98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

@ dencorso

It's more complicated than that... USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 now works for me, too.

The only thing I can say for sure that changed between the time when it gave me the BSODs and now is that now I use RLoew's WDMEX.VxD, instead of WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6... :unsure:

And I get the analog results using yet another "Generic USB Hub" (USB 2.0, High Speed) from Genesys Logic (VID=0x05E3; PID=0x0608).

I'll also test USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 soon, but I bet it'll work, too... Question is, why are them working now? dubbio.gif

Also BTW, my machine's motherboard uses a VT8237 southbridge (part of which is a VT6212 USB controller).

If you can be so kind and do me a small favor if you have the time. I would like you to test USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 with and without WDMSTUB.SYS/WDMEX.VXD. Neither one is needed to run USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891, but it might help me pinpoint some problems and hopefully figure out a solution. Also if you find that the lastest version of WDMSTUB.SYS might be the culprit, can you try using a older version posted in your quote below.

There are four known compilations of WDMSTUB.SYS v. 5.0.0.6, AFAIK:

1) PE TIMESTAMP Wed Jun 11 22:05:16 2003 (3EE7D1CC), 20480 KiB, MD5 69309403061DD2953D402015B6E4EFB1 is a debug build compiled from the source provided with W. Oney's Service Pack 3 to the WDM book 2nd Ed. (released June 12, 2003);

2) PE TIMESTAMP Wed Sat Mar 15 09:16:46 2003 (3E7319AE), 11520 KiB, MD5 3AA89DDB2B5FE621E0EB11F9D1FFBD39 is a release build that comes with some Honeywell drivers;

3) PE TIMESTAMP Wed Thu May 22 10:55:15 2003 (3ECCD6C3), 11520 KiB, MD5 1D7284E0F3CB98A189F0AC17C3F13337 is a release build that comes with the Garmin USB GPS drivers;

4) PE TIMESTAMP Sun Sep 24 19:05:20 2006 (45170120), 12767 KiB, MD5 9AA0AEA685F135C9D1409F8E3E5ADD10 is a release build that comes with NUSB30e.

While the first three are functionally identical, despite being clearly different compilations, with some different optimizations, the fourth is an updated version that exports one more function. It is the one in general use and it is the most up to date one that I know of, and, of course, it shouldn't be versioned 5.0.0.6...

Thanks if you do and thanks if you don't :w00t:

I got a clean windows waiting on my laptop for some testing !

I'll send you a link once I finish packaging. Thanks

GUTILS.DLL 5.2.3790.0 Vista Platform SDK
SMCIRDA.INF
SMCIRDA.SYS 4.10.1999.5
WINDIFF.CHM Vista Platform SDK
WINDIFF.EXE 6.0.6000.16384 Vista Platform SDK

I have decided to leave the USB 1.x/USB 2.0 in SP3 :} My goal is to find a solution to the problem not cover it up. If we can barely get the USB 1.x/USB 2.0 drivers working properly, then we don't stand a chance @ USB 3.0, Windows Portable Devices (WPD), Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) and whatever newer technology comes our way. I've learned that the decision I have made will not suit everyone. I've also learned that removing the drivers will also no suit everyone. There is a win - lose situation here and since the majority is not having problems, I'm in their favor. I will add notice to users with VIA controllers. What I will do is continue to try and find a solution, since I don't have any VIA devices, it going to be a while.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I'm have been using nothing but Via 8237 chipsets. I'm not complaining just stating my experience - it not only affects USB but also COM ports and accessing other workgroup computer files on ethernet adapter. seems to create a break in the hardware communication across the board. with the network adapter- it keeps trying to access SP3 to install network files every time I change a gateway or other setting. After restoring system I did gain access to usb devices without the BSOD. Apparently restoring didn't overwrite the .inf file(s) from the service pack used to identify flash drive ect. So I'm happy with the way it is now.

I'm have been using nothing but Via 8237 chipsets. I'm not complaining just stating my experience - it not only affects USB but also COM ports and accessing other workgroup computer files on ethernet adapter. seems to create a break in the hardware communication across the board. with the network adapter- it keeps trying to access SP3 to install network files every time I change a gateway or other setting. After restoring system I did gain access to usb devices without the BSOD. Apparently restoring didn't overwrite the .inf file(s) from the service pack used to identify flash drive ect. So I'm happy with the way it is now.

The USB drivers also conflicts with my infrared devices. I will have to remove them until further notice. I can't even disable them from installing because new hardware will pull the newer files from the SP3 cab. I will just remove them completely. People are having problems with NUSB also. Sorry guys. The file DISKTSD.VXD from MDGx IOSYS98.EXE and DISKTSD.VXD from Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers have the same version number but different CRC32 hashes. This might be one of our problems. I will create a separate pack and call it Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition USB Stack 1.x + 2.x. I will also add the XBOX 360 USB drivers and remove them from the SP3. I'm removing SP3 links to avoid system BSODs. Thanks guys for testing :thumbup

I'm have been using nothing but Via 8237 chipsets. I'm not complaining just stating my experience - it not only affects USB but also COM ports and accessing other workgroup computer files on ethernet adapter. seems to create a break in the hardware communication across the board. With the network adapter- it keeps trying to access SP3 to install network files every time I change a gateway or other setting. After restoring system I did gain access to usb devices without the BSOD. Apparently restoring didn't overwrite the .inf file(s) from the service pack used to identify flash drive ect. So I'm happy with the way it is now.

