98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

How ideal is it to create a list for users just to point them to the list?
Much better than saying "use the search".;) Believe me, I've had my behind kicked one too many times by the so-called search function and I'm not talking about this board but generally, over the web. Try searching for short words or acronyms such as SP or SP3, you'll see what I mean. A search function is only useful when you know what to search and where. Many people come from foreign countries (such as myself) and they may not know the correct terms for whatever they're searching for. Some may land on the last page from a link on some other site out there, many may not know even what we consider the basic rule of having all important info in post #1. Frustration accumulates and may overflow in a not-so-nice manner. Whereas a simple link or the phrase "please read post #1" would be just enough to point them in the right direction.

Anyway, "ideal" is a nice word for "impossible", but I do believe such FAQ would get us much closer to it. Then, if they don't go there, they're on their own. But we got our back covered (and mouths wide shut :whistle: ).

(no matter how careful, there's always a typo...)

Edited by Drugwash

That'd be the starting point. Someone who has enough spare time to put together pieces of information. Each of us may know a few things, somemoderators may already have links to relevant posts, you're the one who knows most, especially change logs. Those would be great for pointers. For the rest, there's this loooooooooong thread to comb and find whatever small oddity that may rise from installing the Service Pack.

If nobody else offers, I could try to build it, but that would definitely hinder my other projects. Let's see what we got, wait a reasonable amount of time for some volunteers and we'll take it from there. ;)

That'd be the starting point. Someone who has enough spare time to put together pieces of information. Each of us may know a few things, somemoderators may already have links to relevant posts, you're the one who knows most, especially change logs. Those would be great for pointers. For the rest, there's this loooooooooong thread to comb and find whatever small oddity that may rise from installing the Service Pack.

If nobody else offers, I could try to build it, but that would definitely hinder my other projects. Let's see what we got, wait a reasonable amount of time for some volunteers and we'll take it from there. ;)

I'm cool with that.

WANTED

Volunteer(s) to gather and put together

bits and pieces of information pertaining to installation

of

Windows 98 Second Edition Unofficial Service Pack

Personal knowledge and experience is most welcome.

Once we find a keeper, we start pushing information towards him. Most important things first, then details and rare events. Get ready with an empty PM box and/or a public e-mail address.

WANTED

Volunteer(s) ... ...

Well, as I haven't contributed to this very worthwhile & necessary project so far, now is obviously the time to volunteer. Depending on how real life is going (demanding customers etc) there might be a few days gap between times that I can attend to this filing etc task. If that is OK with everyone, I'm happy to have a go. Email the info collections etc to:

w98sesp3

-at-

isonews2.com

Jeff

[Address deliberately split over three lines to inhibit spam@ddress.scraper.bots.org ]

Thank you very much, most kind of you to volunteer for this task. :thumbup We may want to wait a little more, maybe there's someone else willing to help too, as we may need to split tasks and/or have a backup.

Meanwhile, anybody that had any major or minor issues installing the Service Pack and they were able to fix them, please write down the complete procedure as detailed as possible, so we could analyze, extract and format the most important information. Known incompatibilities (even former ones with earlier versions of the SP), known tips and tricks, anything that may be useful to someone that never used the SP before - please write them down and keep it ready to be sent to our keeper(s). People trying the SP would want to have that information at hand, before running into any of those issues during or after installation.

I'm very glad someone else agreed to be the keeper. As a place for folks to begin posting potential entries to the FAQ, to prevent too many duplicates, and to help trigger folks ideas of other Q&A's I created this thread - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/160041-98sp3-faq-gathering-thread/ Other hints, tips and tricks could also be posted there.

Cheers and Regards

I have been working on the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). The drivers seems to work but I cant access any media. I did the same thing in WinXP and I was able to see the media through windows explorer. I think we might need a app to view it on Win98. I'll look into it some more. If you guys have any ideas, please post them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been putting 98SE on my HP NX6125 since I got a working WiFi card that likes 98 too.

And it seems 3.13 is not getting along with ATI OpenHCI USB. Bootlog stops at "loading PNP drivers for..." entry

Installing USB drivers will result in BSOD or Windows Protection Error during boot :}

When I experimented long ago I could get USB working without trouble with nusb3.3

I made a snapshot of the system prior to installing SP3.13 so I can carry on some experiments without much problems. I dual boot 98SE and XP on that laptop, to get best of both worlds ^^

I have been putting 98SE on my HP NX6125 since I got a working WiFi card that likes 98 too.

And it seems 3.13 is not getting along with ATI OpenHCI USB. Bootlog stops at "loading PNP drivers for..." entry

Installing USB drivers will result in BSOD or Windows Protection Error during boot :}

When I experimented long ago I could get USB working without trouble with nusb3.3

I made a snapshot of the system prior to installing SP3.13 so I can carry on some experiments without much problems. I dual boot 98SE and XP on that laptop, to get best of both worlds ^^

Download this Package Delete SP3.CAB in Windows\System\Precopy. Replace USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 with the VIA version USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11. Remove all USB drivers in safe mode. Let everything re-detect on start up. Report back here.

I had to manually point out files during driver install when SP3.CAB was gone, when pointing usbui.dll and pressing OK things explode with 0E exception in VXD NTKERN(08).

using VIA INF to install the devices gets nowhere.

I had to manually point out files during driver install when SP3.CAB was gone, when pointing usbui.dll and pressing OK things explode with 0E exception in VXD NTKERN(08).

using VIA INF to install the devices gets nowhere.

You are not suppose to use the via inf file. All you need to do is replace that one file I listed and follow the rest of the usb instructions.