, may be you should remove the check for winnt32.exe in source and check for some other file(s), since it's no longer used and there are people, which remove this functionality from their source.
if exist %src_ok%\i386\winnt32.exe (
		SET xpsource=%src_ok%
) else (
	echo.
	echo  Error: The path %src_ok% does not contain Windows XP Source Files

Another idea is not to use tmpdrive and vdk anymore, either copy to a temporary folder or right to the USB destination, this will simplify the procedure and give x64 compatibility.

Just a quick remind to anyone with 64bits source and USB hard disk- rdummy.sys won't work on 64 bit windows. If there are requests for it I will compile it for x64 too.

Edited by ilko_t, 01 January 2008 - 02:52 PM.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

Happy New Year everyone :D

wimb, may be you should remove the check for winnt32.exe in source and check for some other file(s), since it's no longer used and there are people, which remove this functionality from their source.

if exist %src_ok%\i386\winnt32.exe (
		SET xpsource=%src_ok%
) else (
	echo.
	echo  Error: The path %src_ok% does not contain Windows XP Source Files

Another idea is not to use tmpdrive and vdk anymore, either copy to a temporary folder or right to the USB destination, this will simplify the procedure and give x64 compatibility.

Just a quick remind to anyone with 64bits source and USB hard disk- rdummy.sys won't work on 64 bit windows. If there are requests for it I will compile it for x64 too.

I will change the program such that dosnet.inf file is used as a marker to indicate a valid xp source directory.
It is a very good idea to change that since winnt32.exe is no longer used.

At the moment I am working on integrating USB_MultiBoot.cmd in usb_prep8.cmd.
In the new concept I removed already the use of a Virtual tmpdrive,
since it is no longer needed and gives problems with x64 versions of XP.

I am very interested in rdummy.sys version for 64 bit windows,
so that we can use this in the usb_prep8.cmd program and so improve the compatibility.
It would be very helpfull ilko_t if you can make that, because I have no experience about this subject.

@ilko_t
I thank you very much for your pioneering effort in this project and for your helpfull comments. :)

Cheers,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 02 January 2008 - 02:22 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

Sancho

Sancho

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-June 07
Why is the virtual drive even used and how is it being made? Funny enough, before seeing the tempdrive made, I made my own temp drive with the Windows source files in it so there wouldn't be spaces in the name. I think I saw that vdk.exe is being used, but why do this? I just put "subst O: C:\[xp files source]" for mine. Is it not different somehow?

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
In first scripts winnt32.exe was used, will it like subst? If yes- good idea, where were you a few months ago ? ;) Why virtual drive was used- post #295 and the next few.
Anyway, winnt32.exe is no longer used and virtual drive will not be used in next versions.

About rdummy.sys- I hoped for a simple recompiling, but that was no go, the code must be rewritten/changed, so we need a proper programmer to do this. I have something in mind, but am not sure at all whether I can get him to do that.

Edited by ilko_t, 07 January 2008 - 11:01 PM.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07
There is a complete New Program Available: USB_MultiBoot2.cmd :)

I have integrated usb_prep8.cmd in USB_MultiBoot2.cmd Batch Program, which:
- Prepares MultiBoot USB-Drive provided with Windows XP Setup LocalSource
- Supports Booting: MS-DOS FREEDOS BartPE WinPE 2.0 and Setup Windows XP
- Supports GRUB4DOS with DOS FLOPPY IMAGES + Linux and Supports SYSLINUX Menu
- Supports Portable WinTools which run direct from GO-Menu button

Changes:
- Virtual Drive is no longer used
Instead in MultiBoot2 Folder a Temporary Folder usb_xpbt is made with all Custom made Files,
and where the XP BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT is created by parsing DOSNET.INF from XP Source.
The XP Source is copied direct to the $WIN_NT$.~LS Folder on the USB-Drive
and not to the Temporary Folder usb_xpbt.

- Install of BartPE by PeToUSB is supported, where a 2-byte hexedit of peldr enables its use
in combination with coexisting XP Setup files, thus resolving possible conflict.

