98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

From talking to LC earlier, he mentioned that he thought he remembered someone said that there were some incompatibilities/conflicts between SP3 and the Plus! pack. Can anyone confirm or refute that? If there are problems, what needs to be fixed in order to be able to use both? As I said to him, I would think that the combination of the Microsoft Plus! Pack along with SP3 and 98SE2ME from MDGx would make the "Ultimate " version of 98. No? I guess to go "further" would require adding files from RLowe and maybe even the KernelEx api compatibility layer, but I was thinking about the "basic" Ultimate version. :) [And no, I am not trying to start any kind of flame war with folks who think that the best version of 98 is a stripped and minimalized version. I agree that there are circumstances where that is absolutely the best approach.]

Cheers and Regards

There are no conflicts with SP3 and Plus!98

I installed 3.9 and I noticed that after I installed Microsoft PLUS! for Windows 98 (After I finished the last step in the read me) some system programs got there file extensions changed. Such as Theme.exe, tuneup.exe and Theme.cpl got changed to Themeexe.W98, tuneupexe.W98 and themecpl.W98 Also the start up Logo.sys and the Logow.sys files were renamed to Logo.W98 and Logow.W98 Respectively. Needless to say this broke all of the shortcuts to those files and reverted the boot up screen to the original Windows 98 one. After renaming all the .W98 files to there original extensions files they worked fine. These are the only files that could be found with a .W98 extension.

Thank you for this, it really has helped all of my Windows 98 machines with there overall stability.

What registry keys need to be chanced to give shortcuts their arrow back ? (or make them different colored or something, to make them different)

Can the open dialog box fields' size be saved, or the open box default size be enlarged ? The default sizes obscure most of the filename, which in one reason I prefer non-detail view as it always shows full file name (and several columns so more files are seen at once).

I will also touch up the start menu graphics so it would look a bit smoother. Question is what is the font used ? The original GFX is quite "damaged" and touching them up can look quite a bit different from what it should be...

One other thing I noticed after installing SP is that in IfranView had all the text in Bold in the conf menus. Installing the 100+ fonts option fixed that.

The rest has been very solid so far.

I'll report all oddities when I encounter any. I just reinstalled my main machine and right now I am in the process of installing my essential pieces of software.

Edited by TmEE

What registry keys need to be chanced to give shortcuts their arrow back ? (or make them different colored or something, to make them different)

You will have to replace SHELL32.DLL blank icons with the shortcut arrows. I posted this and let people know this is optional but it installs with the Windows 2000 icons/theme option. I wasn't going to make a separate options for icon arrows. Remember guys, this pack can be stable on most systems but will not suit everyone needs. Another alternative would be to patch Tweak UI 1.33 so we don't have this problem. There is no cake and ice cream, but cake or ice cream. If Microsoft couldn't give it to us, then I can't either :} Our member Drugwash said. if time allows it, he might be able to give us an installer with the sub-options.

Until then, we have to be patient.

I will also touch up the start menu graphics so it would look a bit smoother. Question is what is the font used ? The original GFX is quite "damaged" and touching them up can look quite a bit different from what it should be...
Thank you :yes: I'm not sure because another member did the artwork :}

What do you guys think about this artwork? I think the red and white Unofficial looks awesome. Thank Drugwash :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

The arrow only serves something to differentiate shortcut from a program. When I have some installers on desktop and then install them I can get same kind of icons with name name... nom figure out which is right without looking at propertios.

But this is not too much of concern, Revolutions Pack fixes that.

As for start menu art, I'll take some liberties then :P

The arrow only serves something to differentiate shortcut from a program. When I have some installers on desktop and then install them I can get same kind of icons with name name... nom figure out which is right without looking at propertios.

But this is not too much of concern, Revolutions Pack fixes that.

As for start menu art, I'll take some liberties then :P

I'm looking forward to the new start banner. Thanks :w00t:

Hi Problemchyld!

I've been an SP3 user for a few months, and I must say that I'm incredibly grateful for your hard work. SP3 has not only made my system faster, but also much, much more stable. Adding to that, I'm no longer dependent on Microsoft keeping W98 updates on their website. You've really helped making Win9x computing much more enjoyable. Thank you!

Sadly I cannot contribute much in terms of testing since I mainly use Windows 98 for gaming, though I can contribute with some artwork. Here's some start menu banners I made:

SbRIj.pngqjGEH.png

Contrary to what you may think at first, they are actually 16-color images, though they use an adaptive palette. And yes, they work - even in safe mode (though they do look a little crap with the standard 16-color palette).

Here's a .zip containing the bitmaps: http://www.mediafire...vx77rvq1w3d3d7d

If you have any suggestions or requests, please tell me about it.

Hi Problemchyld!

I've been an SP3 user for a few months, and I must say that I'm incredibly grateful for your hard work. SP3 has not only made my system faster, but also much, much more stable. Adding to that, I'm no longer dependent on Microsoft keeping W98 updates on their website. You've really helped making Win9x computing much more enjoyable. Thank you!

Sadly I cannot contribute much in terms of testing since I mainly use Windows 98 for gaming, though I can contribute with some artwork. Here's some start menu banners I made:

SbRIj.pngqjGEH.png

Contrary to what you may think at first, they are actually 16-color images, though they use an adaptive palette. And yes, they work - even in safe mode (though they do look a little crap with the standard 16-color palette).

Here's a .zip containing the bitmaps: http://www.mediafire...vx77rvq1w3d3d7d

If you have any suggestions or requests, please tell me about it.

Thank You. I love that blue color. If you guys can just play around with different font styles, that would be great.

I was wondering if you guys had some free time, can someone make me a personal start banner with PROBLEMCHYLD in red with white outline around the letters with the same or close to the blue background that Svenne start banner has. @ TmEE, it doesn't matter if you use MS Paint or not, as long as it look good. I was hoping you do some graffiti type banners if you had the time since you are working from scratch. Thanks to all of you guys. I have been celebrating my daughter 2nd birthday and been busy over the weekend. D@mn kids are expensive :thumbup She had a great time and so will you guys when I release 3.12.

Oh, Happy belated Birthday to your little kiddo! :thumbup

Bad thing is, I am "celebrating" this year's "winter holiday toothache", which happens to me every darn year, so I may not be able to do much, if anything, until/if I get rid of it. But we do have talented members here, you may get your X-Mas present from someone anyway. :lol:

Meanwhile, I can offer a small handy tool that can quickly change display resolution for those whose videocard driver does not offer hotkeys (or they have that feature disabled). It's great for testing how their artwork looks like in 16/256 colors (4-8bpp) versus 32bpp.

Download QuickSwitcher.

Please note it uses a few global hotkeys that may interfere with other applications, so do use it only when needed. The 'About' tray menu show what the hotkeys are. And for those with multiple videocards/displays, please note there may be a confusion between display outputs - will try to fix this when possible.