98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

that sounds great, I'm looking forward

hope i will find time for testing

I would also politely ask for an update of the readme.txt (usbstack.exe ...)

How is this?
Prerequites:

Minimum 64 MB of RAM for Main Updates.
160 MB free hard disk space for (ALL) updates.

Installation Guide: * = Optional.

A. Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
B. Install all the latest drivers for your hardware.
C. Install latest IE.*
D. Install latest DirectX.*
E. Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).*
F. Install USBSTACK.EXE inside the Windows\System\ directory if you want updated USB drivers.*
G. Remove all current USB/EHCI drivers + controllers from Device Manager in safe mode. REBOOT! (mandatory if you install USBSTACK.EXE)
H. Let all drivers redetect on startup. Plug in USB devices one at a time. If no new USB drivers have been added to Service Pack 3.x, then you only need to do this procedure (ONCE)!
I. If a BSOD occurs while updating USB devices, then users need to replace only the file USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 with older version USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11, then repeat step G. installation instruction.
J. Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
K. Install MS Office.*
L. Install KernelEx, 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack.*

Known Issuses + Solutions:

When removing USB drivers while in safe mode, you NEED to be using a PS/2 mouse or keyboard. USB mouse and keyboard drivers needs to be deleted also.

Some (Crystal CS423x) audio drivers are not compatible with Service Pack 3.x.
Remove sound drivers, install the Service Pack, re-install sound drivers.

Links:

http://exuberant.ms11.net
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/61749-98-se-sp-33/

Special Thanks:

Gape, MDGx, erpdude8, Petr, CLASYS, Tihiy, DuckDaffy, eGorZ, swgreed, hp38guser, safir, sybesma, ssmokee, HSI, Tarun, azagahl,DanyBoss, miko, eidenk, sleffing, Drugwash, rloew, dencorso, jds, Fredledingue, gerislamico, Nexus_06, loblo, bphlpt, jaclaz, LoneCrusader, and all other contributors!

Hi, Me again (USB Keyboard/Mouse not responding when installing SP3.xx)

MOBO on that PC died. Got a new 98 compatible MOBO as I have to keep using Win98. - AsRock 775i65G R3.0 - New build, by myself - So far, so good. I'm pretty impressed/happy !

Just have 1 question and and my personal installation findings/comments.

Q: Why is it mandatory to remove all USB stuff in Safe Mode after installing usbstack.exe (just personal curiosity)

Installation findings/comments: All installs were on a fresh formatted test 8 Gb partition. Win98SE and all factory drivers installed. No conflicts or unknown devices in Device Manager noted.

Installed main updates only & restarted. Then I installed usbstack.exe and rebooted. Quite by accident, F8 key did not bring up boot menu to boot to safe mode so I just decided to let it proceed to see what would happen.

New hardware was detected and installed. It was all USB stuff but I didn't write it/them down. When asked if I wanted to keep newer versions of files to replace, I always chose keep newer file. PS/2 mouse was still needed after a certain point.

When I rebooted, the only device not recognized or installed was HID mouse. I was able to update driver (in device manager) with a file in Windows/Inf folder. After reboot, SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS !!! Device manager was free of

conflicts and everything appears to work & FAST !. I'm still testing and have been using for many hours with no problem/issues so far. All my USB sticks are recognized & usable. Haven't tried any other USB devices yet.

I DO NOT recommend that anyone follow these/my procedures, they just my personal experiences. This same procedure also seemed to work on another PC of mine. ABIT NF7 w/AMD Anthlon CPU.

If you would like me to test any specific thing or make notes of a fresh install when updating to SP3 & usbstack, I'll see what I can do.

The only thing I happened to notice was the Win Key doesn't pop up the start menu. Win+E, Win+F, Win+R, etc. all work. This is no big deal & I don't know what the issue is. Just an FYI.

I think your about 99.9 % there.

1000 thank yous to you, PROBLEMCHYLD, & all your happy helpers/contributors ! YOU GUYS, (and or GALS) ARE THE BEST !!!

