98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

As requested, here are some sample of the "START" with "Second Edition" added. Please specify font and color preference. I can probably use any font or color you like, but it would be most helpful if you can provide a sample with exact name of font and/or color or color code number, (since I'm a little color blind).

I've used Black (Almost impossible to see against the dark Blue), Red and White, with font choices of Ariel, Corbel, and Sans, just to get us started.

I can manipulate both character spacing and the slide the text around as necessary, but I think the font size of 16 is about right to my eyes.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers and Regards

post-139042-0-94689200-1361658226_thumb.

post-139042-0-35041500-1361658227_thumb.

post-139042-0-75451100-1361658227_thumb.

post-139042-0-05891300-1361658228_thumb.

post-139042-0-39058400-1361658228_thumb.

post-139042-0-73253200-1361658228_thumb.

post-139042-0-04799300-1361658229_thumb.

post-139042-0-38926700-1361658229_thumb.

post-139042-0-73239500-1361658229_thumb.

The JPG format is of no use for this particular purpose, especially being lossy - the format must be BMP, since it has to be hacked into explorer.exe as the BITMAP resource with ID 157.

Another thing is that the gradient should be calculated so that the bitmap viewed in 4bpp (in situations where video driver is missing or inappropriate) would not "split" the first word or otherwise look unaesthetical.

One other detail, albeit minor, would be resource 161, which is loaded in Safe Mode instead of resource 157. That's a grey-shaded image, much shorter than 157, but nevertheless it could be hacked into showing Second Edition somehow.

I've played with res 157 a few days ago but never got to post the results. Banner3.bmp would be the best bet, since it's the only one that takes into account the 4bpp aspect.

Here you are: download.

I like your versions much better than mine. LOL

I was just editing a jpg that PROBLEMCHYLD posted. But you look like you have a much more appropriate solution.

Cheers and Regards

I really like Drugwash version, its really nice, but I LOVE the red color bphlpt added to Second Edition. Please guys work with me. Combine your talents :thumbup Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

There's an .ico file inside my package that contains intermediary versions. Those can be worked on. There's also a blank gradient but it's not the proper 4bbp one. I took it from scratch, because I just couldn't find the fonts and tools to accurately replicate the original version.

I'll try to play with more colors and fonts, but right now I'm working on that Delta patcher, I'd like to release a working version soon.

There's an .ico file inside my package that contains intermediary versions. Those can be worked on. There's also a blank gradient but it's not the proper 4bbp one. I took it from scratch, because I just couldn't find the fonts and tools to accurately replicate the original version.

I'll try to play with more colors and fonts, but right now I'm working on that Delta patcher, I'd like to release a working version soon.

No rush buddy. I have been working on WinME SP3 beta. I'm trying to figure out things. ATM, I have a little free time, it could be gone by tomorrow. :ph34r:

I'll leave things in Drugwash's capable hands unless he specifically asks for help. The red I used was just a simple #FF0000, while the red I used in the SP3 icons was #800000. I don't know which would look better or which PROBLEMCHYLD would prefer. I'm color blind so don't ask me. LOL

Cheers and Regards

Believe me, there's so much on my hands that I just can't decide where to start from! :D I've been lazy for so long. Please, you can always come up with any new combinations and you (or anybody else, for that matter) may definitely use the intermediary files in my pack as you like. Besides, you may have way more fonts installed than I do. And two visions are always better than one. ;)

I sure hope there are others who know a heck of a lot more about graphics than I do. :)

The JPG format is of no use for this particular purpose, especially being lossy - the format must be BMP, since it has to be hacked into explorer.exe as the BITMAP resource with ID 157.

Another thing is that the gradient should be calculated so that the bitmap viewed in 4bpp (in situations where video driver is missing or inappropriate) would not "split" the first word or otherwise look unaesthetical.

One other detail, albeit minor, would be resource 161, which is loaded in Safe Mode instead of resource 157. That's a grey-shaded image, much shorter than 157, but nevertheless it could be hacked into showing Second Edition somehow.

I've played with res 157 a few days ago but never got to post the results. Banner3.bmp would be the best bet, since it's the only one that takes into account the 4bpp aspect.

Here you are: download.

I assume that 4bpp means 4 bits per pixel, (meaning 16 color mode I guess?), but I have no idea how to apply that to the gradient or how to force viewing in that mode to see how it looks. But if no one else volunteers, then I'll give it a try, but no guarantees!

Cheers and Regards

I don't know much about anything, but I'm very ambitious when I really wanna do something. ;)

Yes, 4bpp means four bits per pixel, equal to 16 colors. Depending on your image editor, there may be an option to change color depth with/out dithering. After creating the blank image and applying the gradient, add the 'Windows' text, then you may duplicate the original file (for safety) and change color depth to 4bpp, see how it looks. Certain tools allow application of the gradient only on a user-defined area, the rest being filled with the two basic colors that make the gradient. Changing the location (and width) of this area will change the border between the two colors, in 4bpp mode. It just needs trial and error.

However, this is not a crucial requirement at all, just trying to avoid the nitpickers that are always out there, lurking in the shadows. :D

EDIT:

Here's some new artwork I managed to crop up: download

There's both resource 157 and 161 in there, plus the full intermediary version set in the icon file.

Fonts used: Impact, Arial Narrow, Haettenschweiler, Tahoma

Colors: #FFFFFF, #FF2E2E, #C0C0C0, #808080

Gradient: #010080 -> #0000F6

Enjoy!

Edited by Drugwash

There you are: download

It may be one pixel off to the right or something, I had to rebuild it from scratch because the alpha blending doesn't always work identically and there would've been some white trails left. And well, I had already forgotten which font I used for that version (it was Arial Narrow, Bold, 14). Yep, absent-minded, that's me! :blushing: