98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

If you'll send me a link to the file you want to modify, from MS to Unofficial, I'll see what I can do. I think I have the tools to remove the existing text and the necessary fonts to replace it if I can figure out the font size to use, at least to be "good enough".

Cheers and Regards

Well, here's an attempt. I'm not completely happy with it, but maybe someone else can provide some assistance.

In the folder UNART are three files:

ARTWORK1.GIF - "Microsoft" is removed

ARTWORK2.GIF - "Unofficial" is put in its place

ARTWORK.AVI - AVI made from ARTWORK2.GIF

Procedure:

1) Loaded the 3.0 AVI file, (see post from PROBLEMCHYLD above) in VirtualDub 1.9, and saved it as an animated GIF file.

2) Loaded the GIF file in GIMP Portable 2.8.0, removed "Microsoft", and saved it as ARTWORK1.GIF.

3) Loaded ARTWORK1.GIF in Irfanview 4.33, added "Unofficial" using the Font Arial Narrow Bold Size 14, and saved it as ARTWORK2.GIF. -- I had to use Irfanview because Gimp didn't have access to Arial Narrow Bold even though it was a recognized installed system file, but Irfanview did..

4) Loaded ARTWORK2.GIF in VirtualDub 1.9, and saved it as ARTWORK.AVI.

The "Unofficial" text is about the right size and letter spacing, but if you enlarge the image enough you will see the letters are too angular and not smooth and rounded like the other text in the image. If anyone can recommend a better text to use I can give it another try, or they try it them selves using ARTWORK1.GIF as a source.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ecm5nvqy0hm3d0

Cheers and Regards

I have to report that, despite my best efforts, I've been utterly unable to elicit a BSOD from Usbhub20.sys v. 5.0.2195.5605. :yes:

Rest assured that the hub I used is not seen as a Composite Device, but simpliy as a "Generic USB Hub" (USB 2.0, High Speed) from Alcor Micro (VID=0x058F; PID=0x6254).

This is what we have so far

TmEE - VIA VT6212L

Drivers not working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605, USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

Drugwash - VIA VT6202

Drivers working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

dencorso - Generic USB Hub

Drivers working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605

Drivers not working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

It's more complicated than that... USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 now works for me, too. :wacko:

The only thing I can say for sure that changed between the time when it gave me the BSODs and now is that now I use RLoew's WDMEX.VxD, instead of WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6... :unsure:

And I get the analog results using yet another "Generic USB Hub" (USB 2.0, High Speed) from Genesys Logic (VID=0x05E3; PID=0x0608).

I'll also test USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 soon, but I bet it'll work, too... Question is, why are them working now? dubbio.gif

Also BTW, my machine's motherboard uses a VT8237 southbridge (part of which is a VT6212 USB controller).

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Here's a LOGO set for users who also have the 98 Plus! package installed. This way they can have the "Second Edition" text and not lose the "Plus!" text.

Courtesy of bphlpt & myself.

You can add it if you wish, or if not it can remain linked here for anyone who wants to add it manually.

98PLUSSE.ZIP - 86.9 Kb

Edited by LoneCrusader

Well, here's an attempt. I'm not completely happy with it, but maybe someone else can provide some assistance.

In the folder UNART are three files:

ARTWORK1.GIF - "Microsoft" is removed

ARTWORK2.GIF - "Unofficial" is put in its place

ARTWORK.AVI - AVI made from ARTWORK2.GIF

Procedure:

1) Loaded the 3.0 AVI file, (see post from PROBLEMCHYLD above) in VirtualDub 1.9, and saved it as an animated GIF file.

2) Loaded the GIF file in GIMP Portable 2.8.0, removed "Microsoft", and saved it as ARTWORK1.GIF.

3) Loaded ARTWORK1.GIF in Irfanview 4.33, added "Unofficial" using the Font Arial Narrow Bold Size 14, and saved it as ARTWORK2.GIF. -- I had to use Irfanview because Gimp didn't have access to Arial Narrow Bold even though it was a recognized installed system file, but Irfanview did..

4) Loaded ARTWORK2.GIF in VirtualDub 1.9, and saved it as ARTWORK.AVI.

The "Unofficial" text is about the right size and letter spacing, but if you enlarge the image enough you will see the letters are too angular and not smooth and rounded like the other text in the image. If anyone can recommend a better text to use I can give it another try, or they try it them selves using ARTWORK1.GIF as a source.

Cheers and Regards

Don't worry, I do prefer the smooth font. You did great and I appreciate it with the utmost :thumbup

It's more complicated than that... USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 now works for me, too.

The only thing I can say for sure that changed between the time when it gave me the BSODs and now is that now I use RLoew's WDMEX.VxD, instead of WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6... :unsure:

And I get the analog results using yet another "Generic USB Hub" (USB 2.0, High Speed) from Genesys Logic (VID=0x05E3; PID=0x0608).

I'll also test USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 soon, but I bet it'll work, too... Question is, why are them working now? dubbio.gif

Also BTW, my machine's motherboard uses a VT8237 southbridge (part of which is a VT6212 USB controller).

