98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

The Windows start menu changes to the default by design because people wanted the original icons/start banner. This is not a bug. You will need to check the box Windows Millennium Edition/Windows 2000 Theme for the updated icons, only after you have installed Main Updates. Do USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 work with your VIA chipset? Thank you very much for helping me get SP3.x stable :thumbup I think 3.10 will be for many users to come.

Aha, I did not know main updates revert the graphics, that is good to know ^^

I will see what file there is, I certainly have had no problems so far.

I don't think so. There sure is a usbhub.sys 5.00.2195.6689 (USB 1.x) but I don't think that version of usbhub20.sys was ever released.

I thought the version number didn't sound right, but USBHUB.SYS should be 4.90.3002 on a 98SE system with the current updates, unless some Win2K USB1 stack files have been added... :unsure:

EDIT:

I remember now, some discussion was made earlier about using the Win2K USB1.1 stack. Not a matter of universal agreement as I recall. :angel

It's usbhub.sys alright, not 2.0. Can't remember when and how it got installed - either through a NUSB update, or by my manual fiddling with driver files. It's been a while though since I let this system settle, as the other one decided to die on me (HDD developed 4000+ bad sectors) and I need it for my programming hobby. However, in the past I used to replace all kinds of system files from whatever OS was needed, when some newer application cried for missing APIs. My Windows folder is currently 1.72GB, complete with .NET 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0.

Very possibly I am wrong :unsure: , but checking WHY exactly a given new version was posted as hotfix might give some hints and possibly let us decide that after all a previous version would be preferrable (or not):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2009/11/13/list-of-the-latest-usb-hotfixes-for-each-windows-version.aspx

jaclaz

I have to report that, despite my best efforts, I've been utterly unable to elicit a BSOD from Usbhub20.sys v. 5.0.2195.5605. :yes:

Rest assured that the hub I used is not seen as a Composite Device, but simpliy as a "Generic USB Hub" (USB 2.0, High Speed) from Alcor Micro (VID=0x058F; PID=0x6254).

That's great :w00t: Now that we know its possible to use the Microsoft version with VIA devices, we should look into maybe patching the latest version instead of backtracking. If it is not possible to patch the latest version, I will downgrade the file, but continue to use the newer version on my own system. :yes:

I don't think so. There sure is a usbhub.sys 5.00.2195.6689 (USB 1.x) but I don't think that version of usbhub20.sys was ever released.

The SP installs version USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 :thumbup

Very possibly I am wrong :unsure: , but checking WHY exactly a given new version was posted as hotfix might give some hints and possibly let us decide that after all a previous version would be preferrable (or not):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2009/11/13/list-of-the-latest-usb-hotfixes-for-each-windows-version.aspx

jaclaz

Thanks, but all those hotfixes are already included in SP using the latest compatible files :lol: There are more Windows 2000 and XP (combined) in SP than there are Win98. Way to go MSFN. I even thought about changing the name to Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition Hybrid Pack becuase it has files from almost every operating system and yes, they WORK! Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Bear in mind that the issue with USBHUB20.SYS is *very* specific: it requires one to actually remove a USB 2.0 hub to manifest the BSOD, and then, if one hits <Enter> two or three times (IIRR), one does get back to the desktop and can restart all right, or even continue to work (although the OS is not necessarily safe to be used after recovering from a BSOD). The Win 9x/ME and 2k USB stack is peculiar, because it's bifurcated: even if the physical connectors/ports are the same (which they can perfectly be), the OS treats USB 1.x and USB 2.0 communications as two separate things (while Win XP and higher adopt a unified USB view). So one must have a hub, it must be a 2.0 hub and it must have actually been detected as a 2.0 hub on that particular insertion (sometimes USB 2.0 devices are not detected as 2.0, for some random reason). These three factors one can check using USBVIEW. At this point one inserts at least one USB 2.0 mass storage device, lets the system read it, then safely remove the device, letting the hub stay. The hub itself is not a mass storage device, so it cannot be stopped or ejected, before removal. So after letting the hub remain for at least 20 seconds after safe removal of the mass storage device, one may grab the hub and remove it. Then the BSOD happens. If, instead of removing just the mass storage device, then waiting, then removing the hub one removes the hub with the mass storage device still connected to it, the BSOD also happens. But if one never removes the hub, one'll never see the BSOD. Sorry, this description became long-winded, but I want to make it clear how to test for this BSOD. And, of course, if one doesn't have a VIA USB 2.0 controller, then there's nothing to test.

I experienced the BSOD too if I hooked my USB 2.0 hub and then removed it after I had used some flash sticks (that worked perfectly). I only needed one button press to get out of it and then refresh desktop as everything was black.

