98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I think I may have the VIA controllers fix. I have the files ready. Please don't ask for the files if you are NOT going to test them.

We have a size limit here at MSFN. I have to upload them somewhere else. Make sure you have a VIA Chipset.

You don't need to do a clean install, but you will need to install main updates again (for testing purposes).

Then navigate to safe mode, replace some files, remove all usb controllers and REBOOT! If we get the VIA controllers working,

I shouldn't have any problems getting the others to work. Thank you Lonecrusader, Drugwash, dencorso.

:thumbup:w00t::lol::D B)

U98SESP3 already contains Dial-Up Networking 1.4

I went back and traced the U98SESP3 installation on my computer. I'm running Windows 98 SE from the last MSDN distribution for 95/98/ME.

U98SESP3 installs updated DUN system files, but does not register the new adapter if the old adapter is not already installed and configured. To reproduce, click:

1. Control Panel
  2. Network
  3. Configuration, Add
  4. Adapter, Add
  5. Manufacturers, Microsoft
  6. Network Adapters, Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
  7. OK (and the dialog silently fails)

This seems to happen because U98SESP3 breaks the "Virtual Private Network " component dependencies for Windows Setup during the SP3.CAB override. The usual dependencies for "Virtual Private Network" disappear, which are "Dial-Up Networking", "ISDN Configuration Wizard", and "Telephony Support". A silent dependency on "Dial-Up ATM Support" is also added, because if the registry changes for that component don't happen, then the new adapter is not registered.

Toggling the entire "Communications" section or running dun14-se.exe resolves the adapter registration glitch after running U98SESP3.

For anyone who isn't sure if a file is included or not, please read the changelog here

Does this project have a repo for developers? The changelog doesn't explain how or why things happened, and having the change history would make it easier for me to submit a patch instead of a bug report.

This seems to happen because U98SESP3 breaks the "Virtual Private Network " component dependencies for Windows Setup during the SP3.CAB override.

Virtual Private Network works fine on my system. I hope you figure it out. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I think I may have the VIA controllers fix. I have the files ready. Please don't ask for the files if you are NOT going to test them.

We have a size limit here at MSFN. I have to upload them somewhere else. Make sure you have a VIA Chipset.

You don't need to do a clean install, but you will need to install main updates again (for testing purposes).

Then navigate to safe mode, replace some files, remove all usb controllers and REBOOT! If we get the VIA controllers working,

I shouldn't have any problems getting the others to work. Thank you Lonecrusader, Drugwash, dencorso.

:thumbup:w00t::lol::D B)

I can try that on the Compaq 6350 that was causing problems last week before the answer was found. I'll just restore a pre-sp3 ghost image of the clean install and it'll be like starting over with whatever modded sp3 install you have. Let me know!

I think I have other via based machines in the pile to try although I haven't gotten to them yet.

Edited by billyb

VIA Controllers TEST files

Unplug all USB devices

Install Main Updates

Place the 2 inf files in Windows\inf directory

Place the VSBHUB20.SYS in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

Remove all USB controllers/devices in safe mode. Reboot!

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

VIA Controllers TEST files

Unplug all USB devices

Install Main Updates

Place the 2 inf files in Windows\inf directory

Place the VSBHUB20.SYS in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

Remove all USB controllers/devices in safe mode. Reboot!

Here's what I did which on a couple of tries, didn't work very well..

fresh install win98se

installed main sp3 updates -no to reboot

rebooted into pure dos

With your test files...

copied the 2 inf files to windows\inf... system prompted to replace usb2.inf?... clicked yes

copied the .sys file to windows\system32\drivers

rebooted into safe mode

removed all references to usb

rebooted

system showed building databases

system came up.. I popped in a Lexar 16gb flash drive and got the blue screen

zapped the drive and tried again from a fresh install and got the same thing.

This time, as a test, I did all the above steps with the test files but I then also manually copied the usbhub20.sys 4.90.3000.11 driver that I had from last week... rebooted... and all is now fine with the flash drives

Don't know why this is since I'm guessing your .sys file is the same 4.9.3000.11 (at least the file size seems the same)

Did I do the steps wrong?

In any case, I do have this system working.

Edited by billyb

No, you did it right, as far as I can see. :thumbup

Problem is: probably the USBHUB20.SYS, which starts being the MS one, seems not to have been correctly replaced by the VIA one.