Music to my ears :lol: If you are to find that WDMSTUB.SYS might be the culprit, then maybe one can patch it. Here's is the crazy thing, USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 works without WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6 :o

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Here's a LOGO set for users who also have the 98 Plus! package installed. This way they can have the "Second Edition" text and not lose the "Plus!" text.

Courtesy of bphlpt & myself.

You can add it if you wish, or if not it can remain linked here for anyone who wants to add it manually.

98PLUSSE.ZIP - 86.9 Kb

Thank you LC :hello: I'm hoping one of my dear friends [Drugwash] maybe be able to create an updated optional installer so we can have sub-options :yes:

I'm assuming it's possible-- can someone direct me to info about getting LAN icon to work in win98se?

If you are talking about the double network icon, thats Universal Plug N Play. Its optional in the Service Pack, but if you don't have UPNP devices Don't install it because it won't do you any good :} Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

May be nitpicking, but still, 'Windows 98' is Microsoft's product, so I don't think we should replace 'Microsoft' with 'Unofficial'. The approach below is not ideal but to me it sounds a bit better.

The ideal approach would be:

Unofficial Service Pack 3

for

Microsoft Windows98

Second Edition

and the Plus! logo might get its rightful place in there somewhere too.

ARTWORK1MS-full8b.gif

One question is bothering me: why use an AVI - which is 128 kB and only has one frame, so it's utterly useless in this format - when a 8bpp BMP would be 40kB and acceptable by the Windows API? The installer should be modified to display a BMP, IMHO. However, I could not find the above AVI in the SP3 installer, so there may be a catch I'm not aware of. Anyone care to fill me in (no hurry, though)?

EDIT:

This connection is killing me! :(

That installer would have to wait for a while, otherwise I have no idea how to handle all the open projects I'm working on. Right now I'm trying hard to build that NE editor I promised. It's harder than I thought and is gonna take a lot more time toget to a usable version.

After that, I may think of an installer. I can (theoretically) get rid of ResHacker, Touch and maybe other third-party tools and do everything from the installer, but this has to be thought of carefully. As I said so many times, I'm slow and lots of real-life issues draw me back. There's will so there must be a way, it's just that there's not much time left ahead. :(

I like the Microsoft font style you used, it nice and clearer :thumbup I'm not a big fan of the Service Pack font :no: I do like the original better. BTW, the AVI was in the very first 3.0. I had to remove it when I released 3.1. I'm sorry Drugwash, but that purple does not look good with the original colors. :} I know thats your favorite color but.......I also agree we can probably leave the Microsoft in but find a way to add Unofficial.

No worries, that was just a proof of concept. It wouls still be best to outline the 'unofficial' bit, just in case someone would take it for granted and then run into - knock on wood! -troubles. Say a color and I'll use it.

The font I used for 'Service Pack' is FreeSans, 12, BoldOblique and - whaddaya know? - it's the same I used for 'Microsoft', just that it's italicized, exactly as it is in the original file. Compare the two, see the differences are minor. ;)

I'll see if I can find a 3.0 version of the SP somewhere, to look at the installer.

Also, for the future, please put together a list of options and suboptions for the new installer that may (or may not) come to life. I'll also need the direct dependencies from one-another and the amount of RAM required by each of them (or only by the most memory-hungry), so I could add checks and warnings as appropriate.

No worries, that was just a proof of concept. It wouls still be best to outline the 'unofficial' bit, just in case someone would take it for granted and then run into - knock on wood! -troubles. Say a color and I'll use it.

The font I used for 'Service Pack' is FreeSans, 12, BoldOblique and - whaddaya know? - it's the same I used for 'Microsoft', just that it's italicized, exactly as it is in the original file. Compare the two, see the differences are minor. ;)

I'll see if I can find a 3.0 version of the SP somewhere, to look at the installer.

Also, for the future, please put together a list of options and suboptions for the new installer that may (or may not) come to life. I'll also need the direct dependencies from one-another and the amount of RAM required by each of them (or only by the most memory-hungry), so I could add checks and warnings as appropriate.

Try Unofficial on the same line as Microsoft. Lets see how that look. Black fonts are cool, you really can't go wrong with that. I will get you that list sometime in the future. Thanks

From talking to LC earlier, he mentioned that he thought he remembered someone said that there were some incompatibilities/conflicts between SP3 and the Plus! pack. Can anyone confirm or refute that? If there are problems, what needs to be fixed in order to be able to use both? As I said to him, I would think that the combination of the Microsoft Plus! Pack along with SP3 and 98SE2ME from MDGx would make the "Ultimate " version of 98. No? I guess to go "further" would require adding files from RLowe and maybe even the KernelEx api compatibility layer, but I was thinking about the "basic" Ultimate version. :) [And no, I am not trying to start any kind of flame war with folks who think that the best version of 98 is a stripped and minimalized version. I agree that there are circumstances where that is absolutely the best approach.]

Cheers and Regards