98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I understand nothing about it.

What does TESTING it with THE SP exactly means?

And if you encounter problems, as you claim, why don't you tell us exactly what those problems are?

It means on a clean install, something most people don't do. It means only stock apps, because everyone doesn't use the same software regardless if it made by the same company.

What are exactly the problems between KernelEx and the SP? Are you going to finally answer it or do you plan to endlessly carry on delivering this kind of senseless non-answers?

I gave you a list of software you can test, its up to you where is goes from this point on. You telling me I can't prove something, but you have yet to prove me wrong. SMDH :no:

AFAIK all those programs run fine with the latest version of KernelEx.

Edited by loblo

AFAIK all those programs run fine with the latest version of KernelEx.

You are exactly right, because you have all of those apps installed on your computer, plus the same codecs and plugin. You even got 98lite too right. How would you know if you use Windows ME. You have just made my day. Thank you :thumbup I rest my case. :w00t:

Thank you :thumbup I rest my case. :w00t:

What case? :angel

Enough of that insanity for me anyway. :puke:

The case you haven't prove otherwise :w00t:

You are a Win ME user. You are not going to reproduce the same bugs as Win98 users. With 98lite, 98SE2ME SP3 and all the software I have on my system installed etc.... I said KEX breaks my software not my operating system. Get in tune. I will say it again, I will not install it on my main system. You are not going to take the time to fix the damages on my system. Like I said, if it ever becomes stable, I might give it a test run on my main system. until then I rest my case because you haven't proved otherwise, that KEX runs with ALL of the apps I posted. I had nothing else better to do, other than picked some random software I used and said KEX was the problem. You really are naive. If thats the case then, I need a life. And back then there wasn't a SP with NT files so that is not the case. Thank you very much (Elvis) voice.

Guys, you're funny. :lol: If you all stop making assumptions and just go with facts and explanations where necessary, there wouldn't be so much wasted web space. :whistle: But on the bright side, this discussion got me relaxed, because I got so aggravated today when the guy next door put my aunt's stuff into the washing machine at 70°C regardless of the colors.:realmad:

Recap:

• PROBLEMCHYLD does not actively USE KernelEx on his main machine(s) but does and has done regular TESTS with various versions.

• PROBLEMCHYLD has always reported bugs directly to Xeno86 in private, therefore all other members here had no idea about this.

• Some people may use certain software without others knowing. Speak loud and clear, ask and you shall receive an answer.

• Incompatibilities have been, are and most likely will always be between KernelEx and apps running on a vanilla Windows 9x. Disable it for affected modules and that's it.

• Incompatibilities have been, are and most likely will always be between KernelEx and apps running with uSP, because there is no such thing as a perfect setup. Report it, work around it, live with it until it's fixed (if possible).

• People like Xeno86, Tihiy and others have worked hard for KernelEx. So did Gape, PROBLEMCHYLD and others for uSP. Let us respect each-other's efforts and work together, instead of tossing the dead cat from one's yard to another's.

Now I'll go get myself a beer. Be good, guys - we're all in the same boat!B)

some typos, as usual...

Edited by Drugwash

Guys, you're funny. :lol: If you all stop making assumptions and just go with facts and explanations where necessary, there wouldn't be so much wasted web space. :whistle: But on the bright side, this discussion got me relaxed, because I got so aggravated today when the guy next door put my aunt's stuff into the washing machine at 70°C regardless of the colors.:realmad:

Recap:

• PROBLEMCHYLD does not actively USE KernelEx on his main machine(s) but does and has done regular TESTS with various versions.

• PROBLEMCHYLD has always reported bugs directly to Xeno86 in private, therefore all other members here had no idea about this.

• Some people may use certain software without others knowing. Speak loud and clear, ask and you shall receive an answer.

• Incompatibilities have been, are and most likely will always be between KernelEx and apps running on a vanilla Windows 9x. Disable it for affected modules and that's it.

• Incompatibilities have been, are and most likely will always be between KernelEx and apps running with uSP, because there is no such thing as a perfect setup. Report it, work around it, live with it until it's fixed (if possible).

• People like Xeno86, Tihiy and others have worked hard for KernelEx. So did Gape, PROBLEMCHYLD and others for uSP. Let us respect each-other's efforts and work together, instead of tossing the dead cat from one's yard to another's.

Now I'll go get myself a beer. Be good, guys - we're all in the same boat!B)

some typos, as usual...

Thanks you peacemaker. This all started with me and LoneCrusader about NT files being included in the SP. Then Leyok took LC side and said he feel the same say and thats fine. Then loblo starting asking what problems I have, and I told him, I don't have any problems because I don't use it. You have members who will PM or whatever. Am I suppose to post our PM because someone doesn't believe. This was funny though. I kept it together this time. I told loblo I haven't used it since way before Xeno left. I guess I was suppose to document this bug. Who's to say I didn't share my software with Xeno so he can try and reproduce the bug. I'm not saying I did, I'm just saying. Everything that goes on behind close doors is not for everyone eyes and ears. I'm not even sure what year, but like I said, if I come across it again I'll post it.

I said KEX breaks my software not my operating system. Get in tune.

Stop saying KernelEx breaks your software when you have no clue whether it actually does or not. You have never installed the latest or any recent version on your system so you cannot make such a statement in the present tense as you constantly do.

SP3.X works better without KEX :w00t:

This is the other statement you constantly make, only arguing that you have done repeated testing on a fresh install. This is unacceptable since you've now repeatedly dodged all queries for specific details so stop doing it too as it appears to be completely baseless.