- New is the USB Content Source Folder U_CONTENT which is copied to USB-Drive,
and which can contain additional DOS, Linux and Win PE 2.0 files,
but one might also select the complete Content of an earlier made USB-stick.
Or one may select an empty Content Folder containing a needed empty usbflash TAGFILE.
The Bootsector Files, Install of Syslinux, peldr and migrate.inf are Renewed to make the MultiBoot USB-Drive.

- New is also the wintools folder with Portable win32 WinTools.
Double-click on GO_WINTOOLS_MENU.BAT on USB-drive provides WinTools Menu from GO button.

About rdummy.sys- I hoped for a simple recompiling, but that was no go, the code must be rewritten/changed, so we need a proper programmer to do this. I have something in mind, but am not sure at all whether I can get him to do that.

Very interesting, Hopefully the next version of MultiBoot2.cmd will also support rdummy.sys necessary
for Install of 64-bit version of XP from USB-Harddisk :)

Regards,

wimb

***** NOTE *****
The Attachment contains USB_MultiBoot2_X.zip with limited U_CONTENT folder due to Upload limitation.
The Full Version USB_MultiBoot2.zip with U_CONTENT folder containing a lot of FREEWARE programs
is available at the CD Forum: http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=20089

Download Direct USB_MultiBoot2.zip from CD Forum: USB_MultiBoot2.zip

Attached Files

Edited by wimb, 09 January 2008 - 02:21 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

Sancho

Sancho

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-June 07
Every time I try this I end up with an error before GUI setup:

Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

This happened with both of the latest versions. I was doing the fix at the end to make the USB drive U:, and the textmode setup would default to asking me if I was to install to the U: drive, and I would have to hit Esc and pick C. Is this normal? I tried without the fix at the end and it wouldn't ask anything at all before writing to the USB drive.

I don't understand why it always says that the file is missing. I'm using an nLited version of Windows Server 2003. I just want to install Windows. I tried using the BartPE and UBCD4Win environments and had no luck, the setup with winnt32.exe doesn't work and I don't know how I can just copy the files to the hard drive and somehow have it enter the textmode setup at boot.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
How many partitions you have you your HD?
Where do you install windows to?
Do you have any hidden or non-standard ones?
Try in BIOS to play with LBA and LARGE mode if it is AUTO.
Do you have any other USB mass storage devices plugged, including card readers, smartfones etc.
What do you mean

I tried using the BartPE and UBCD4Win environments and had no luck, the setup with winnt32.exe doesn't work

?

Did you change winnt.sif AFTER usb_prep...? You have to remove the whole section [UNATTENDED], so the installer would prompt you where to install. Also make sure in [DATA] AutoPartition=0

Rudi1

Rudi1

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
First,big Thanx for your work with this tool "wimb"!
I'am not try your latest one:USB_MultiBoot2.cmd,but yesterday I try usb_prep8.cmd,the boot from usb is going well,but I have an error when windows prepare to install and the error message say something about:can't find corred cd drive,please quit with F 3.
I will try today with your latest version. :hello:

Sancho

Sancho

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-June 07

Do you have any other USB mass storage devices plugged, including card readers, smartfones etc.
What do you mean

I tried using the BartPE and UBCD4Win environments and had no luck, the setup with winnt32.exe doesn't work

?

Did you change winnt.sif AFTER usb_prep...? You have to remove the whole section [UNATTENDED], so the installer would prompt you where to install. Also make sure in [DATA] AutoPartition=0

I tried it both with and without the Unattended sections and I always get the same error about that one file. I've made at least 10 builds with this utility alone and it hasn't worked.

Winnt32.exe doesn't work because of nLite, most likely. I've seen this happen before when I tried to run setup from inside Windows and it would skip to the last step and say it didn't work, and have me click Finish. Despite this not working, I have always been able to install Windows when I boot from the CD.

Like I said, I can copy the setup files to the HD in BartPE, but does that get me anywhere?

