Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Service Pack for Windows ME

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
549 replies to this topic

echelonone

echelonone
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 15-February 13
Everybody must die...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

echelonone

echelonone
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 15-February 13
...sooner or later, LOL!!!

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

I have also the Millenium SP2 Service Pack, the newer and buggy one. Shall I upload it? ;)

Probably wouldn't hurt to give PROBLEMCHYLD all the resources we can give him.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I will probably keep the IE 5.5 SP2 Core files, because users can remove IE 5 with IEradicator if they don't plan to use IE as default browser. I think OPPCOM 2.1 and IEradicator combine with an updated SP will give users a killer system.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 24 February 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Anyone know how to fix this error? Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1: %2

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
Sounds like a wininit error message, it means that a source file cannot be found and so the target cannot be upgraded. There might more specific info in the wininit.log file.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I guess we can ignore the message I was getting. Even using some of MDGx Unofficial Updates, I get the same message. The files seems to have updated though. Here is a BETA 3.0. It is based off the Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition Service Pack 3.x.

Notes: To benefit using the IE 5.5 SP2 Core Files, you must remove Internet Explorer using IEradicator. Only do this if you plan to use another browser such as, Opera, Firefox etc.....

You guys can use the package as a testing point for me to go further with updates. A clean install is not necessary ATM. Lots of testing is needed. I don't think you guys will have any major problems because all of the options are compatible. Some options are disabled due to files not being ready.

Changes -

Disabled Main Updates
Disabled Microsoft Management Console 1.2.0
Disabled Logos
Removed 2_4DATE.EXE
Removed PATCHES.BAT
Removed Resource Hacker 3.6.0.92
Removed TOUCH.EXE 5.0.1754.1
Removed Microsoft Agent Server 2.0 (already included in Windows Millennium Edition)
Removed Microsoft Internet Printing Protocol Client 1.0 (already included in Windows Millennium Edition)
Removed Universal Plug and Play (already included in Windows Millennium Edition)
Removed Windows Management Instrumentation (already included in Windows Millennium Edition)
Removed Windows Millennium Edition/Windows 2000 Theme (already included in Windows Millennium Edition)
Removed Zip Folders (already included in Windows Millennium Edition)

Unofficial Windows Millennium Edition Service Pack 3.0 Beta 1 You must add .EXE to the file when saving. :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

tsampikos

tsampikos

• 46 posts
  • Joined 30-August 11
The features that are disabled are now optional to install or are entirely removed for the service pack?

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
I looked into the SP3.cab and SUPP.cab files.

I found a few files, which seem to be originals or older files. I guess these files are needless.

SP3.Cab: VNETBIOS.VXD, ASFSIPC.DLL, DRMSTOR.DLL, DXTMSFT3.DLL, OPENGL32.DLL

I'll test it soon.

Thanks for your work.

Edited by schwups, 25 February 2013 - 04:06 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
The options that are disabled needs to be updated. There are hundreds of files I need to get. I had asked for a list some time ago and never got it. This will take some time because its not a high priority. I also need someone to gather all of the changes throughout the post so I can create an updated changelog. In the meantime, just work with options that are NOT disabled.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Anyone know how to fix this error? Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1: %2

I was able to fix the error by disabling System Restore. There was no error message on BOOT :thumbup
Every single option installed without error. I also have a BETA 2 ready and will upload it later. Its minor changes, but testers should download it anyway. I will be testing this package in the future with and without IEradicator and Oppcom 2.1. I think Oppcom is a better soultion than 98lite for WinME.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

zuko1

zuko1

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 15-December 06
I'v searched everywhere for Oppcom 2.1 but i cannot find it :( Any links?

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I'v searched everywhere for Oppcom 2.1 but i cannot find it :( Any links?

Oppcom 2.1 and IEradicator will add extra stability and performance. They are not required.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 26 February 2013 - 05:14 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

zuko1

zuko1

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 15-December 06
Thanks problemchild :) iv been running me for 3 months now using ieradicator & sp2 on p4 with 1.5 gig of ram and had no problems whatsoever. I disabled system restore & pc health too. Its great :)

leo

leo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-December 10

I think Oppcom is a better soultion than 98lite for WinME.

Hello PROBLEMCHYLD, could you please explain why you prefer Oppcom over 98lite.

Thanks

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Hello PROBLEMCHYLD, could you please explain why you prefer Oppcom over 98lite.

