Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Quick update guys: Finals for me are coming up for this semester at school. I don't think I'll be able to release anything before the first weekend in February. I will still be here from time to time though. If something is released before then, it will be in the next week.

the_guy

I'm thinking of sending you an updated SPUPDATE.INF file that will resolve most of the problems found in the current beta of the ME service pack. let me know if you need it.

Glad to hear the problems are being worked out - is there no way to fix the broken DLLs in the meantime or would that be more trouble then it's worth?

Thanks!

Chris.

Don't worry about the broken DLLs, Chris. the_guy and I are working on the problem and will be resolved in the next beta release.

@erpdude8: send it. I might have already fixed most of the problems, but if not, the updated ink would be a good help.

I'll be sending it in a few moments today, the_guy. I may also have to revise the SCR56.INF file and make that INF file force the installation of the WSH 5.6 build 8832 files, overwriting the broken build 8833 files.

be sure to include the WSH 5.6 build 8832 files as well as version 5.50.4134.120 of the SHELL32.DLL file

Edited by erpdude8

It's a Pentium II 266 w/ 160MB of RAM. Slow, but it gets the job done for what I need.

try to put more RAM into your WinME computer, -Chris-. WinME works best with at least 256Mb of RAM, which my HP Pavilion computer has. my HP computer with pre-installed ME used to have 64megs of RAM but now it has 256megs (though I may up it to 512Mb a few years from now if the RAM chips get cheaper, my HP computer can handle up to 512Mb of memory).

@erpdude8: send it. I might have already fixed most of the problems, but if not, the updated ink would be a good help.

the_guy

I'm wondering if you have received the revised spupdate.inf and scr56.inf files I sent you a week ago.

also can you include KB925753 vbscript.dll 5.6.0.8832 file into the SP?

Yes I have, and done! KB925753 was added for a while.

Note to all: New roots certificate update released, however, it won't install on 98SE/ME. What should I do?

the_guy

I'm going to create a new topic about the new roots certificate patch shortly and discuss about it. also please send me (and MDGx) the KB925753 patch.

It's a Pentium II 266 w/ 160MB of RAM. Slow, but it gets the job done for what I need.

try to put more RAM into your WinME computer, -Chris-. WinME works best with at least 256Mb of RAM, which my HP Pavilion computer has. my HP computer with pre-installed ME used to have 64megs of RAM but now it has 256megs (though I may up it to 512Mb a few years from now if the RAM chips get cheaper, my HP computer can handle up to 512Mb of memory).

Can't - 160 is the max. Did however upgrade teh CPU to a Pentium 2 400, which was incredibly difficult and now I fully understand why they say laptops aren't upgradeable.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't - 160 is the max. Did however upgrade teh CPU to a Pentium 2 400, which was incredibly difficult and now I fully understand why they say laptops aren't upgradeable.

then u should downgrade Windows to Windows 98 SE. Windows ME needs horsepower. 160 megs of RAM AINT good enough for WinME, Chris. Win98se, on the other hand, should work at optimal performance with 160Mb of memory and uses much less system resources than WinME

Yes I have, and done! KB925753 was added for a while.

so, the_guy, have you obtained the KB925753 hotfix yet? please email it to me ASAP. I'll include it in the next release of the 98fe SP

Edited by erpdude8

KB925753 is on MDGx's site, under Windows Server 2003 hotfixes.

Also, expect a new release in a couple of days.

the_guy

KB925753 Vbscript.dll fix is listed on MDGx's Windows Server 2003 page but the direct download link to it is not working. get 404 File NOT Found error message. tell him to post the correct URL to the patch.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, after so much time (and forgetfullness on my part), a new release. I was going to make this a preview release, but there is still a couple of modifications I want to make before this goes final.

CHANGELOG:

-Included patched shdoclc.dll (buggy .htm files)

-Included patched vgx.dll (VML flaw from MS06-055)

-Rolled back jscript.dll, vbscript.dll and wshom.ocx to version 5.6.0.8832

-fixed qfecheck.exe and 918047un.inf bugs

-Removed metapad. Added unofficial notepad fix.

-Added 920213. Replaces 890046. Does work on Windows ME.

-Added fixes for dialing rules

-Added Q931836

-Added shell32.dll from unofficial shell32.dll fix

-Added 827078/926047. Replaces 314147. Does work on Windows ME.

-Added strmdll.dll from 925398. Replaces wmp 6.4 version.

-Updated rootsupd.exe to unofficial version

-Updated msasn1.dll to version included in 891861 (replaces 835732 version)

-Added riched20.dll from 920816. Replaces 872978 version

-Removed Q329128 (for MDAC 2.5 SP3)

Also, I have made a new utility that simulates the Date/Time Properties box coming up and having the OK button clicked.

TO DO:

-Remove DOS box from install process

-Split up SUPP to move files that are not from Option 1 into a new cab file (maybe alt.cab?)

-Add script 5.7 files from Vista RC2

I have my TO DO list pretty much done here, but I just want to make sure that everything is smooth.

Linkage (temporary): Clicky

the_guy

Finally, after so much time (and forgetfullness on my part), a new release. I was going to make this a preview release, but there is still a couple of modifications I want to make before this goes final.

I have my TO DO list pretty much done here, but I just want to make sure that everything is smooth.

Linkage (temporary): Clicky

the_guy

Tried it.

One message during install that my npwmsdrm.dll (DRM STORE NETSCAPE PLUG IN) Version 9.00.3287 was a later version than the service pack was trying to install. I kept my later version.

Looking at the entries in qfecheck under WME SP2, the one listing the ASPI files is titled " SP21ASPI %UPDNAME%"

Looks good

@simonw: Those bugs will be fixed for the next version.

Also, a known issue: I forgot to include the newer version of hhctrl.ocx released last month. It will be included in the next beta.

the_guy