And just between you and me, this is not about "point scoring" (which sadly seems to be your primary concern in this discussion).

Once again, you won't leave well enough alone. I have a MAIN F***ING SYSTEM that pay my bills, that takes care of my daughter and family. I am not going to jeopardize it because you think KernelEX is flawless. You claim to have the same software which you don't, the same operating system which you don't, but you have yet to prove anything. I gave you the software to reproduce the bugs. But since you don't have the software or want the same software I use, you won't reproduce the bugs because you don't want to. I posted 5 software versions, you only posted 1 and the one you posted is not even the same version as mine. How stupid of you. So we are not in the same boat. I have never said KEX was BAD, you can't find one post that says, I ever said anything BAD about KernelEx. I never told users it was buggy, it causes system crashes etc..... I said it BROKE my PAID software. When will you learn that KEX is not everything, and I have test ed KEX on other systems, just not MY MAIN one. And for the record, anyone will tell you its best to test on a clean install, because its easier to narrow down bugs. I don't have countless of hours to burn because I make money. What about you? You must be broke and bitter. I can see it.

Once again, another victim I have slayed :w00t: You want me to go the extra mile and put in the time, but you are not willing to do the same.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hey mods, if you have some free time, some users need help searching for posts where I disrespected or bad mouth KEX. They are having a little trouble because such posts don't exist. We all know that every Unofficial pack has flaws even SP3, but I'll be **** if any users say SP is the cause for their pack not working correctly. I have been working on SP almost 2 years, and yes it has had it s share of bugs and all known bugs has been fixed, thanks to you guys.

The truth will hurt and destroy a man's pride. :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. Big thanks to everyone involved in creating Win98 Unofficial Service Pack, I've been using it on a couple of my old PCs that I put up to play old games.

I ran into some issues with it though and perhaps you could help me learn more about them.

I did a thing that I was specifically advised not to do during the installation, that is proceed with it while being in Safe Mode. I got a pop-up that said that running text mode window in safe mode can corrupt my video card.

I disregarded it and indeed that is exactly what had happened. The installation continued fine but upon reset I found out that GUI won't start if I have a few things loaded in my autoexec.bat and config.sys

and I also got errors and drops to CLI out of a few of dos games. However win2k install that I have on the same machine runs fine, games included. All is fine if I put other video card in.

Anyway, can someone in the know please elaborate on what exactly happened and why, and what part on my video card god fried and If I should expect any other problems with it beside these that I already encountered

(that is - i wonder If I would be able to use it without problems in Windows mode or should I rather replace it.

Edited by ilpalazzo

Welcome to the forum!

:hello:

Firstly, you haven't "fried" your video card.

If it works OK under Windows 2000 the hardware must still be OK.

You may well have corrupted the Windows 98 drivers though.

Have you tried removing it in Device Manager and just rebooting and letting it reinstall itself?

If that doesn't work, and assuming you have the driver disk for the card, or can download it, try removing it and cleaning the driver completely off the machine in Safe Mode.

Remove the driver in the Add/Remove Programs list if it's there.

If it's an ATI card or a nVidia card, you can use Driver Cleaner Pro to completely clean the system of all references to the driver.

Then do a fresh install from the disks.

Don't ignore warning messages in future, they're there for a reason!

Hope this helps.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

I am not having any problems under Windows (any version). Issues I have are under DOS mode in windows (F8 boot and then command prompt only option). I get choppy, jerky motion in games (I checked System Shock and Magic Carpet, both are protected mode). During the "chop" the sound is distorted as well so it's like the whole machine is stuttering. This is happening on my Geforce 4 that I installed SP on. If I switch video card to another (I tried GF2 and Radeon 9200) everything is fluid. I don't boot to GUI at all between changes.

EDIT:

Well there's the possibility that something else is to blame or that the card was faulty already. I have not booted this machine to win98/dos for a long time as I have another for dos games. This one is Tualatin 1.4 and I use it for windows stuff that doesn't like multi core CPUs. That's why I havent cut my wrists yet ;)

Anyway I would really like to hear from the author of that pop-up warning that said that running text windows in Safe Mode can corrupt video card. I would have never believed such a thing and that's why I pressed "continue" without hesitation. I would like to learn something from this event.

Second Edit:

Allright, I put this card in another box (Duron 800, via KT133A) and everything seem to be working fine. Maybe it's a conflict with sound card or something similar. Will investigate further.

Edited by ilpalazzo

What you're experiencing may be an IRQ/DMA sharing conflict. Different video/sound/USB/etc cards use different settings and it's possible that in DOS mode, some of the shared resources create conflicts.

You may enter the BIOS if you're confident enough - better note down all settings fo future restoration if anything goes wrong - and try to enable manual assignment of IRQs and DMA channels, then change them around, especially those pertaining to videocard and/or soundcard.

If soundcard and/or others are PCI add-ons, you may also swap cards in the PCI slots, because each slot has its own IRQ and DMA and this operation may resolve the conflict (but may as well create another, so be careful).

Please note that any such change in the BIOS will be followed by Windows having to redetect devices and in some case ask for the driver, even though it was already installed, so be prepared with the drivers as install kits or already unpacked if zipped.

If for some reason Windows malfunctions, put back the cards as they were initially and restore the BIOS settings.

Remember: you're doing all this on your own risk. ;) Good luck!