98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Is Gape been on vacation or what? Does anyone know if he will have a new pack.

maybe he is on vacation. I just hope nothing bad happens to him. maybe it's time I started a new topic similar to the "Where is Gurgelmeyer" thread in the Win2k Hotstream forum. It has been almost eight months since 98se SP 2.1a was posted.

Is Gape been on vacation or what? Does anyone know if he will have a new pack.

maybe he is on vacation. I just hope nothing bad happens to him. maybe it's time I started a new topic similar to the "Where is Gurgelmeyer" thread in the Win2k Hotstream forum. It has been almost eight months since 98se SP 2.1a was posted.

Gape was Last Active Yesterday, 11:03 AM

I think he is busy right now. However the project is documented very well thanks also to other members. It shouldn't be too hard to start working on a update.

nicke85 is right. There has been no Service Pack for seven months.

Microsoft has published patchs for Windows 98 (which not concern IE6, DirectX, WMP 9 or MDAC 2.8 but rather the OS) since the 28th november.

Why there is no new SP ?

Are you waiting the end of the support (on the 11th july) ?

I hope that the problem "windows 2000 theme" - that I've already mentionned - are resolved.

When will the next SP be published ?

Big Monstro, maybe you should help us in creating a beta version of the next release of Gape's 98se service pack if you are so f*ckin impatient. Me and the other members of this forum would like to hear from you if you are interested.

Edited by erpdude8

Gape was Last Active Yesterday, 11:03 AM

I think he is busy right now. However the project is documented very well thanks also to other members. It shouldn't be too hard to start working on a update.

erpdude8,

Do you have an English version to this page?

Quote from your post #243 above:

"Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 2.0.3 NL

The best your OS can get. More fixes, less trouble. Go check it out!"

I have enough trouble reading and understanding my own language without having to go through some translator dictionary. I have been using the UnOffical Win98SE SP 2.1 until I found the 2.1a and now have that one since about April of this year. Being only a USER of any system and not really into doing any digging into any of the programming or troubleshooting problems, except my own and those that I cause. I do like this idea of someone putting out a SP for Win98SE and have attempted to promote it to anyother user of Win98SE without SPAMMING them.

NL is the Dutch Version of Unofficial Windows 98Se Service Pack.

I have not completed a 2.1a updated package yet. It's not all that fun to create Service Packs for an OS you don't use anymore for daily use.

However I'm currently processing and documenting all Dutch updates for use in a updated version of the Windows 98SE Service Pack.

Edited by hp38guser

hp38guser,

Edited by NativeTexan:

"Excuse me for getting the incorrect name on my previous post, thank you for reading even though it was addressing another. Was just in too large a hurry to post and overlooked which one I was addressing."

I had understood that from the link addy for the download. Plus the wording on your webpage gave me another hint. Not a problem just was wondering. Now I will just await the next release so I can take advantage of your great work as well as the other contributors as listed in the LAgreement you have to accept.

Being Retired and on a fixed income with approx. $25,000 USD medical bills to pay off it may take me some time to be able to support you and the others financially but it will happen, I hope within your life time as well. A little stretch of the truth but willing when thingys get a little easier to survive.

Thank you for that repy and reading my posts,

Edited by NativeTexan

NL is the Dutch Version of Unofficial Windows 98Se Service Pack.

I have not completed a 2.1a updated package yet. It's not all that fun to create Service Packs for an OS you don't use anymore for daily use.

However I'm currently processing and documenting all Dutch updates for use in a updated version of the Windows 98SE Service Pack.

I will be using Windows 98SE for next two years as my sole operating system. I play games, do all kinds of stuff with it. I live in a third world country, where this operating system is more affordable. And really programs like service packs made solely by selfless people are gemstones. It takes a long time to download updates from microsoft windows and if system requires a complete format and reinstallation that whole process has to be repeated.

