98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

The laptop is all PS/2 inside so USB driver installs are not going to be problematic.

Current workaround for me has been installation of NUSB36 before SP313. When I update the drivers then I will be asked if I want to keep the current newer file (OPENHCI.SYS). Keeping the newer file seems te work, but replacing it ended up in a freeze, mouse moves and no BSOD. Forced reboot then results in Windows Protection Error.

EDIT: I extracted OPENHCI.SYS from NUSB36 and replaced it in SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and boot error is gone but USB flash stick caused me a freeze and on forced reboot there was no error.

Edited by TmEE

The laptop is all PS/2 inside so USB driver installs are not going to be problematic.

Current workaround for me has been installation of NUSB36 before SP313. When I update the drivers then I will be asked if I want to keep the current newer file (OPENHCI.SYS). Keeping the newer file seems te work, but replacing it ended up in a freeze, mouse moves and no BSOD. Forced reboot then results in Windows Protection Error.

EDIT: I extracted OPENHCI.SYS from NUSB36 and replaced it in SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and boot error is gone but USB flash stick caused me a freeze and on forced reboot there was no error.

So that means the Win98 version of OPENHCI.SYS has a conflict with ATI controllers. Thanks Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I have some Good news and Bad news. I will release 2 versions of SP sometime in January.

It will be a 3.14 and a 3.15. SP 3.14 wil be the last version with USB support. I will remove all USB drivers from 3.15 and above. It seems that the USB drivers are causing conflicts on different systems even though they work on many other systems. Its seem no one is interested in coming up with a overall solution, which means many are content with the situation as long as it don't [affect/effect] them. So I'm content as well :thumbup I said this before, I don't think people should use VIA drivers with Intel, Sis drivers with NEC etc.... I tried to use MS only drivers as a universal solution, it didn't work out so nicely :} That means if you have had problems with NUSB and the SP3.x USB 1.1/USB 2.0 drivers, I don't have a solution for you. I will not waste my time trying to update 2 packages. Its not worth it :no:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I think you're absolutely right to make this decision.

Trying to produce a service pack with full up to date USB support for all possible hardware configurations must be impossible, so it's best not to include it at all.

People who want better USB support in Windows 98SE can easily investigate other solutions which they can try.

:)

It's been discussed before. The problem itself is not as much as which driver files to use with a particular controller/hub, but how to allow different controllers to coexist on a given system, when their respective driver files are identically named.

Detection of an existing controller is relatively easy to perform at install time, through a small application or by the installer itself - something I promised I'd build but I still don't have enough information to start with (and spare time). But when a new controller is added and drivers are needed, that's when the "fun" begins.

The installation inf should contain specific sections, one for each controller brand that does not play well with the generic MS drivers and their filenames must all be different from one-another, so that whenever a new controller is installed, the new files would not overwrite the existing ones, leading to lock-ups, BSOD and such.

If files need to be renamed, we rename them. If internal calls/dependencies must be renamed, we (try to) do that too.

But what we need most is a testbed, one or more persons that do have different controllers and spare machines to test on. Unfortunately, I don't. All my spare machines are Pentium I or II, with USB 1.1 at most and they lack either hard drive, RAM, videocard, PSU or other components. The only USB 2.0 add-on card I have is mounted in my day-to-day 98SE machine that never gets shut down. I already offered details on my experience with that machine and the two VIA controllers in it (the one on-board 1.1 and the 2.0 PCI add-on).

You may remove USB support in the Service Pack if you feel it creates difficulties, but more than that I guess people should become aware of the possible issues and start acting rationally, understand what they're doing, take preemptive measures such as back-up data and all and assume any risks coming from installing a package that - at least at this time - cannot be universally fit for each and every system out in the world.

Either way, when/if we come up with a (near) perfect solution, we can put back USB drivers in the package. But if so many people that would otherwise have no such issues, would not be able to benefit from the USB enhancement, I feel this may be a step down for the Service Pack. Now that is my personal opinion and nothing more, stated here for the record. PROBLEMCHYLD, you alone decide what to do.

I wish everybody here Happy Winter Holidays in good health! :thumbup

(minor typos, eh...)

