98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

OMG ! Welcome to the forum, I hope. My 1st post/comments.

I hope I don't fuel the (usb) fire any more, but here goes.

Has anyone else had an install problem with 98 SE SP 3.x, when your system has both a USB keyboard & mouse ?

Mine is: Viewsonic KBM-KU-306 & MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000

MB=Asus A7N8X - nVidia nForce2 controllers - AMD Anthalon 1300 CPU - 512 Mb Ram

Did a fresh clean install Win 98 SE. Installed all necessary drivers to eliminate any unknown devices in the System /Device Manager section,

including (nVidia ?) usb20_98me.exe Ver 2.0.8 (that removed a PCI Universal Serial Bus-unknown ? device)

Installed IE 5.5 & Dirextx 9.0c. Did a MS Backup of my C: drive All worked fine to this point

Now I installed SP 3.6 main updates only. When install was finished, I shut down.

Then I would reboot to Safe Mode, to remove any and all USB stuff in the device manager. (As to your usb 2.0 notice/instructions)

KB & Mouse had to remain attached or PC won't boot up.

Hope that was correct procedure to follow. Upon S/D & Reboot: detection of Standard Open HCI Usb Host Controller started.

Was seeking files usb.inf & then Sp3.cab. When finished installing software your hardware requires dialog message popped up, both

the mouse & keyboard locked up/no response. SD & reboot again to add new H.W. wizard window looking to install Standard Open HCI Usb Host Controller

again, and again no response from mouse or KB. This continues to reoccur on every reboot, No KB or mouse. Tried at least 6 times with no success.

Booted to safe mode to restore my previously backed up system (replace all files & restore Registry & H.W. settings)

Interesting note after System restore is all my Usb storage devices were recognized and usable. About 6 different ones. Could do fast removal also.

PROBLEMCHYLD: This is not a complaint or gripe, just a report, and if I did something stupid/didn't read something, I apologize for wasting your time.

I've been following this and many other topics in the 98 area for quite a few years and appreciate all the hard work & time you skilled folks put into these

projects & improvements. If you would like anymore info, I'll do my best to respond, as soon as I figure out how to reply to a specific post.

Thanks for listening & I hope this goes where it's supposed to. (PS: There are a lot of rookies, newbies, P.-Time Hackers, guests etc., out there lookin' at this GREAT STUFF)

ReK

Hi Problemchyld,

did you tested psapi.dll (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)) ??

I am using it since mid-July and have not encountered any issues yet.

Have a nice weekend !!!

what app did you use that requires it? Some of my apps installed it, but was not needed to work.

I deleted the version that was installed and all worked fine.

I do not 'use' this version because of a certain app but because I noticed that you have the older one in your SP and I thought to test it and let you know if it seem to be O.K so you can test it also.

Same for usbmon.dll (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)).

• 2 weeks later...

All the talk on USB keyboards and mice probably explains the issues I'm having (see my W3629 topic). Not too concerned as you're aware of the issue. One other very minor suggestion, work on a better start up and shutdown logo. The ones included look awful on a wide screen monitor. Otherwise, nice work!

Edited by Steven W

Possible problem found: on a fresh install of Windows98SE with nothing more than NUSB 3.6 used to get the SP onto the computer via a usb flash drive ( I did restart in safe mode and uninstalled all USB devices) After installing the Main updates only, all programs in the Microsoft Office 97 family will give me the error "The server application, source file, or item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it has not been deleted, moved, or renamed." Whenever I try to open the Clip Art gallery. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Possible problem found: on a fresh install of Windows98SE with nothing more than NUSB 3.6 used to get the SP onto the computer via a usb flash drive ( I did restart in safe mode and uninstalled all USB devices) After installing the Main updates only, all programs in the Microsoft Office 97 family will give me the error "The server application, source file, or item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it has not been deleted, moved, or renamed." Whenever I try to open the Clip Art gallery. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Wild guess, mind you, but try running (double click ) artgalry.exe, it may re-register correctly. :unsure:

See also:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.apps.misc/browse_thread/thread/b36e86e6a5014e83

I seem to remember it was an issue in the good ol' days....

jaclaz

Hi,

New user here.

I was just wondering whether someone would be able to provide a little "How To" on .....How To get the best out of Win 98 SE (Including this SP).

I have a clean Windows 98 SE Install on a VM, the only thing non standard is VMTools. What is the process for installing the latest SP (3.7) (Step by steps). Are there any pre reqs?

Is there any additional patches, packs that would bring additional benefits or should I just stick with this SP?

Apologies if this has been answered anywhere else before, but I read up to page 46 and thought it would be quicker to ask.

Kind Regards

J

Hi,

New user here.

I was just wondering whether someone would be able to provide a little "How To" on .....How To get the best out of Win 98 SE (Including this SP).