Rek67

After reboot, SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS !!! Device manager was free of

conflicts and everything appears to work & FAST !. I'm still testing and have been using for many hours with no problem/issues so far. All my USB sticks are recognized & usable.

Oh no! Not another user with increased system speed and stability. I shall remove all of the the updated files because they serve no purpose. They are just there taking up precious space :thumbup We can just do it the old fashion Microsoft way instead of the way of the geeks that we are. I'm waiting on at least two people to tell me their system has malfunctioned or slowed down due to updated files. Yes, I'm trolling and I have my reasons. When people learn how to stay in their own lane and get the hell out my way, then I won't have a reason to go at anyone. Thanks again ReK67 for testing and enjoy.

P.S

I hope the SP with all the updated files crashes everyone system that download it. Just kidding, I'm in a GOOD mood, so I thought I'll give you guys a hard time. Really though, enjoy and report any issues GOOD or BAD so I can fix them immediately.

Q: Why is it mandatory to remove all USB stuff in Safe Mode after installing usbstack.exe (just personal curiosity)

Some things can stay, some things must be removed, some things are redetected leaving unneeded Registry entries.

Determining which requires testing of every possible driver. This is not practical for a general purpose package.

It is much simpler to remove all of them cleanly.

Special situations, such as USB only Keyboard and Mouse, may require different handling, but that would not be part of a standard SP. At least not yet.

Some things can stay, some things must be removed, some things are redetected leaving unneeded Registry entries.

Determining which requires testing of every possible driver. This is not practical for a general purpose package.

Special situations, such as USB only Keyboard and Mouse, may require different handling, but that would not be part of a standard SP. At least not yet.

Thank you rloew for explaining it. I couldn't have done it better. :hello: Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Thank you rloew for explaining it. I couldn't have done it better. :hello:

Thank you too, rloew, for your explanation. I will make sure I do it proper on any future re-installs.

PROBLEMCHYLD:At first I thought you were beatin' me up a little bit with your reply, but I guess not, after reading all. I'm still a little new/nervous with posting to this topic. Wish I had the skills you folks possess, to contribute more but I do greatly appreciate all of your(s) work (I hope this quote works like it should. Still learning the ropes)

You folks are GREAT, & I'm luvin' my New & Improved 98 !!!

Thank you too, rloew, for your explanation. I will make sure I do it proper on any future re-installs.

PROBLEMCHYLD:At first I thought you were beatin' me up a little bit with your reply, but I guess not, after reading all. I'm still a little new/nervous with posting to this topic. Wish I had the skills you folks possess, to contribute more but I do greatly appreciate all of your(s) work (I hope this quote works like it should. Still learning the ropes)

You folks are GREAT, & I'm luvin' my New & Improved 98 !!!

Glad you understood and didn't take offense.

I have a question for users. Would you guys mind if I moved the Start up and Shutdown logos to Main Updates. The reason I'm asking is because they are the original with just Second Edition added to them. This will also speed up installation time when choosing multiple options. On a 850mhz with 512MB Ram, it takes SP four minutes flat to install all components except for Main Updates and MDAC.

Those logos are part of the personalization capabilities that MS seems to have "accidentally" slipped in, considering the later Windows versions. Personally, I could never stand the original logos, always changed them a.s.a.p. after installation.

Therefore, from my point of view, the logos should remain optional, as long as anyone could have already personalized them and they're not part of the core system (such as system libraries, drivers, etc). If something overwrote them without my knowledge and consent, I'd be quite... you know... ;)

Let's hear other opinions too.

Those logos are part of the personalization capabilities that MS seems to have "accidentally" slipped in, considering the later Windows versions. Personally, I could never stand the original logos, always changed them a.s.a.p. after installation.

Therefore, from my point of view, the logos should remain optional, as long as anyone could have already personalized them and they're not part of the core system (such as system libraries, drivers, etc). If something overwrote them without my knowledge and consent, I'd be quite... you know... ;)

Let's hear other opinions too.