Edited by Drugwash

My biggest problems with some testers is, when they have problems they don't look for solutions or work arounds. All of my USB controllers are Intel/Nec, so I understand where you are coming from. I also the love the fact that you are always mutual in your replies :thumbup I can understand some people not able to sacrifice their systems for whatever reasons, but what about the people who can? Is it that hard to back up a system, format the drive and do a clean install of win98 with the SP :huh: I do it all the time before a new release. If everything works fine, you can actually build off the new installation. Hey, that may be too much like right :unsure: I also feel removing USB drivers is a step backwards, but it also hinders us moving foward. I want the SP to be complete, in other words 10 years from now, a clean windows install with SP, one should have a fully updated system. I won't turn my back yet, but when it becomes a losing battle, I'll have to wave the flag :(

Well, some people can do certain things, others can't. Either they don't know how, they lack spare time, they're afraid or just can't afford to do it. We can't blame them for that, it's their life, their prerogative. Let's hope we do find someone who can.

I try to take every person as they are, with their good and bad. We're not all alike and we should understand that and be a little more resiliant to each-other, as long as we all have the same goal.

And beyond that, we can learn things even from an angry person's testimony, putting bad words aside and taking only what we need to help us fix or improve our work. Words are words, facts are more important. I've learned that, in time.

We'll see what future brings us. If only we stick together...

Well, some people can do certain things, others can't. Either they don't know how, they lack spare time, they're afraid or just can't afford to do it. We can't blame them for that, it's their life, their prerogative. Let's hope we do find someone who can.

I try to take every person as they are, with their good and bad. We're not all alike and we should understand that and be a little more resiliant to each-other, as long as we all have the same goal.

And beyond that, we can learn things even from an angry person's testimony, putting bad words aside and taking only what we need to help us fix or improve our work. Words are words, facts are more important. I've learned that, in time.

We'll see what future brings us. If only we stick together...

I beg to differ. The reason being, if you really want something done, you can do it. I wanted an updated SP, when nobody stepped up to the plate [i did] with you guys help. I did it because I love Win98. I didn't gain anything but a updated system, invested countless days and learned a new skill which I lacked but desired. If I had to do it all over again, I would, because I'm passionate. I don't make excuses, I make solutions. I have the drive, that anything I'm ambitious about, I'm going to succeed at it. Thats just me. If you aint willing to sacrifice something, then you will end up with nothing. A very big thank you Drugwash, because you have done more than just chipped in. :thumbup

Definitely, those of us that do have the guts to endeavour on a journey to a definite purpose on an unknown route, are most worthy to be praised. But as I said, not all people are alike, that's just the way it is. we all serve to a purpose in life, which may or may not be the one we ourselves or others expect.

I bow down before you and everyone else that had the power to do something good for the community, facing any adversity, in time. Myself I've tried and still trying to create good things for the people. Because it's much too easy to do wrong, bad things, it's almost natural. but to build, it's much harder and it needs a strong will and drive for that.

And we should all be thankful to all these people that brought us good things through their efforts. Thank you all! :thumbup

Definitely, those of us that do have the guts to endeavour on a journey to a definite purpose on an unknown route, are most worthy to be praised. But as I said, not all people are alike, that's just the way it is. we all serve to a purpose in life, which may or may not be the one we ourselves or others expect.

I bow down before you and everyone else that had the power to do something good for the community, facing any adversity, in time. Myself I've tried and still trying to create good things for the people. Because it's much too easy to do wrong, bad things, it's almost natural. but to build, it's much harder and it needs a strong will and drive for that.

And we should all be thankful to all these people that brought us good things through their efforts. Thank you all! :thumbup

If I get rich, I will be looking for you. I have the same love for you as my own flesh and blood. I consider you family and it will always be that way because of your kind words. We don't always agree, but together we will prosper :thumbup Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Thank you so much, I'm honoured. :blushing: The most important wealth for mankind is knowledge and love, everything else is less important. I'm already wealthy with such good people around. ;)

I know what you mean :w00t: The elders use to tell me I was young with an old soul. I know exactly what that means. They told me I was wise for my age even though I have a temper :realmad: lol