Rudi1

Rudi1

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
I try the latest version and now not have the error with cd drive and I can select the partition to install,but after that I have this error message:
The following value in the .SIF file used by setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section (SourceDiskFiles)

Setup cannot continue,press F3.

I'am not change anything in sif file.What I'am doing wrong to have this error? :blushing:

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

Every time I try this I end up with an error before GUI setup:

Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

This happened with both of the latest versions. I was doing the fix at the end to make the USB drive U:, and the textmode setup would default to asking me if I was to install to the U: drive, and I would have to hit Esc and pick C. Is this normal? I tried without the fix at the end and it wouldn't ask anything at all before writing to the USB drive.

I don't understand why it always says that the file is missing. I'm using an nLited version of Windows Server 2003. I just want to install Windows. I tried using the BartPE and UBCD4Win environments and had no luck, the setup with winnt32.exe doesn't work and I don't know how I can just copy the files to the hard drive and somehow have it enter the textmode setup at boot.

I prefer not to use nLite.

Try first USB_MultiBoot2.cmd on a clean xp sp2 source and if successfull
then use RyanVM Integrator for integrating post-sp2 Update Pack, IE7 and WM11 Addon
and after that use DPs_Base for integrating only DriverPack Mass Storage with text mode enabled.

XPSOURCE Space Saving Tips see: http://unattended.ms...xp/view/web/57/
You can Safely Remove the XPSOURCE folders:
WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG - This will free up 37.6 MB
LANG - 99 MB and cmpnents - 22.6 MB ( Needed for MCE / Tablet PC only )

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 09 January 2008 - 12:37 PM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

First,big Thanx for your work with this tool "wimb"!
I'am not try your latest one:USB_MultiBoot2.cmd,but yesterday I try usb_prep8.cmd,the boot from usb is going well,but I have an error when windows prepare to install and the error message say something about:can't find corred cd drive,please quit with F 3.
I will try today with your latest version. :hello:

Did you use the winnt.sif file supplied with usb_prep8.zip ?

It seems that Setup is looking for a CD which occurs when MsDosInitiated="0"
The Correct value for Setup from USB-Drive is MsDosInitiated="1"

wimb
USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

Rudi1

Rudi1

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
I'am made a new usb image with new version USB_MultiBoot2 and still not worked correct.
I have the new Asus EeePC and I have only options to install xp from Usb disk.I'am try 2 times with clean XP SP2 disk and I'am not use any other tool like nlite!When I boot to Usb and begin to install work just fine,but when the labtop is restarted I have this error message in both try the same:

Windows could not start becouse the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file

I just like to know why just the same xp disk work really fine when use it from CD boot,but fail in usb?
I can use another method explained from Lambo,but this is to slow and it take hours to install xp to this asus toy!
link:

http://www.atomicmpc...2...;t=1979&p=0

Edited by Rudi1, 09 January 2008 - 03:11 PM.

Rudi1

Rudi1

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
I'am just fix this problem.Looks like that I'am read the instruction to fast :whistle: and not see that I must in restart choose the gui mode.I'am boot again and choose usb disk and then the gui mode and the setup is continue!
Thanx guys for this great tool and your work!Now I have windows xp installed to Asus EeePC from usb.
Maybae you can do it just better if we can use nlited xp too.I'am not try nlited xp yet,but for shure we can save a lot of free space in this slim disk.Thanx again,you save me a lot of time and some money too! :thumbup

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

What do you mean

?

I tried it both with and without the Unattended sections and I always get the same error about that one file. I've made at least 10 builds with this utility alone and it hasn't worked.

Winnt32.exe doesn't work because of nLite, most likely. I've seen this happen before when I tried to run setup from inside Windows and it would skip to the last step and say it didn't work, and have me click Finish. Despite this not working, I have always been able to install Windows when I boot from the CD.

Like I said, I can copy the setup files to the HD in BartPE, but does that get me anywhere?

You did not answer most of my question, neither confirmed if the other suggestions were tried...how can I help you?!

