Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to boot/install from USB key ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
485 replies to this topic

Rudi1

Rudi1

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
This latest days I'am try several xp install from Usb with wimb program and I must say that work really fine with original windows xp sp 2 pro version and if you read carefully instruction how you must do it :rolleyes:
I also try different usb keys and it work well,but I have a problem with nlited xp.The nlite xp is important for me,becouse I have the new Asus EeePc laptop which one have only 4 gb disk and full xp install take almost half of it.
I like to ask if is posible to made this program with support for installing all xp version(pro,home,nlite..)?
I know we can do it with boot usb and winnt.exe command,but this options take a lot of time to install.
Wimb and some other guys here is made almost impossible tool :thumbup .With this tool we can install windows xp like in the CD way,but from usb key,so maybae is the way for this option...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

This latest days I'am try several xp install from Usb with wimb program and I must say that work really fine with original windows xp sp 2 pro version and if you read carefully instruction how you must do it :rolleyes:
I also try different usb keys and it work well,but I have a problem with nlited xp.The nlite xp is important for me,becouse I have the new Asus EeePc laptop which one have only 4 gb disk and full xp install take almost half of it.
I like to ask if is posible to made this program with support for installing all xp version(pro,home,nlite..)?
I know we can do it with boot usb and winnt.exe command,but this options take a lot of time to install.
Wimb and some other guys here is made almost impossible tool :thumbup .With this tool we can install windows xp like in the CD way,but from usb key,so maybae is the way for this option...

Unfortunately there is not a "standard" nlited Xp, it all depends on what you remove with nlite.

You just remove one component too much and bam! it won't work anymore.

Just for the record, since you own a Eeepc, a "NICK" guy here:
http://www.digwin.co...usb-flash-drive
is distributing wimb's (and ilko_t's, and all the other people who contributed to this project) work without mentioning them (us) nor MSFN. :wacko:

If you have some spare time, can you (and other members, of course) post there, expressing how this way of publishing and distributing other people's work without citing them is an unfair practice?

(I tried to, but my current setup is not working on that site) :(

jaclaz

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
@all
Please when using Nlite do NOT select Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal. This reduces in my setup source only 11.12MB, AFAIK has no effect on targed size, but screws up DOSNET.INF in way, so we can't use it for purpose of this project.

Here is report, of differences found in DOSNET.INF before and after nlite, used only with the above mentioned option.

@Rudi1- make a new source and make sure you do not select that option, please report if that was the problem.

@wimb- I don't get the idea why this check for FAT. I used USB_MultiBoot2 on FAT32 virtual drive and couldn't go further. There is also possibility to install from NTFS formatted USB hard drive. makeBS.cmd is happy with NTFS, thanks to jaclaz, only boot file name length must be 5 symbols exactly.
Can you also have a look at the attached report.html, may be some check if the mention option in Nlite was used should be done, this will avoid a lot invalid preparations.

@jaclaz- with the Asus EeePC expect a lot of traffic :)

Regards,
ilko

Attached Files

Edited by ilko_t, 19 January 2008 - 03:24 PM.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

@all
Please when using Nlite do NOT select Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal. This reduces in my setup source only 11.12MB, AFAIK has no effect on targed size, but screws up DOSNET.INF in way, so we can't use it for purpose of this project.

Here is report, of differences found in DOSNET.INF before and after nlite, used only with the above mentioned option.

@wimb- I don't get the idea why this check for FAT. I used USB_MultiBoot2 on FAT32 virtual drive and couldn't go further. There is also possibility to install from NTFS formatted USB hard drive. makeBS.cmd is happy with NTFS, thanks to jaclaz, only boot file name length must be 5 symbols exactly.
Can you also have a look at the attached report.html, may be some check if the mention option in Nlite was used should be done, this will avoid a lot invalid preparations.

Regards,
ilko

In USB_MultiBoot2.cmd the check that the Target USB-Drive has FAT Format,
was needed in view of making MS-DOS and FREEDOS Bootsector Files for MultiBoot Support.
For Install of Windows XP from USB-Drive it is not necessary to limit to USB-Drives having FAT Format,
but Real USB-Drives formatted with PeToUSB have always a FAT Format,
and so it was thought also as userfriendly to present for Selecting as Target USB-Drive only Drives having FAT Format.

In the next version of the Program I can move the FAT Format check for the Target USB-Drive to a later stage,
where actually the Bootsector Files are made, so that the USB-drive in general can have any Format.

To the Help File I will Add the very interesting and worthfull frase:
- In Nlite do NOT select Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal
I will also try to make some check on this in the USB_MultiBoot2.cmd Program.
Thanks ilko_t for your helpfull comment and advice on this.

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 20 January 2008 - 04:05 AM.

Rudi1

Rudi1

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
I'am made a new install with ilko_t suggestion and I keep Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal in nlite and I can install windows xp pro sp2 without any problems in my EeePC.So far I'am try only pro version,so I don't know about home version,but looks like if we keep Manual Install and Upgrade for removal in nlite we can install nlited xp without problems. :thumbup

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

But really, if you think it would be useful to scour through all you peoples' old post from months prior, I might as well not ask for any help and save the time by answering my own questions.

