98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

[...]The bottom line is VIP.386 4.10.0.2228 makes my surfing experience smoother, with less resource drain than v. 2227, whereas NDIS.VXD 4.10.0.2226 seems to facilitate the occurrence of "Internet Explorer will be closed" type errors, so I downgraded to v. 2225 back again. Yet, when I have more time I'll give it a more thorough testing. For the moment, however, I'll keep just vip.386 v. 2228 in my system.

:hello: Good news! I've been testing NDIS.VXD 4.10.0.2226 in my system again for 3 weeks, now, without any problems. I've been unable to reproduce the original issue I reported before, not having had any instance of "Internet Explorer will be closed" type errors in these three weeks, so I'm sure that what happened on my first test must have been due to some internet quirk outside my system that has been resolved already. I'm now convinced NDIS.VXD 4.10.0.2226 works OK.

I recently installed Virtual PC 5.1 on my 98SE testbox. Last night I was building a 98FE guest system. When it finished installing drivers and restarted in normal mode for the first time, my host system, 98SE, suffered a BSOD with the following:

0028:C1849D04 in VXD PPPMAC(04) 0000C874

PPPMAC.VXD is version 4.10.2223, installed by the unofficial service pack sesp30a1-en. The present alpha 2 version uses the same file. Version 4.10.2223 of PPPMAC.VXD appears to the break shared networking on Virtual PC 5.1. When I replaced PPPMAC.VXD with an original copy , it fixed the problem and shared networking works normally.

I don't know if this issue can be duplicated on another PC, if it's specific to mine, or if this is even useful to you. Other than this issue, the unofficial 98SE service pack works great on my PC.

Rick

...Version 4.10.2223 of PPPMAC.VXD appears to the break shared networking on Virtual PC 5.1. When I replaced PPPMAC.VXD with an original copy , it fixed the problem and shared networking works normally.

Hi herbalist,

What version was your original working PPPMAC.VXD?

I too use Virtual PC 5.1 with Windows 98SE Host OS.

I last had shared networking working around the middle of last year.

Sometime since then it's been broken although I really cannot remember exactly when...

May this year I was using version 4.10.0.2222 which did not work either...

It was then I installed MDGx's 98SE2ME package.

I'm now using PPPMAC.VXD from Windows Me (installed by 98SE2ME) version 4.90.0.3000 and it still does not work with Virtual PC 5.1.

I'm keen to find out what version you are using that works.

Also, All: there is newer msvbvm60.dll (6.0.97.98, kb930828) available, for example here. There is newer kb934602, but is is not available yet [i've tried to request it].

Forget it, Tihiy. KB934602 is another hotfix that has been "shortlived" and is no longer available from MS support anymore. I've tried requesting KB934602 myself a few weeks ago and MS doesn't have it anymore as what I've been told. Consider using KB930828 which should be mentioned at MDGx's web site.

RetroOS,

I'm using version 4.10.2222, extracted from driver14.cab. I haven't installed 98SE2ME, only the 98SE 3.0 alpha 1 and 2 service packs. Most likely, there's major differences between your system and mine. Earlier in its building, I used IEradicator to strip out Internet Explorer. Had to install IE6 in order to get VirtualPC to work at all.

I need to go back to an earlier setup and check things more closely too. I'm finding things broken as well and I don't know exactly when they broke. My CD burning software (BurnAtOnce) doesn't recognize any of the CD drives.

Rick

I'm using version 4.10.2222, extracted from driver14.cab...

herbalist,

My previous pppmac.vxd file, although it was 4.10.2222, was from Dial-Up Networking 1.4 from MS.

This version and the one from the cabs have the same version number and almost the same size.

DUN14 version is dated five months newer.

I've had this version for some years...

So... My problem does not appear to be pppmac.vxd then...

I've had very little broken software with the unofficial packs installed.

(One problem is Adobe Reader ActiveX crashing when loading a pdf in IE - had to turn off imbedded pdf...)

I really cannot recall if I had any of the packs installed when Virtual PC networking broke...

Oh well, I'll just have to build another box and test installing each pack until it breaks...

These updates/packages are not included into uSP3-01-alpha2

(Either because they were released after uSP3 or because Gape never included them.)

KB838751.EXE

COPY2GB.EXE

TOOLS9X.EXE

249973USA8.exe

CRYPT9X.EXE

DCOM98UP.EXE

PNGFIX.EXE

Q222930.EXE

Q250876.EXE

Q909363.EXE

TRIEDIT.EXE

WINFIL98.EXE

Q920213.EXE

SCANFRAG.EXE

HELPHLP.EXE

vcredist_x86.exe

These ones are included

(not a complete list but some of the most recent updates)

HHUPD.EXE

237493usa8.exe

rootsupd.exe

FDSKFRMT.EXE

Q931836.EXE

Q926247.exe

Q929120.EXE

RUNHELP.EXE

SHELL98.EXE

Q918547.EXE

KB917344-x86.Exe

SHELL98b.EXE

These ones are not included in uSP and will never be (I think)

JavaRuntime-1_5_0_12-i586-p.exe

DirectX

TTFPAK.EXE

Flash9-0-74_W98.exe

-------

HTH

GAPE

If I attempt to install 98SE SP3 with additional options, I get an error telling me there's not enough memory. I have a GIG of DDR400 SDRAM. I shut down everthing I can, even the systray and I still get that. Only if I disable all additional options and install the base SP3 only can I install. Do you have the system tweaks and other options in a separate package for install?

thx

Gape:

The link in 1st post to SP 3.0 Alpha 2 has gone 404 [file not found]. :(

Here is a mirror:

Newer:

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2) 3.0 Alpha 2 Test [20.3 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/SESP30A2.EXE

Older:

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2) 98 SE SP2 2.1a Stable [16.6 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/SESP21A.EXE

HTH