That is normal behaviour for Windows 98 network setup in my experience.

It is very annoying but isn't a symptom of any problem AFAIK.

:)

That is normal behaviour for Windows 98 network setup in my experience.

It is very annoying but isn't a symptom of any problem AFAIK.

:)

I never witnessed this either but I did get BSODs on a clean install with my infrared device enabled. I know for a fact it was cause by files from USB drivers. And my IR is on COM. I was using Win98 only USB files not WinME or Win2000 files and still got the BSOD. I had to disable my IR device. I'm starting to think the USB drivers are NOT the problem but certain hardware using the resources thats needed by USB. I never had a reason until now to use my infrared and its conflicting with my other hardware. I think users are always going to have this problem. After some research and reading many posts, the problems lies with the hardware. This is why some of us get BSODs and some of us don't. We probably should start looking into how to patch the files. I can confirm BSODs with my infrared with all version of USB files, Win98, WinME, 2000, XP. It didn't matter. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Here is the list for Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition USB Stack 1.x + 2.x. It will be its own executable and will install with Main Updates to the Windows\System folder. You will have to manually run the file USBSTACK.EXE. I will either have it ready by the weekend or early sometime next week. If users have any problems with USBSTACK.EXE, please post in this forum because it is a counterpart of U98SESP3.x.

1394.INF
HIDCLASS.SYS 5.0.2195.6882
HIDDEV.INF
HIDPARSE.SYS 5.1.2600.5512
HIDUSB.SYS 5.1.2600.5512
HIDVKD.SYS 4.90.0.3000
NODRIVER.INF
OPENHCI.SYS 4.90.3000.0
UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.0
USB.INF
USB2.INF
USBAUTH.SYS 4.90.3000.0
USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.0
USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585
USBCDC.INF
USBDSC1.SYS 4.10.0.1998
USBDSC2.VXD 4.0.0.950
USBEHCI.SYS 5.0.2195.6882
USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006
USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891
USBMPHLP.PDR 4.90.3000.0
USBNTMAP.INF
USBNTMAP.SYS 4.90.0.3000
USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941
USBSER.SYS 5.1.2600.5512
USBSTOR.INF
USBSTOR.SYS 5.0.2195.6773
USBU2A.SYS 1.4.2.0
USBVIEW.EXE 5.1.2600.2180
WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6
X360C.INF
X360C.SYS 5.2.3790.1830
X360HORI.INF
X360MDCZ.INF
X360CCP.DLL 5.2.3790.1830
X360CFF.DLL 5.2.3790.1830
X360CSA.EXE 5.2.3790.1830

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I figured out the file that was causing BSODs and now have my Infrared and USB Devices working.

The culprit was USBD.SYS 4.10.0.2222/4.10.0.2226 and the only way to fix it was to replace the file with the Windows ME version. Everyone should take notice if using Infrared devices.

My only backup that involves that file was made on July 31st, 2011, when it was replaced by USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.1. However, almost an year earlier (Sept-Oct 2010) I've been operating a script built by myself which used to create a serial communication with another computer using the COM port(s). Never had any blue screens or other related errors, while USBD.SYS was still in its original 98SE version (4.10.2222), but it's also true I can't prove it was in any way involved in those operations. On the other hand, I can't remember having any issues with the ME version installed after July 2011 either. BlueSoleil bluetooth works, I can transfer files between my 98SE and the old Nokia 2630 phone.

Never had a standard IR device on any computer, dunno how it looks and operates, so I can neither confirm nor deny your experience. The only IR device I had on the 98SE machine was the remote control receiver connected to the K-World TV Tuner and for what it's worth, that thing used to work fine.

From what I see, the ME version of USBD.SYS lists ks.sys as additional dependency, besides NTOSKRNL.EXE and HAL.DLL. If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Loew had difficulties (better said, the impossibility of) using USB (wireless/bluetooth?) headphones while trying to use certain (this?) ks.sys-dependent ME library and no version of ks.sys has been of help. Looks like we may be heading towards another dilemma. (sorry for my bad memory, I may be mistaken more or less on this subject)

Off-topic: my bandwidth has been again capped down to ~12kB/s and disconnects every few minutes, so I may not be able to dowload 3.14 until the 20th-21st of this month, not from main server which does not support resume; it was at 25% moments ago and now it started from scratch - that's just wasted bandwidth on the server-side. :(

(another couple typos, as usual...)

Edited by Drugwash

I also think depending on what drivers and controllers one installs first plays a big part in this. (Time consuming trying multiple combinations) When I had my sound card problem due to the updated windows 98 files that LoneCrusader helped me fix. I had to install the sound card drivers after I had updated the system files. Another example is Windows 2000 version of USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.xxxx, it works with some VIA controllers while it doesn't work with others. In some cases, the files are problematic and in others its the hardware. I guess we will never have a universal fix. This is probably why TmEE and a few others witness BSODs and others didn't. If people have problems with their USB devices cause by SP3, they will have to find their own solution because I'm all out of ideas. I have separated the USB drivers from Main Updates, so it can only mean one thing, HARDWARE conflict :} Not all files are compatible with every type of hardware. YMMV :huh: