Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

-hmm, this project really has me reconsidering my stance on winME... :yes:

I was wondering if I could get some personal views/input from you guys, about why you would choose winME over, say, win98se *with* 98se2me installed?

What are the benefits of straight ME, since we (win98se+98se2me) are getting 700+ of winME's system files transplanted directly into the OS anyway?

I have the option of installing either OS; and I'm just about to start a new fresh install (was going to be 98se+98se2me again, for sure, but now I wonder...?)

any input/personal feelings either way would be great!

>;]

Hrm... WinME basically is a buggy patch for Win98SE. 98SE2ME enables you to use updated system files from WinME, with the added stability that the Win98SE kernel offers. Essentially, through all my testing, 98SE2ME is a LOT more stable than WinME itself.

Actually, I wonder if it would be possible to take this service pack and dump its contents onto the WinME CD, then use it as the source for 98SE2ME, so you get all the latest updates for WinME included with Win98SE. (You'd probably have to manually do all the killer replacements, as I believe MDGx's scripts are all CAB-File based, and aren't looking for individual files on the CD)

-hmm, this project really has me reconsidering my stance on winME... :yes:

I was wondering if I could get some personal views/input from you guys, about why you would choose winME over, say, win98se *with* 98se2me installed?

What are the benefits of straight ME, since we (win98se+98se2me) are getting 700+ of winME's system files transplanted directly into the OS anyway?

I have the option of installing either OS; and I'm just about to start a new fresh install (was going to be 98se+98se2me again, for sure, but now I wonder...?)

>;]

Hrm... WinME basically is a buggy patch for Win98SE. 98SE2ME enables you to use updated system files from WinME, with the added stability that the Win98SE kernel offers. Essentially, through all my testing, 98SE2ME is a LOT more stable than WinME itself.

Actually, I wonder if it would be possible to take this service pack and dump its contents onto the WinME CD, then use it as the source for 98SE2ME, so you get all the latest updates for WinME included with Win98SE. (You'd probably have to manually do all the killer replacements, as I believe MDGx's scripts are all CAB-File based, and aren't looking for individual files on the CD)

I posted that question to MGDX one time and didn't get an answer. 98se2me seems to include some of the updated ME files .... but then pulls lots of files off the ME cd. I know that just about every file on the CD has been replaced in one of the official ME updates with a newer "bug fixed" version so I asked MGDX is 98se2me was only pulling files from the ME cd that had not been replaced with a newer version. I got no answer.

What concerns me about this WINMEsp2 project is they seem to be trying to integrate files that are not part of the official ms updates into the initial release. It seems like the logical thing to do, and what I would like to see done, is to just put together a "SP2" that just takes all the files that you would get from going the "windows update" route with it's 6-8 download, install, reboot, and repeat process and install them all in one shot.

Then once that is working properly, add the "unofficial" fixes and files from later oses and updates and patches and adding those as an "option 2" . It just seems to me that they are trying to cram too much into the initial release.

Get the official updates working flawlessly first. Then work on adding other updates.

Edited by foothills

I know that just about every file on the CD has been replaced in one of the official ME updates with a newer "bug fixed" version

Wrong. Win ME CD contains about 7000 files but just 139 files are updated.

Petr

I know that just about every file on the CD has been replaced in one of the official ME updates with a newer "bug fixed" version

Wrong. Win ME CD contains about 7000 files but just 139 files are updated.

Petr

Then how come the used hd space more than doubles after installing Ie6, directx9, mp9 and then installing all critical updates directly from windows update?? It goes from something like 600mb to over 1.2 gig. I know this because I made a ghost image of a virgin install then installed the above programs and continued going back to windows update and installing critical updates until it said there were no more and the resulting used hd space and post update ghost image was over 1.2 gig(no.. that didn't include the original image).

It requires about 8 trips to windows update with reboots in between to get them all.

Edited by foothills

If you install an update for WinME, the file is copied three times on your disk. It is copied to it's destination location. It is copied into the the options/cabs folder and also in the options/install folder. As many of those files are always in use by Windows, they are replaced by wininit on reboot and wininit on WinME backs up any file it replaces or deletes into the _restore/temp folder, this even if System Restore is removed from the OS.

If you add to this what System Restore does store (without taking into account wininit which works entirely independently from Sytem Restore), it is not surprising that you get what you get in terms of size.

-good answer, eidenk; I was about to mention (some) of those things myself...

-98se2me *does* include all relative ME updated files; MDGx is very good about that (I'm surprised he didn't respond to you, as u mentioned; he's usually also very good about that, as he is about everything, really); perhaps he doesn't include updated files which showed some problems (not all updates are good)...