If anyone else experiences this issue, please do check and report what is the File Version and Manufacturer (from the Copyright string) of the USBHUB20.SYS that is present, before copying the correct one over it. But since your fix worked, it seems it was the MS one all along, till you fixed it by hand. BTW, do you still have a VSBHUB20.SYS in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS?

The changelog doesn't explain how or why things happened, and having the change history would make it easier for me to submit a patch instead of a bug report.

These two large threads can act as a detailed changelog: the old thread, and this one that we're currently posting on. It will be a lot of reading, but you will be able to see the day to day developments.

billyb, is that the same system that reads VEN_8086 (that is, Intel, not VIA) in the USB controller string?

In post #1318, billyb stated his USB controller on the P4G533-LA motherboard in Compaq Presario 6350us appeared in registry as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\USB\ROOT_HUB20\PCI&VEN_8086&DEV_24CD&SUBSYS_80891043&REV_01&BUS_00&DEV_1D&FUNC_07

That is the hardware detection's result and cannot be fooled through drivers.

I went to the HP/Compaq site, downloaded the supposedly VIA USB driver and upon opening it, I noticed two configuration files inside:

- usb2x.inf

- VIAEHCXP.INF

The first one contains references to PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&REV_01 and PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&REV_02, both of them being manufactured by NEC and PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CD being manufactured by Intel. Looking a few rows above, we notice the latter matches exactly billyb's registry report. The Strings section at the bottom of the file states PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CD.DeviceDesc="Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" Therefore, I conclude there is no doubt that billyb's controller is definitely manufactured by Intel, not VIA. The fact that the said driver can be found in a VIA package is probably more than just a coincidence - I suspect Compaq just had to put them together one way or another and they chose the VIA name as being more appropriate, that's all - however it is clear that the driver has nothing to do with VIA.

The setup does not contain or manipulate usbhub.sys; actually, the configuration file mentions in the comments that they leave it on the system and actually use it. The setup does install usbehci.sys though, which is described as EHCI eUSB Miniport Driver manufactured by Microsoft.

On the other hand, the second configuration file (VIAEHCXP.INF) refers to PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104 which by vendor ID 1106 and the line in the Strings section PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104.DeviceDesc="VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller" we clearly see it belongs to VIA. However, since billyb's registry doesn't mention that vendor ID anywhere in the USB controller string, we shouldn't waste any more time on it.

Now, are we clear that the so-much-debated USB controller on the P4G533-LA motherboard in Compaq Presario 6350us is manufactured by Intel and therefore should work with Intel/Microsoft drivers? :whistle:

Edited by Drugwash

I'll try the new files in about an hour.

The machine in its current working form after the tests yesterday (where I also manually copied in the via driver after the fact)-

in regedit for the root_hub20 line-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\USB\ROOT_HUB20\PCI&VEN_8086&DEV_24CD&SUBSYS_80891043&REV_01&BUS_00&DEV_1D&FUNC_07

hardware ID details- usb\root_Hub20&Vid8086&PID24cd&rev001,U

---------------

When returning to windows and looking at the properties of the usbhub20.sys file in the system32 drivers folder, the info is-

VIA USB 2.0 HUB Driver

Copyright © VIA Technologies, INC. 2002-2005

------------------------------------------

In device manager, the driver details on the usb 2.0 root hub say-

c:\windows\system32drivers\wdmstub.sys (provider Walter oney software ver 5.00.006)

c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbhub20.sys (provider Via Technologies Inc ver 4.90.3000.11

c:\windows\system\vmm32\ntkern.vxd (provider Microsoft ver 4.10.2224)

I think the best solution is

Add the USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11 as VSBHUB20.SYS.

Have it present in the Windows\system32\drivers directory.

If you have a VIA chipset/controller then delete the Microsoft default USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 while already in safe mode, rename VSBHUB20.SYS to USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11. REBOOT!

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Just installed sp3 on another computer. An old 1993 Packard Bell with a 75mhz P1 and only 24mb of ram. I also popped in an Adaptec pci usb card I have here. Runs great with the usb and with the limited ram. Some third party programs won't load due to the low ram, but overall, this is pretty cool.

Just installed sp3 on another computer. An old 1993 Packard Bell with a 75mhz P1 and only 24mb of ram. I also popped in an Adaptec pci usb card I have here. Runs great with the usb and with the limited ram. Some third party programs won't load due to the low ram, but overall, this is pretty cool.

Glad you enjoying your systems. Thanks for testing :thumbup