Sorry, but you should do 10 rebuilds with Nlite, not with usb_prep.., since the problem is in your source.
Deleting [unattended] is to prevent TXT Setup NOT asking you where to install windows to and has nothing to do with ntoskrnl.exe error.

Nlited sources do work, just you have to be careful and understand what you are removing.

@Rudi1- thanks for feedback :)

Sancho

Sancho

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-June 07

What do you mean

?

You did not answer most of my question, neither confirmed if the other suggestions were tried...how can I help you?!

Sorry, but you should do 10 rebuilds with Nlite, not with usb_prep.., since the problem is in your source.
Deleting [unattended] is to prevent TXT Setup NOT asking you where to install windows to and has nothing to do with ntoskrnl.exe error.

Nlited sources do work, just you have to be careful and understand what you are removing.

@Rudi1- thanks for feedback :)

Well that makes no sense. If the nLite build is perfectly fine, then there's only the possibility of the problem being at this tool. If it can't accept an nLited source, nLite still doesn't have any reason to change for this. Clearly the install method is doing something that is very different from what would normally happen for the textmode and GUI steps.

Frankly I guess I ignored the top section where the bulk of your questions were, because I was in a rush and they don't seem to apply in my case. I have a single SATA drive with nothing on it. I couldn't get AHCI mode to work at all, so it's in IDE mode. Really nothing else I can configure there.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Install form a CD and install using winnt32.exe, which you reported not to work differ. Why- ask Microsoft.
Here, for now, we can use only the winnt32.exe approach, in earlier versions using directly winnt32.exe, in latest by "cloning" its functionality.
If you can help to develop a way to prepare stick like if using CD- please do so, you are more than welcome.
Why your nlited source didn't work with winnt32.exe you have to figure out. Start with a clean, not Nlited source, and find when functionality gets broken. This may take you more than 10 builds.

The questions I asked may not seem relevant for you, but to ask them I have reasons. If have to explain in details, this is going to take time, more than the one I could afford, so feel free to pay or not attention at all.
And I asked you to check LBA and LARGE hard disks mode, not AHCI or SATA. In some cases when hard drive is not seen properly this may lead to all kinds of "not making sense" results, as are their resolutions, this is not very likely, as I believe the problem is in your source, but would have taken you way less time to check settings, than the time I've spent to type all this.

Sancho

Sancho

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-June 07
Gee, this is just fanfriggingtastic. Screw you, and your little dog, too. People just don't seem to listen to reason....

Considering that I have a brain, I was able to figure it out and not come up with ridiculous non-sequiturs and imaginary reasoning.

Well... I ran this damn utility again, and as expected got the error about the file missing. I also ran UBCD4Win and looked at the HD, which revealed everything was just sitting there as it should. No missing files.

So what was that about using Winnt32.exe? First of all, I don't know why this crap wouldn't just emulate everything the normal textmode setup would do and then not require you to use the USB stick ever again. That is, when I use a CD I only boot from it once, this way here it just a hassle. Also using winnt32.exe here can't be the same way it is used when you run it from a Windows environment, and I would venture to guess you're just wrong in assuming winnt32 is being utilized.

So now what? Well since the garbage is copied to the HD, but it says files are missing, perhaps it refers to the wrong location. A quick guess was that, since this is but a simple script, it's assuming parameters are static when they are not, like how you can rename the Windows folder to whatever you want (which is what I had done). So I renamed "Win2003" to "Windows", and booya. It started up into the GUI setup after reimaging my damn USB stick once again. Further investigation reveals the culprit is the unchanging and assuming boot.ini file.

Also note: I completely left in the [Unattended] section and did NOT even reboot after creating the partition on my HD. By the way, you're welcome, for me sharing my genius with you here today.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Yep, you are genius indeed.
The typical error with XP ntldr/ntdetect.com when arcpath or windows folder path is messed is "hal.dll is missing or corrupted", exactly what was mentioned a few posts above.
Use ntldr/ntdetect.com from 2003, the same boot.ini, error becomes "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or..." . At least I am now aware, that the error message was changed in 2003. Thanks for the clue.