I have a clean Windows 98 SE Install on a VM, the only thing non standard is VMTools. What is the process for installing the latest SP (3.7) (Step by steps). Are there any pre reqs?

Is there any additional patches, packs that would bring additional benefits or should I just stick with this SP?

Apologies if this has been answered anywhere else before, but I read up to page 46 and thought it would be quicker to ask.

Kind Regards

J

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip98.htm Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hi,

Thanks for the hasty reply. I have visited that site before, and it does have a massive amount of information.

I was more concerned with your SP specifically, and it's pre reqs. Is IE 6 SP1 a pre req for example?

Also what is the comparision between SP3.7 and Auto-Patcher?

Thanks Again

Jamie

Hi,

Thanks for the hasty reply. I have visited that site before, and it does have a massive amount of information.

I was more concerned with your SP specifically, and it's pre reqs. Is IE 6 SP1 a pre req for example?

Also what is the comparision between SP3.7 and Auto-Patcher?

Thanks Again

Jamie

The README.TXT explains most instructions. Things like IE 5/6 is not required. I don't use either. The SP can be installed on any machine with or without IE5/6 or 98lite. You have many options to choose from in SP3.x. Auto-Patcher is great for people who are having problems with SP3.x. Auto-Patcher has things like DirectX, .Net Framework, Windows Media Player etc..... SP does NOT have those options. Don't mix SP with any other packages. Use one or the other. SP3.x is the most up to date pack for Win98SE.

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Upgrade Pack (WUPG) Dozen Afterlife Edition November 2010

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Auto-Patcher v2.60

Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Power Pack (W9xPP) 5.01

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2)

When I run Artgalry.exe I get an error saying "Clip Gallery could not register itself on your computer. You may not have the proper administrative permissions."

Did you install Office first or the SP? Follow the instructions in the README.TXT
Prerequites:

Minimum 64 MB of RAM.
136 MB free hard disk space.

Installation Guide: * = Optional.

[1] Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
[2] Install all the latest drivers for your hardware.
[3] Install latest IE.*
[4] Install latest DirectX.*
[5] Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).
[6] Unplug all USB devices.
[7] Remove all current USB/EHCI drivers + controllers from Device Manager in safe mode. REBOOT!
[8] Let all drivers redetect on startup. Plug in USB devices one at a time. If no new USB drivers have been added to Service Pack 3.x, then you only need to do this procedure (ONCE)!
[9] Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
[10] Install MS Office.*
[11] Install KernelEx, 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack.*

3.8 future release :w00t:

Added MSFTEDIT.DLL 5.41.21.2512 Windows 7

Added the the original [shortcut] icon arrows

Removed System.ini,386enh,,"MaxPhysPage=40000"

Msvcrt40.dll file version 5.1.2600.5512 does not work properly!

You can not run MSInfo32.exe

post-293708-0-28191400-1348094371_thumb.

because the file MFC40.DLL (4.1.6151) is linked to missing export of MSVCRT40.DLL: _adjust_fdiv

post-293708-0-52728800-1348094386_thumb.

Msvcrt40.dll file version 4.22.0000 (from Windows ME) works with the Mfc40.dll (4.1.6151) correctly and Msinfo32.exe opens.

Edited by egrabrych

Msvcrt40.dll file version 5.1.2600.5512 does not work properly!

You can not run MSInfo32.exe

post-293708-0-28191400-1348094371_thumb.

because the file MFC40.DLL (4.1.6151) is linked to missing export of MSVCRT40.DLL: _adjust_fdiv

post-293708-0-52728800-1348094386_thumb.

Msvcrt40.dll file version 4.22.0000 (from Windows ME) works with the Mfc40.dll (4.1.6151) correctly and Msinfo32.exe opens.

Did you install Office first or the SP? Follow the instructions in the README.TXT

Sorry, I didn't see the read me file in there.

Now when I go to install MS Office 97 (just right after I enter the cd key) I get an error message saying "Setup error 797 Object 1586 Your setup files may be damaged . Try restarting the setup program from where you originally ran it"

When I run the program again, I get the same errors.

Clicking ok will yield subsequent error messages that all say the same thing except the Object that it is referring to changes.

The objects that are being referred to are in order are 1586,1596,1591,1601, and 1582.

Then windows reports that the program preformed an illegal operation and the install closes.

Under details it reads:

ACMSETUP caused an invalid page fault in

module OFF97_BB.DLL at 0167:00dc695d.

Registers:

EAX=00000641 CS=0167 EIP=00dc695d EFLGS=00010202

EBX=004382f8 SS=016f ESP=005cf6f4 EBP=00536094

ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=0053608c FS=2c37

EDX=00536094 ES=016f EDI=00c2f408 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 34 01 56 53 e8 f9 cb fe ff 56 8b f8 53 e8 30

Stack dump:

00c2f40c 0053608c 00c2f408 004382f8