EXCELLENT idea. :)

If, while doing the above, you could also avoid posting here offending people that have worked for months on this project would also be higly appreciated, and I guess ilko's poor innnocent pup would appreciate it too. ;)

jaclaz

:hello: I'm not commenting the tone Sancho used, but really, you can't expect people to go through all 24 pages of this thread. Not everybody got enough time nor will to "learn and learn and learn", some just want a solution to their problem. By the time few will have read this thread's first page, that alone contains 20 links, thousands will give credit to people like Nick, not for your (huge) work, research and achievements, but just for him putting it all in a few lines. Someone needs to summarize this thread, be it in the 1st post or by making a sticky. Please don't flame me, I think I'm just being realistic. :unsure:

wrayal

wrayal

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 19-May 07
I took great pleasure in reading every last page of this thread to be honest. I know it's nice to have a little summary but...don't be ungracious for the immense work these people have done. They have provided a solution to what you are looking for. If you are too lazy to even read....think! These people were in your position and had to *write* a solution!!

[for the record - I submitted a post on 'Nick's site...and it got deleted. What a tool...sometimes militant solutions really do seem attractive...]

Edited by wrayal, 22 January 2008 - 03:59 PM.

HKCU

HKCU
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08
Hi guys... great work here!!!

I installed Windows XP Pro, both english and german version, several times on my ASUS Eee PC using usb_prep8.

Starting with a full source over with some nlite versions. I can confirm that you run only in problems, when you remove "Manual Install and Upgrade" under Operating System Options. Now my final nlite Version is only around 195MB and consumes around 650MB of space (excluded pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys) after installing to the 4GB SSD of the Eee PC.

As i'm from Germany, i wanna write a guide in German language, how to use usb_prep8. Many people are not so familiar with english language and the result of translation tools are often poor.

But i don't wanna make the mistake not to mention the creator of it or MSFN. Just wanna ask about your opinion before i start with it.

Once again... great work.

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

As i'm from Germany, i wanna write a guide in German language, how to use usb_prep8. Many people are not so familiar with english language and the result of translation tools are often poor.

But i don't wanna make the mistake not to mention the creator of it or MSFN. Just wanna ask about your opinion before i start with it.

Once again... great work.

@HKCU
Thanks for your interest in the program usb_prep8.cmd.
The USB_MultiBoot2.cmd is an improvement of usb_prep8.
SEE: Make MultiBoot USB-Drive for Install of Windows XP

You are welcome to write a guide in German language.

@all
It is easy to use the Program USB_MultiBoot2.cmd
Important Help Instructions are given when Running USB_MultiBoot2.cmd Program.
Read carefully the Help in the Intro for Making the MultiBoot USB-Drive
and at the Exit of the Program for Using the prepared USB-Drive.
These Instructions can also be read afterwards in the usb_prep.log File.

Further Info is given in the Help_USB_MultiBoot2.txt File located in the Help_Info Folder.
Besides there is an extensive Guide given at the CD Forum on how the MultiBoot USB-Drive is prepared.

All Important Links are given below ( visible in all my posts )

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb, 23 January 2008 - 01:41 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

:hello: I'm not commenting the tone Sancho used, but really, you can't expect people to go through all 24 pages of this thread. Not everybody got enough time nor will to "learn and learn and learn", some just want a solution to their problem. By the time few will have read this thread's first page, that alone contains 20 links, thousands will give credit to people like Nick, not for your (huge) work, research and achievements, but just for him putting it all in a few lines. Someone needs to summarize this thread, be it in the 1st post or by making a sticky. Please don't flame me, I think I'm just being realistic. :unsure:

On the contrary, I was commenting EXACTLY the tone he used and the extreme lack of any kind of gracefulness in the posts this guy made.

Noone is required to read the entire thread, everyone is kindly asked to act politely, and give the required info to:
1) make us be able to help him/her
2) possibly find and fix any flaw in the procedure (for everyone)

That's the whole idea of developing and beta testing something, interactive feedback until problem is solved.

I tried to somehow "code" this in "Common Sense Advice" given here:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

but more generally the idea is that you shouldn't ever post on a board something that, if said in "real life", as an example at the pub, would probably get you a punch in the mouth. ;)

Now, is this way (posting on a single thread on a board) the ideal situation for developing an app and to support it? :blink:

Surely not, it would be much better if this thingy here had it's own Homepage, Online Help and dedicated Forum, but life is tough, you have to live with some shortcomings.

The good news is that, little by little and thanks to the efforts of wimb and the cooperation of several users, there is some help and usability and dependability has vastly increased.

Maybe it's time to ask some Admin/Mods of MSFN if they think this project be worth it's own sub-forum in "Member Contributed Projects", or in "Member Contributed Projects\Other Member Contributed Projects"; that would surely better the quality of the support. :thumbup

jaclaz

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
UPDATE!

In one of the fastest and swiftest move I've ever witnessed :),

THERE IS NOW A NEW SUB-FORUM DEDICATED TO THIS PROJECT

Here:
http://www.msfn.org/...P-USB-f157.html

Please, from now on, leave this thread, which will be maintained for historical reasons, alone and start posting on the new subforum.

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users