It seems you didn't pay attention to this question, which answer would have helped right away:

What do you mean

?

Not to mention how reading previous posts...

Hi cdob,

Next I installed windows at folder c:\windows51. First reboot failed.
Obviously boot.ini at USB stick dosn't match:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="GUI Mode Setup" /FASTDETECT

Can you think of simple way to adjust boot.ini on stick to match everyone's needs? May be if we include in usb_prep.cmd questions like "do you plan to install XP in folder other than default \WINDOWS?", "do you plan to install it on partition/disk other than first hard disk, first partition" and amend BOOT.INI on stick accordingly?
My opinion is this way of installing Xp from USB requires some user intervention, adjusting to one's specific needs. May be some info could be displayed about this issue in usb_prep.cmd. Another way is to revert back to Grub4Dos and invoke NTLDR on hard disk, in this case mapping should be used, which restricts us in the same way, because of the different drive/partition numeration. So we'd need to amend menu.lst, instead of BOOT.INI on stick. Can't think of any other way to avoid that....

Or help files:

Help_USB_Multiboot2.txt

...C. ***** NON-STANDARD INSTALLS OF WINDOWS XP *****

Install of XP Windows from the bootable USB-Drive
next to WINDOWS on the same or on a different partition of the harddisk,
was realised successfully by proper manually adjustment in advance
of the BOOT.INI file on the USB-Drive.

Adjust BOOT.INI on USB-Drive:
For Install on the Second Partition, change partition(1) in partition(2)
For Install Next to WINDOWS, change WINDOWS to what will be used as Install FoderName, e.g. WINDOWS51

So these non-standard installs are still possible,
but require only small changes in the BOOT.INI on the USB-Drive in advance.
Examples of such boot.ini files are given in the Help_Info folder.

could save geniuses some time, unneeded arrogance and ignorance.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Edited by ilko_t, 10 January 2008 - 01:14 PM.

Sancho

Sancho

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-June 07
Boy I love vague questions. Yes, your ugly list of questions should have clearly directed me to say "it's installed to X folder", which I guess is now standard computer terminology for "where" with no other arguments attached. And yeah, attacking nLite constantly and whatever other nonsense options sure really did a lot here. Good try on the attempt to save some face, though.

But really, if you think it would be useful to scour through all you peoples' old post from months prior, I might as well not ask for any help and save the time by answering my own questions.

Plus I looked specifically for anything at all that could have been said about my issue, but I guess I can't expect a bunch of Internet Experts to compile a decent ReadMe when they come up with a final release.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,823 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

But really, if you think it would be useful to scour through all you peoples' old post from months prior, I might as well not ask for any help and save the time by answering my own questions.

EXCELLENT idea. :)

If, while doing the above, you could also avoid posting here offending people that have worked for months on this project would also be higly appreciated, and I guess ilko's poor innnocent pup would appreciate it too. ;)

jaclaz

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

EXCELLENT idea. :)

If, while doing the above, you could also avoid posting here offending people that have worked for months on this project would also be higly appreciated, and I guess ilko's poor innnocent pup would appreciate it too. ;)

jaclaz

Yes ! :hello:

The typical error with XP ntldr/ntdetect.com when arcpath or windows folder path is messed is "hal.dll is missing or corrupted", exactly what was mentioned a few posts above.
Use ntldr/ntdetect.com from 2003, the same boot.ini, error becomes "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or..." . At least I am now aware, that the error message was changed in 2003.

@ilko_t
For INSTALL of Windows 2003 I added the following lines to Help_USB_MultiBoot2.txt
in the Section C. for NON STANDARD INSTALLS

ERROR Message for WIN2003: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file missing
indicates Install Foldername does not correspond to foldername in boot.ini
For Windows 2003 one has to adjust Manually boot.ini in Advance.
In makebt\boot.ini change foldername WINDOWS in WIN2003
or don't change boot.ini and use WINDOWS as Install Foldername instead of WIN2003

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 11 January 2008 - 03:53 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users