Thanks

It seems that users prefer to use Oppcom over 98lite. It was highly recommended over 98lite. I could actually use them both to test. Another thing 98 lite isn't free and Oppcom is.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Here is changes for beta 2. I will release it after U98SESP3.19 :} :o

Bug Fixes
Added MINIONW.TTF Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack
Added MONOTYPE.TTF Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack
Added SLEEP.EXE 5.0.1754.1 Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Users must disable System Restore!

Bug Fixes
Added MINIONW.TTF Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack
Added MONOTYPE.TTF Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack
Added SLEEP.EXE 5.0.1754.1 Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit

Unofficial Windows Millennium Edition Service Pack 3.0 Beta 2 You must add .EXE to the file when saving. :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

psycotrip

psycotrip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 15-April 13
could you update the link of the winme sp3 link above, it doesn't work with or without adding exe, thanks

leo

leo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-December 10
Hello, the other day I installed Windows ME using 98lite. I chose the chubby option in 98lite keeping the ME shell. My reason for using 98lite over Oppcom is the ability to remove options pre-installation which creates a smaller neater registry. Using the custom installation setting in Windows, I removed a lot of stuff including pchealth, media players, webm, IE, directx, agent, script, update, etc...

After installation finished I added back directx 9.0c but chose not to install internet explorer. I then proceeded to Win ME SP3 beta2. SP3 did not like this configuration. MAIN UPDATE acted like it installed properly but I found out later that many of the files did not update. Other options seem to have installed fine. USBSTACK.EXE was not in the windows/system directory. I searched through the service pack for usb support but could not find anything.

Edited by leo, 09 May 2013 - 05:36 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Hello, the other day I installed Windows ME using 98lite. I chose the chubby option in 98lite keeping the ME shell. My reason for using 98lite over Oppcom is the ability to remove options pre-installation which creates a smaller neater registry. Using the custom installation setting in Windows, I removed a lot of stuff including pchealth, media players, webm, IE, directx, agent, script, update, etc...

After installation finished I added back directx 9.0c but chose not to install internet explorer. I then proceeded to Win ME SP3 beta2. SP3 did not like this configuration. MAIN UPDATE did install properly. Many of the files did not update. Other options seem to have installed fine. USBSTACK.EXE was not in the windows/system directory. I searched through the service pack for usb support but could not find anything.

Since the users who don't use the SP was bitching about Win98 SP3.x, I decided not to continue with it. I didn't or don't want to go through it all over again with windows me. I was on the verge of getting banned and a good friend of mine, asked me to fallback. I still read a lot on the forum, but as far as being thoroughly active, I have taken my business elsewhere. You can thank the non-SP users for their crying :hello:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

Since the users who don't use the SP was bitching about Win98 SP3.x, I decided not to continue with it. I didn't or don't want to go through it all over again with windows me. I was on the verge of getting banned and a good friend of mine, asked me to fallback. I still read a lot on the forum, but as far as being thoroughly active, I have taken my business elsewhere. You can thank the non-SP users for their crying :hello:

I don't think you can blame the non-SP users. I don't use the SP, but I never said it was WRONG, just not my cup of tea. I only pointed out a few possible risks with your approach and some suggestions to make your users happier. The other non-SP users said very little as they had no reason to care. Most of the arguments you got into had to do with your implementation. These came from users or potential users of your SP.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I don't think you can blame the non-SP users. I don't use the SP, but I never said it was WRONG, just not my cup of tea. I only pointed out a few possible risks with your approach and some suggestions to make your users happier. The other non-SP users said very little as they had no reason to care. Most of the arguments you got into had to do with your implementation. These came from users or potential users of your SP.

I wasn't referring to you or others like you. You have tested the SP in the past years and have given constructive feedback.
You have not b***h about what was added and what was removed, what should be added and what should be deleted. You and many others don't complain. I have some of your freeware patches included, and even though you don't use it, you have help me fix many bugs. Thats a hell of a contribution :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

leo

leo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-December 10

This is very bad news for the 98 community. As keeper of the service packs your role here is large. Active members on a board like this make up only a small portion of the actual viewership and I assure you that this silent majority is all positive. I hope someone will come in and take over for the great work you have done but I doubt it. wherever you take your business, you will find all the same stereo types and nothing will change until you change. Peace

leo

leo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-December 10

I have also the Millenium SP2 Service Pack, the newer and buggy one. Shall I upload it? ;)

Would you be kind enough to upload sp2. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users