This happened on a VIA VT6212L USB 2.0 controller.

I experienced the BSOD too if I hooked my USB 2.0 hub and then removed it after I had used some flash sticks (that worked perfectly). I only needed one button press to get out of it and then refresh desktop as everything was black.

This happened on a VIA VT6212L USB 2.0 controller.

Thanks, can you try this version now? :hello:USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605

This is what we have so far

TmEE - VIA VT6212L

Drivers not working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605, USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

Drugwash - VIA VT6202

Drivers working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

dencorso - Generic USB Hub

Drivers working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605

Drivers not working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

I don't think its fair to downgrade the file to a lower version and deprive others of the newest and stable code, especially when they have not experience any problems. I also think its unfair to inconvenience users who are not able to benefit from the lastest version. That would mean everytime a new update is release, users with VIA chipsets will have to manually replace the file, which will become an annoyance. I'm hoping we can find a universal solution that suits everyone needs. As I said earlier and other may feel the same way, I prefer not to use VIA anything, if I don't have anything VIA related :huh:

On saturday SeaMonkey crashed with an error message relating to : ddeml.dll

I have version 4.10.1998 dated 5.5.1999 running in my Win98SE but there is a version from 2001 in my XP !

So far I did not had the time to test it but I thought I let you know because it seem to be not in your ServicePack, PC. Maybe with a good reason though .... :angel

Seem to cause BOSD ... dammit, Janet

Edited by MiKl

Before we all conclude that the VIA USB problem has been resolved, I may have a problem.

This is not yet definitive, proven or reproducible, I need to do a lot more work on it for reasons that will become obvious. I recently updated one of my Win98 boxes (the one with a VIA chipset for everything) using SP3.10 . I was interrupted in the course of the job, and am not certain that I did it correctly.

I then used the box without any difficulty until yesterday when I plugged in a USB stick for the first time. Immediate BSOD! Cleared with one click of the space bar, and continued to check the stick for contents, including opening a couple of files. Then I went to remove the stick using the remove media button in the tray. Another immediate BSOD that flickered on pressing the space bar, but looped back to the same location. Resolved by a power off.

I am pretty sure that I hadn't done something right earlier. Request: is there a consolidated list of all the files and version numbers that should be on a correctly updated box; files that have been installed by the updating process?

As soon as I find out what was the cause, I'll be right back to 'fess up, so that others can avoid the trap.

Jeff

Before we all conclude that the VIA USB problem has been resolved, I may have a problem.

This is not yet definitive, proven or reproducible, I need to do a lot more work on it for reasons that will become obvious. I recently updated one of my Win98 boxes (the one with a VIA chipset for everything) using SP3.10 . I was interrupted in the course of the job, and am not certain that I did it correctly.

I then used the box without any difficulty until yesterday when I plugged in a USB stick for the first time. Immediate BSOD! Cleared with one click of the space bar, and continued to check the stick for contents, including opening a couple of files. Then I went to remove the stick using the remove media button in the tray. Another immediate BSOD that flickered on pressing the space bar, but looped back to the same location. Resolved by a power off.

I am pretty sure that I hadn't done something right earlier. Request: is there a consolidated list of all the files and version numbers that should be on a correctly updated box; files that have been installed by the updating process?

As soon as I find out what was the cause, I'll be right back to 'fess up, so that others can avoid the trap.

Jeff

Thank you for testing. We are working on a universal solution right now. Thank you for your patience, You can use USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11 for the time being.

On saturday SeaMonkey crashed with an error message relating to : ddeml.dll

I have version 4.10.1998 dated 5.5.1999 running in my Win98SE but there is a version from 2001 in my XP !

So far I did not had the time to test it but I thought I let you know because it seem to be not in your ServicePack, PC. Maybe with a good reason though .... :angel

Seem to cause BOSD ... dammit, Janet

I really don't understand your post :} The SP doesn't install any DDEML.DLL versions. I'm really not sure what your problem is :(

Here's what SP 3.12 will have so far :w00t:

Added MANGAL.TTF Microsoft VOLT 1.2
Added TEMPSITC.TTF Plus!98 CD
Added Original start up and shut down logos with [Second Edition]

Hey PROBLEMCHYLD,

As requested, here is the modified LOGO.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?crm8gkq04ylr8ab

or

http://www.mediafire.com/?m5r46960u2fd39h

Cheers and Regards

Nice job with these logos. :thumbup

(I assume there is a Startup one as well as the Shut Down one?)

I have tried and tried to create similar ones myself, but I never could seem to get the right Font, letter height/spacing, etc etc.

Are you accepting other logo requests by any chance? :angel