Which is the reason I'm asking. I don't like things forcefully installed on my system either. All the software I use is broken down to necessities. I hate bloatware. Thats why more than 90% of SP is optional. Updating is on its last leg for the moment. When I release updates normally, I usually have more than two changes. This is a good thing. If KernelEx gets updates then I will update SP accordingly. Thanks for your feedback. I'll leave them optional. :ph34r:

It seems that adding MDAC 2.82 won't be that easy. It will require a lot of repacking and creating a new installer for it.

It seems like the 81 files from Win XP SP3 works well and are newer than MDAC 2.82 far as the date :w00t: I have been running them on my hybrid machine and they seem to be working well so far :yes:

12520437.CPX Windows XP SP3

12520850.CPX Windows XP SP3

ADCJAVAS.INC Windows XP SP3

ADCVBS.INC Windows XP SP3

ADOJAVAS.INC Windows XP SP3

ADOVBS.INC Windows XP SP3

CLICONF.CHM Windows XP SP3

CLICONFG.DLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

CLICONFG.EXE 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

CLICONFG.RLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

DBMSRPCN.DLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

DBNETLIB.DLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

DBNMPNTW.DLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

DRVVFP.CHM Windows XP SP3

DS16GT.DLL 3.510.3711.0 Windows XP SP3

DS32GT.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

HANDLER.REG Windows XP SP3

HANDSAFE.REG Windows XP SP3

INSTCAT.SQL Windows XP SP3

MSADCE.DLL 2.81.3010.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADCER.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADCF.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADCFR.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADCOR.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADCS.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADDS.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADDSR.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADER15.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSADRH15.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSCPXL32.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDADC.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAENUM.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAER.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAORA.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAORAR.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAOSP.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAPRSR.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAPRST.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAPS.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAREM.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAREMR.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDASC.CHM Windows XP SP3

MSDASC.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDASQL.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDASQLR.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDATL3.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDATSRC.TLB 9.1.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDATT.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDAURL.DLL 9.2.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDFMAP.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSDFMAP.INI Windows XP SP3

MSORC32R.DLL 2.575.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSORCL32.CHM Windows XP SP3

MSORCL32.DLL 2.575.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MSXACTPS.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

MTXDM.DLL 2001.12.4414.700 Windows XP SP3

MTXOCI.DLL 2001.12.4414.706 Windows XP SP3

ODBC16GT.DLL 3.510.3711.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBC32GT.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCAD32.EXE 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCCONF.EXE 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCCONF.RSP Windows XP SP3

ODBCCP32.CPL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCCP32.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCCR32.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCCU32.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCINST.CHM Windows XP SP3

ODBCINT.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

ODBCTRAC.DLL 3.525.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

OLEDB32R.DLL 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

OLEDBJVS.INC Windows XP SP3

OLEDBVBS.INC Windows XP SP3

SIMPDATA.TLB 2.81.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

SQLOLEDB.RLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

SQLSODBC.CHM Windows XP SP3

SQLSOLDB.CHM Windows XP SP3

SQLSRV32.RLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

SQLUNIRL.DLL 2000.80.728.0 Windows XP SP3

SQLXMLX.DLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

SQLXMLX.RLL 2000.85.1132.0 Windows XP SP3

VFPODBC.DLL 1.0.2.0 Windows XP SP3

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

• 3 weeks later...

3.17 in a few days :thumbup

BERLING.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

BERLINGB.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

BERLINGI.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

BERLINGZ.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

BKDINGS.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

CTRAS.DLL 0.2.0.3 Microsoft Reader 2.1.1 (Microsoft Cleartype)

CAMBRIA.TTF Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack

CAMBRIAM.TTF Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack

FRUTBD.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

FRUTIGER.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

FRUTIT.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

FRUTZ.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is now optional

MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5701 Windows XP SP3

Microsoft FrontPage Express 2.0

PDH.DLL 4.0.1314.1 Windows NT

Updated LTYPE.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1

Updated LTYPEB.TTF Microsoft Reader 2.1.1