-and about "unofficial" files in this ME sp: I kinda agree with you about that, it should be separated into different options, during the install: only official updates, or *all* recommended updates/files (incl. unofficial), just to be user-friendly and safe. (I myself would prefer the "total" pkg; -from 20 yrs of experience, I trust Eeeevil Micro$h_t *much* less than truly enthusiastic users who actually *care* about their work/systems; just look at Micro$h_t's abysmal reliability/stability/security/support/etc history... there's a *reason* that "unofficial" updates even exist! 'Cause Micro$h_t was too dam lazy/uncaring to do something right, for a change... (or too dam greedy; if they made/fixed an OS that actually worked right, then why would we be compelled to swell their already-fat monopolistic pockets by buying their newer OSes? :yes: )

-but, I digress; sry; I do appreciate any/all input, as I try to make my decision about which OS to (fresh) install (again)...

Edited by PsycoUnc

When you choose Option 2, you do get what you want. But you also get some other fixes for buggy 9x/Me Microsoft files that everyone should have. That's why they are not voluntary. They shouldn't be voluntary. (Okay, maybe you don't want the games (but I do!) but you can always remove those!)

And make sure you do the Unofficial Service Pack first as that gives you many more necessary updates. And those will not be overwritten by 98SE2ME. No worries.

All this is in MDGx's readme for 98SE2ME.

If you just want the official (and, as they are, really unreliable) Windows Updates, then just install Windows Me and run Windows Update. Of course, that route will be gone in July. And also, if you want a well-running system then going all official like is really not acceptable anymore.

If you just want the official (and, as they are, really unreliable) Windows Updates, then just install Windows Me and run Windows Update. Of course, that route will be gone in July. And also, if you want a well-running system then going all official like is really not acceptable anymore.

actually Eck, Windows Update should still function for Win98/ME systems even past july 2006 including ME's Automatic Updates feature.

PsycoUnc has very good points about unofficial fixes included in the ME service pack.

98SE2ME versus WinME pros + cons [please see the "FAQ" section]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

HTH

About 98SE2ME being up to date:

I always make sure to include all newest WinME updates, but only if they are compatible with Win98 SE, which means I test them 1st.

More details on this issue [please see the "FAQ" section]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

HTH

I posted that question to MGDX one time and didn't get an answer. 98se2me seems to include some of the updated ME files .... but then pulls lots of files off the ME cd. I know that just about every file on the CD has been replaced in one of the official ME updates with a newer "bug fixed" version so I asked MGDX is 98se2me was only pulling files from the ME cd that had not been replaced with a newer version. I got no answer.
Sorry if I didn't get to answer your question(s), I probably missed those posts, but not intentionally.

I try to read all these threads whenever I can, but I'm sure I missed a few, because:

- my spare time is quite limited

- way too many posts to keep track of.

Therefore, when for 1 reason or another I don't answer a question/request in about a week of so, please PM or e-mail me [click the blue E-mail link]:

http://www.mdgx.com/form.htm

Thanks.

HTH

Edited by MDGx

-thx, MDGx, I'll take (another) look, as soon as I get the time...

but I also wanted input from the other users here, those who've

modded/tweaked/YANKED the crap outa ME, and now really like it...

(especially about stability/speed, after yanking; I'm not too interested in

additional features, except maybe if "FULL" ME might possibly provide

usb2.0 support for my HATED mobo (tried EVERYTHING/EVERYWHERE else,

no go for sis650/7002...)

Edited by PsycoUnc

(especially about stability/speed, after yanking; I'm not too interested in

additional features, except maybe if "FULL" ME might possibly provide

usb2.0 support for my HATED mobo (tried EVERYTHING/EVERYWHERE else,

no go for sis650/7002...)

WinME does NOT have built-in USB 2.0 support, PsycoUnc. you'll need Win2k SP4 or Win XP SP1/SP2 to use USB 2.0 devices (like my brother's iPod which only connects to usb 2.0 [NOT usb 1.1] ports).

...yes, I know/suspected, :blushing: , just so dam desperate after so much searchin/testin/swearin...

>;]

(...but I'm still interested in any potential speed/stability/etc improvements which might apply to ME over 98se2me... -there must be some reasons why the users in this (and other ME) threads prefer ME to 98se2me, when w98se CD's are a dime a dozen these days... ?)

Edited by PsycoUnc

Any word on a release candidate yet???

NO FOOTHILLS! just wait for one. the_guy will let us know whenever he is ready. dont ask any more future questions about an RC release. it will come BUT we ALL have to wait patiently.

Edited by erpdude8