98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I installed 3.9 and I noticed that after I installed Microsoft PLUS! for Windows 98 (After I finished the last step in the read me) some system programs got there file extensions changed. Such as Theme.exe, tuneup.exe and Theme.cpl got changed to Themeexe.W98, tuneupexe.W98 and themecpl.W98 Also the start up Logo.sys and the Logow.sys files were renamed to Logo.W98 and Logow.W98 Respectively. Needless to say this broke all of the shortcuts to those files and reverted the boot up screen to the original Windows 98 one. After renaming all the .W98 files to there original extensions files they worked fine. These are the only files that could be found with a .W98 extension.

Thank you for this, it really has helped all of my Windows 98 machines with there overall stability.

I must to say that this is a great project I want to see something similar for 95 and ME.

However I want to ask something else:

Why you don't include updates released in Windows Security 2004 CD for Windows 98 SE in your Unofficial Service Pack how Windows version can be automatically changed to 4.10.2222B.

For example I've used that cd together with unofficial service pack 3.8 and everything works great.

n6paxc.png

P.S. I've original iso so if you are interested pm me.

I must to say that this is a great project I want to see something similar for 95 and ME.

Why you don't include updates released in Windows Security 2004 CD for Windows 98 SE in your Unofficial Service Pack how Windows version can be automatically changed to 4.10.2222B.

For example I've used that cd together with unofficial service pack 3.8 and everything works great.

n6paxc.png

All the updates that are included on the CD are already included in SP3.x The only ones that are not included are

Internet Explorer 6 SP1

DirectX 9.0b

Windows Media Player 9

.Net Framework

Those updates alone will triple the size of SP3.x. Not everyone uses Windows Media Player 9 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1.

All the updates that are included on the CD are already included in SP3.x The only ones that are not included are

Internet Explorer 6 SP1

DirectX 9.0b

Windows Media Player 9

.Net Framework

Those updates alone will triple the size of SP3.x. Not everyone uses Windows Media Player 9 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1.

Why then Service pack not change revision from "A" to "B"?

Maybe some registry keys or inf file aren't installed properly ?

Edited by maxmaxtorix

I spoke too soon about the MS-Paint version getting dowgraded bf graphics filters. It is the main updates that do it.

Other than that 3.9 has been rock solid !

I'm still not understanding your issue with the older paint program. Please give us step by step instructions, so we can try and reproduce the error/problem.

I just googled "4.10.2222B" and learned that it has caused installation problems for a number of apps, so that registry change is to be avoided.

Thanks, but I had no intentions whatsoever in changing it :w00t: Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Install Vanilla 98SE

*Open MS-Paint

*Take color picker tool

*Move the mouse to a random location on the canvas and click

*Color is selected and the previous tool is selected (in this case pencil)

MS-Paint version is 5.00.1740.1

Size 344064 Bytes

Install SP3.9

*Open MS-Paint

*Take color picker tool

*Move the mouse to a random location on the canvas and click

*Color is selected but tool does not change back

MS-Paint version is 5.00.1523.1

Size 328464 Bytes

I am not sure what the older version has over the stock one, other than the tool problem I have not seen any difference in functionality.

Tool not changing back breaks the workflow for a "poweruser"

The navigation menu on my website is made in MS-Paint for example - http://www.tmeeco.eu

It is not a big deal as I can always extract the original version from the install CD (it lives inside BASE4.CAB)

Edited by TmEE

Please forgive my confusion, and sorry I missed it, but what was the reason for deciding to use the older version of Paint please? (5.00.1523.1 vs 5.00.1740.1) A link to the explanation will be fine if this was already explained.

Cheers and Regards

View Postjumper, on Yesterday, 06:10 AM, said:

I just googled "4.10.2222B" and learned that it has caused installation problems for a number of apps, so that registry change is to be avoided.

Thanks, but I had no intentions whatsoever in changing it :w00t:

I also think that it is a bad idea to change the version number, Could not there be an option or utility in the service pack to change it back?