You people are very busy i understand, but how about telling us about percentage of completion from time to time. Even if it is 1% every week. :whistle:

You people are very busy i understand, but how about telling us about percentage of completion from time to time. Even if it is 1% every week. :whistle:

sorry centrosaurus, I dont think we can do that because we dont even know how much the next version of the 98se service pack is completed.

there will be an announcement in this forum of a new version of the 98se SP when it is posted. so you will have to wait like the rest of us are doing.

:hello: I came to know about this website due to Gape's service pack. I am sure the new service pack will be out soon. It is an ordeal to accomplish such thing. Thumbs up to Gape and his Team.

Sorry guys. There was a lot of things to do. A new version will be definitely released. Please patience a little more.

sure Gape. I can wait a little longer. please make these changes to 98se SP's SPUPDATE.INF file.

In the "; 835732" section, modify this section to look like this:

---

HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","Registering cryptdlg.dll..." ,,"%11%\regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll"

HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","Registering cryptui.dll..." ,,"%11%\regsvr32 /s cryptui.dll"

HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","Registering mscat32.dll..." ,,"%11%\regsvr32 /s mscat32.dll"

HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","Registering mssip32.dll..." ,,"%11%\regsvr32 /s mssip32.dll"

HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","Registering schannel.dll..." ,,"%11%\regsvr32 /s schannel.dll"

HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","Registering softpub.dll..." ,,"%11%\regsvr32 /s softpub.dll"

HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","Registering wintrust.dll..." ,,"%11%\regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll"

---

Add this string in the [updateInis.Section] section:

Win.ini,intl,,"sShortDate=M/d/yyyy"

<this will automatically change the short date format from displaying 2 digits for the year to 4 digits without having to use the Regional Settings control panel app to do it>

also add the 2_4DATE.EXE file to make Win98se Explorer change the short date format from M/D/YY to M/D/YYYY.

And in the SPUNINST.INF file remove references to the DHTMLED.OCX, HLINK.DLL & NABTSFEC.SYS files, especially for Win98se users who have IE 5.01/5.5/6.0 and/or DirectX 8/9 installed. We do NOT want to restore these files with older ones.

In the "; Dcom98" section of SPUNINST.INF file, make a change to look like this:

HKCR,CLSID\{bdc67890-4fc0-11d0-a805-00aa006d2ea4}\InstalledVersion,,,"4,71,0,2900"

Win98se originally came with DCOM98 version 4.71.2900, not 4.71.1719.

Or if you want, I can take a look at the SPUPDATE.INF and SPUNINST.INF files and I can make the changes to make the Win98se SP install and un-install with few or no problems.

Edited by erpdude8

<this will automatically change the short date format from displaying 2 digits for the year to 4 digits without having to use the Regional Settings control panel app to do it>

also add the 2_4DATE.EXE file to make Win98se Explorer change the short date format from M/D/YY to M/D/YYYY.

AFAIK this is necessary in Windows 95 and Windows 98 Standard Edition only, the default short date format in Windows 98 Second Edition should be M/D/YYYY.

Petr

AFAIK this is necessary in Windows 95 and Windows 98 Standard Edition only, the default short date format in Windows 98 Second Edition should be M/D/YYYY.

Petr

It is not, Petr. it's still M/D/YY when doing a CLEAN install of Win98 SE. In WinME M/D/YYYY is the default.

BTW - I want to get your opinion of whether or not an option to not install updated user.exe & user32.dll files should be included in the 98se SP as mentioned by shadell here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=67610

have you encountered the screen saver taskbar problem in win98se Petr?

Edited by erpdude8

Petr

It is not, Petr. it's still M/D/YY when doing a CLEAN install of Win98 SE. In WinME M/D/YYYY is the default.

BTW - I want to get your opinion of whether or not an option to not install updated user.exe & user32.dll files should be included in the 98se SP as mentioned by shadell here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=67610

have you encountered the screen saver taskbar problem?

For the date i use dd.MM.yyyy as short and dddd, dd MMMM yyyy as long date in the regional settings applet.

The screen saver taskbar problem is just a cosmetic bug. So i don't bother trying to fix it. Click on the ghost button and it's gone. Why break something else just to save a single click ;)