98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Hold on on the last one (CDFS.VXD). While possibly useful to some of us, there's a size display patch by Rudolph Loew for the same driver. I'd first wait for Mr. Loew's opinion on whether his patch would work correctly on both original and modified drivers and then the service pack should make sure that any patching will occur after the driver file has been replaced and not before. But heck, I don't even know if the Service Pack includes Mr. Loew's patch...

I just tried rloew CDFS.VXD patch, it works but not on the modified version. So far the only files I have that needs to be patched are

Patched CDFS.VXD from rloew unique patch script

Patched COMDLG32.DLL from http://www.netcult.ch/elmue/ElmueSoft-en.htm

Patched IO.SYS from rloew unique patch script

Patched MPR.DLL from http://www.mdgx.com/

As a general rule, IMHO safer than anything, patchers with proved compatibility over different file versions should be preferred over already patched/modified files, simply because installers based on version numbers or just plain dumb installers, might break functionality in already patched files, bringing confusion (or mayhem) to an otherwise perfectly working system.

Let's not be hasty, but search/wait for the right solutions.

Not sure about USB20DRV.EXE, I've had some trouble with it not so long ago. Hasn't it been merged with NUSB 3.5 or am I just dreaming?

No it has not. Maximus-Decim did once include the WDMSTUB.SYS in NUSB 3.1, IIRR, but then he removed it. I can discuss the operation of USB20DRV in more detail, but fact is that if one installs NUSB 3.5, then adds just the files from USB20DRV.EXE manually, and then modifies the USBSTOR.INF to say <HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS>, it'll work all right. The registry modifications that USB20DRV.EXE makes are not really needed and the USBHUB20.SYS it includes is required just for VIA chipsets... for all others, the one in NUSB3.5 is newer and better. In short, I'd just add USBEHCI.SYS, USBPORT.SYS and WDMSTUB.SYS from USB20DRV and modify the USBSTOR.INF, and that should be enough.

Except that VIA and SiS are the most resiliant chipsets with regard to Win9x (as in drivers still available) and thus most likely to be used by people in the present and near future. Therefore we may just have to find out how to recognize an installed and enabled VIA chipset (or USB standalone chip) and complete the installation with the USBHUB20.SYS driver. I myself use a VIA-based motherboard plus a standalone VIA USB2.0 PCI board currently, while other two machines have SIS chipsets.

Here are some patches that I'm going to add to my own personal service pack.

http://www.sonicspot.com/alternatecdfsvxd/alternatecdfsvxd.html

This modified version of CDFS.VXD appears to be based upon the Win95 driver:

Version:      4.00.1030
Description: CDFS Virtual Device (Version 4.0)
Copyright: Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1988-1995

Several years ago I tried it on two of my 98FE systems. It did do quite nicely what it claims (WAV files for all audio tracks), but prevented me from reading some of my important CDR's.

Removing this driver and restoring the 98FE version allowed me to read my CDR's on both systems again.

I vote: :thumbdown (or make it optional with a caveat in the description.)

Edited by jumper

Web installer? Hmmm... What would that be? I have a (presumably) full package of IE6-SP1 somewhere on my HDD, complete with language packs. Could you check whether my package misses something?

And somebody tell me why can't I upload a file to MSFN !?!

IE6 file list

These are the files from web setup.

IE 6\ADVAUTH.CAB

IE 6\BRANDING.CAB

IE 6\CRLUPD.CAB

IE 6\FILELIST.DAT

IE 6\FONTCORE.CAB

IE 6\GSETUP95.CAB

IE 6\HELPCONT.CAB

IE 6\HHUPD.CAB

IE 6\ICWCON.CAB

IE 6\IE_EXTRA.CAB

IE 6\IE_S1.CAB

IE 6\IE_S2.CAB

IE 6\IE_S3.CAB

IE 6\IE_S4.CAB

IE 6\IE_S5.CAB

IE 6\IE_S6.CAB

IE 6\IE6SETUP.EXE

IE 6\IEDOM.CAB

IE 6\IEEXINST.CAB

IE 6\IESETUP.DIR

IE 6\IESETUP.INI

IE 6\MAILNEWS.CAB

IE 6\MPLAYER2.CAB

IE 6\OAINST.CAB

IE 6\README.CAB

IE 6\SETUPW95.CAB

IE 6\WAB.CAB

15.8 MB total size of folder

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

No it has not. Maximus-Decim did once include the WDMSTUB.SYS in NUSB 3.1, IIRR, but then he removed it. I can discuss the operation of USB20DRV in more detail, but fact is that if one installs NUSB 3.5, then adds just the files from USB20DRV.EXE manually, and then modifies the USBSTOR.INF to say <HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS>, it'll work all right. The registry modifications that USB20DRV.EXE makes are not really needed and the USBHUB20.SYS it includes is required just for VIA chipsets... for all others, the one in NUSB3.5 is newer and better. In short, I'd just add USBEHCI.SYS, USBPORT.SYS and WDMSTUB.SYS from USB20DRV and modify the USBSTOR.INF, and that should be enough.

I just looked inside the NUSB package and all files from USB20DRV are included. The only thing I would have to do is load HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS by default. I'm going to try and add it. I need a tester with multiple USB devices, because I won't release this to the public unless I know for sure its stable.

For what it's worth, I've been running NUSB 3.5 ever since its release and it hasn't failed me yet, except for the bluetooth dongle that probably lacks further OS support. Other 4 USB Flash sticks, 1 multi-SDHC card reader, 1 portable camera with SD-card and at least 3 other Flash sticks belonging to my friends (of which at least one was set as removable HDD by the manufacturer), have been detected and operated without problems. The Lexmark X1150 multi-function printer/scanner has its own drivers so it shouldn't count; neither should the USB mouse Trust MI-2520p - however they both work correctly too. Got no other USB devices that may help for testing purposes.

I should mention (again) however, that both motherboard chipset and USB-to-PCI adapter operate VIA chips. You may wanna wait for confirmation from someone with different USB chip or chipset, or different USB devices.

For what it's worth, I've been running NUSB 3.5 ever since its release and it hasn't failed me yet, except for the bluetooth dongle that probably lacks further OS support. Other 4 USB Flash sticks, 1 multi-SDHC card reader, 1 portable camera with SD-card and at least 3 other Flash sticks belonging to my friends (of which at least one was set as removable HDD by the manufacturer), have been detected and operated without problems. The Lexmark X1150 multi-function printer/scanner has its own drivers so it shouldn't count; neither should the USB mouse Trust MI-2520p - however they both work correctly too. Got no other USB devices that may help for testing purposes.

I should mention (again) however, that both motherboard chipset and USB-to-PCI adapter operate VIA chips. You may wanna wait for confirmation from someone with different USB chip or chipset, or different USB devices.

I think you enough devices for testing. hopefully I will get started on it sometime this week. I'm still going to release an update today. I want to call it final incase

I don't get the usb properly working. But if I do get USB support, I can always change the text in the files.