Accessing all the computers in Workgroup

gui_m

Hi guys. I'm connected to the university network and all the computers here are set up under the workgroup called 'Resnet'. From my friend's machine, if I go to see workgroup computers, I get a list of loads computers connected to the network. However, when I do the same on my machine, I get an error message.

After doing some research, I found that enabling the IPX/NetBIOS protocols would help. It did, but I still can't see ALL the machines, just a few of them. However, I'm still unable to connect to my friend's computer (using \\I.P. nº). I tried the ping command on cmd but it gave me nothing, all packets lost.

I'm running Windows XP SP2. I have disabled the Windows Firewall and Kaspersky service but it didn't help at all. TCP/IP is set using DHCP and I'm able to browse the internet and connect to a few computers.

Are there any solutions for this? Thanks :thumbup

Just tried to ping command on my friend's machine again, and it worked :) I also managed to connect to his machine :) However, I still can not see all the machines under my workgroup....

I still have problems with the network even at home when transferring files and so on. No firewalls no nothing. It works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt.

This is nothing unusual under windows, any version. I can access the network drives by mapping them using the usual "net use \\pc\drive" command. Perform all kinds of file transfers / backups. However the PCs under question will not show up in Network places nor can I create new places by browsing. Net view shows only the PCs that are also visible in my network places.

Edited by pmshah

also try pressing ctrl+windows key+F and then hit search.... probably give you the same list, but maybe the rest have good firewalls on or something?

I'm guessing they don't because i accessed them from my friend's PC... are there any windows services that are required for me to view all computers in my workplace?

In the first place you would not see a partial list of PCs on the network if the service had not started. So what is the reason for selective display only? The worst part is that there is no utility which will scan the network & rebuild your list. The funny thing is the PCs that I can access & map by name are not available or do not respond to the ping command nor do they show up in "My Network Places"

Edited by pmshah

Has anyone here considered that he may be on a different subnet than other PC's (in which case, he can only see machines on his subnet), or that netbios requests are not being routed past other network equipment on the network?

One test would be to see if you can ping the FQDN of a machine that you can't "see", but you know is there and is not firewalled.

Hi,

Maybe your Resnet is split over several subnets? NetBIOS is not a routable protocol, so you'll not be able to "see" the PCs in "My Network Places" outwith your own subnet.

Now, IP is routable, so you'll be able to connect, swap files etc.

Make sense now?

If you're receiving your network details via DHCP then that limits what you can do about this. As it happens I don't want to go any further because I'm not sure all those other people want you looking around their machines... ;)

Andy

EDIT: Just seen the post above. So this is old news...

Edited by Fencer128