98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Yes, the issue is very complex and often requires deep hardware and software knowledge in order to fix it. I've had a lot of troubles in the past with motherboard resources being distributed idfferently from board to board, which made it a challenge plugging in and installing drivers for video cards, sound cards, modems and whatnot.

A big problem is that nowadays' BIOS manufacturers removed all possible fine tweaks, leaving the BIOS as a useless picture (mostly in laptops/notebooks but desktop boards too), not a control panel that can (and sometimes has to) be altered. For that reason, most people with recent motherboards/BIOS versions will find it impossible to modify motherboard resources as to properly fit them to older OS versions such as 98/ME.

As a result, some people will never be able to fix their installation, regardless of all the advices, tweaks and patches we might put out here. There will be nothing left to do, other than replace motherboard/videocard/soundcard/etc, if and when possible, and even then, the results may be uncertain.

Therefore, we do our best but occasionally we may fail. Regretfully, there is nothing we can do, in such cases.

I'm wondering how good a performance one can get on modern hardware running Win98 in a VM in a stripped down 2000/XP/Linux host? If passable, I guess this could be a solution for modern equipment.. Anyone have experience with this, and if so, have a recommendation for which VM offers the best performance and hardware compatibility? Just curious.

Cheers and Regards

I'm wondering how good a performance one can get on modern hardware running Win98 in a VM in a stripped down 2000/XP/Linux host? If passable, I guess this could be a solution for modern equipment.. Anyone have experience with this, and if so, have a recommendation for which VM offers the best performance and hardware compatibility? Just curious.

Cheers and Regards

I've been wondering the same thing for some time now. Perhaps even a VM directly on one of these new super-BIOS'es. Basic hardware would finally become standard; I/O could happen in the background on extra cores; etc.

I suggest opening a new Topic because it's only a matter a time before this becomes a major issue!

I just want to report that on the laptop I get some BSODs as soon as I plug in any USB device, upon continuing the laptop freezes.

Windows boots to desktop every time. Bit of an improvement compared to last time, when it was impossible to see desktop.

The rest however has worked flawlessly !

I just want to report that on the laptop I get some BSODs as soon as I plug in any USB device, upon continuing the laptop freezes.

Windows boots to desktop every time. Bit of an improvement compared to last time, when it was impossible to see desktop.

The rest however has worked flawlessly !

Replace only the USBHUB20.SYS with this version and then remove all USB drivers in safemode. http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VIA_USB2_V270p1-L-M.zip Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

That made it work ! Seems the VIA file works for ATI SB400 USB

Thank you very much TmEE for testing. This is the problem me and others have been trying to fix. Now you can use all of the updated USB files in SP3 without problems. In the meantime, always remember to install the USB package from SP3, after that replace the USBHUB20.SYS with the VIA version while already in safe mode. It will make things a lot easier. Everything should load up just fine.

I just want to say after I installed SP3 I couldn't access the server( it's XP or later not sure) .My password was changed or deleted all together- not sure. I log on as "administrator" so I can access the server. All I had to do was delete the account and reenter it with the password.

I just want to say after I installed SP3 I couldn't access the server( it's XP or later not sure) .My password was changed or deleted all together- not sure. I log on as "administrator" so I can access the server. All I had to do was delete the account and reenter it with the password.

SP3 does NOT change or edit any type of users profile. Its a glitch on your end. :}

Hey,

I know "don't mix em",

but did someone actually try to just install this pack ontop of eg. the AutoPatcher?? And what happend??

I mean if it's not working I'd have to reinstall windows anyways...

And in relation to that, can anyone recommend a good free (hdd-, OS- or whatever)-backup-software for this old OS?!?

And one more: Could this help me with the "GIMP-bug", I just posted? I mean is there the potential...actually it was already working without this pack in the past, but anyways..

PS.:

If I'm not completely wrong, this pack is as good as complete now!? So what's about adding some diagnostics-software, or other system-software to it? Personally I don't have problems with 3rd-party stuff, but even the ms-related things are not bad.. like eg. the Process-Explorer.

I will add Microsoft only tools. I have WDMSTUB.SYS, a few USB drivers and Adapec Aspi 4.7 drivers added and thats about it. Other tools are included in the SP but are only used for tasks. Everyone prefers their own specific software tools. I'm not the one to make their decisions, is why I use MS tools/files only. If they don't like it, then they probably shouldn't use SP3. More than 90% of SP is optional.

I will release 3.16 sometime soon. Right now, I'm fine tuning SP and so far I have two updated files.

NTMAPHLP.PDR 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD

TRIEDIT.DLL 6.1.0.9235 Windows 2000 SP4

I also had Microsoft L2TP/IPSec VPN Client 1.0 added but it hangs during installation so I removed it. It uses InstallShield and I used it with silent command and it still hangs ;)

Anyone that has been having sluggish, slow, system incompatibilities, BSODs, crashes, lockups etc... due to the newer files [NT/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7], please post here :whistle::huh::D . In the meantime, I'll continue adding the latest/newest compatible files because my system rocks with them and I'm sure yours do toooooooo. Enjoy the SP :w00t: