• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Gape

98 SE SP 3.32

2,361 posts in this topic

Also I need someone to help me convert this reg file to inf format. I posted in another topic but no replies.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]
"AutoRun"="set comspec=c:\\windows\\command\\cmd.exe"
"PathCompletionChar"=0x00000009
"CompletionChar"=0x00000009
;

Just one suggestion, looking at that reg file.

My Windows 98SE installation is not in the default C:\Windows location, it is in C:\WIN-98 on my system.

For the service pack to take customised installations into account, would it not be better to use environment variables, e.g. in this case %windir%\command\cmd.exe?

:)

Just one suggestion, looking at that reg file.

My Windows 98SE installation is not in the default C:\Windows location, it is in C:\WIN-98 on my system.

For the service pack to take customised installations into account, would it not be better to use environment variables, e.g. in this case %windir%\command\cmd.exe?

:)

You have a point. Either way I need it converted to inf format.

P.S

Does SP3 installs to any directory, I only use the default?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

You know my style: "don't give'em fish - teach'em how to catch the fish". ;)

Therefore, here's detailed information on inf files structure; should teach you how to add/modify sections.

Additional information (albeit being specific to Windows 2000) can be found here.

Remember to use predefined variables for paths (see %25% below).

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=RegEntries

[RegEntries]
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Command Processor, "AutoRun", ,"%25%\command\cmd.exe"
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Command Processor, "PathCompletionChar", 1, 0x00000009
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Command Processor, "CompletionChar", 1, 0x00000009

darn typos...

Edited by Drugwash

Updated :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

YES :thumbup

Sweet! Of course I forgot to ask, export (saving) too?

Edited by Steven W

Updated :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

:w00t: Updated :thumbup Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

As per the mod's clsing

"MDGx's 98SE2ME is not a "service pack" type of project. That's why it is categorized under "Enhancements, Replacements + Transformation Packs".

XP files are sometimes included in these packages because they have been found to work in 98SE, and are more updated than its ME equivalent if there is one.

These questions should go in the 98 SE SP 3.0 BETA 4 thread. I think we should start moving the discussion over there since most of this is about Gape's/PROBLEMCHYLD's Service Pack. "

what about sporific's? what about summary of each of these major SPs. is "98 SE SP 3.0 BETA 4" anything like sporifici's?

Quoting myself from the other thread, "For Windows 98 SE, the main unofficial packages are Soporific's Auto-Patcher and Gape's Service Pack... There are others but these are the most comprehensive." In terms of their contents, they're not exactly the same. There was overlap, but PROBLEMCHYLD's recent updates makes Gape's Service Pack more complete now. At the end of the day, whichever pack you choose is up to you.

At the end of the day, whichever pack you choose is up to you.

Thanks that makes a bit more since to me now. I know updates stopped in 06 so i'm guessing they both fix and add ton of stuff, soporific's made my head spin there was so much stuff added and patched.

Edited by cdoublejj

You know my style: "don't give'em fish - teach'em how to catch the fish". ;)

Therefore, here's detailed information on inf files structure; should teach you how to add/modify sections.

Additional information (albeit being specific to Windows 2000) can be found here.

Remember to use predefined variables for paths (see %25% below).

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=RegEntries

[RegEntries]
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Command Processor, "AutoRun", ,"%25%\command\cmd.exe"
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Command Processor, "PathCompletionChar", 1, 0x00000009
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Command Processor, "CompletionChar", 1, 0x00000009

darn typos...

Thank you for your attempt to help me fix my issue, but your method did not work.

What the registry entries above does is creates a duplicate entry, and that is not suppose to happen.

What do you mean by "duplicate entry"? AFAIK, there can be no two identical registry entries in the same location. And if the same entries were already created by other package(s), that's completely out of our hand. Anyway, you wanted the respective registry values created and I offered a method to create them. If there's something wrong, then by all means, please elaborate.

They're *not* duplicates! One is "Command Processor" with a space between the words, the other is "CommandProcessor", without the space.

I think that the latter is the mistaken one, which, BTW, must come from some .reg or .inf you added, which has the lack of a space between the words "Command" and "Processor".

They're *not* duplicates! One is "Command Processor" with a space between the words, the other is "CommandProcessor", without the space.

I think that the latter is the mistaken one, which, BTW, must come from some .reg or .inf you added, which has the lack of a space between the words "Command" and "Processor".

I agree, but it only happens when I used Drugwash method.

My bad for not testing the .inf script before posting, but part of the guilt goes to Microsoft for not mentioning that the rule of "Quoting strings that contain spaces" also applies to subkeys.

The following should work correctly:

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=RegEntries

[RegEntries]
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor", "AutoRun", ,"%25%\command\cmd.exe"
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor", "PathCompletionChar", 1, 0x00000009
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor", "CompletionChar", 1, 0x00000009

Thanks Drugwash, its fix now. Now we must go to stage 2. Look @ the reg entries.

There is nothing wrong with your method now except you don't have "set comspec"=" and "CompletionChar" with dword value of 9.

Can you add these to your inf. Also "PathCompletionChar" can be removed. Thanks

REGEDIT4 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]
"AutoRun"="set comspec=C:\\WINDOWS\\COMMAND\\CMD.EXE"
"CompletionChar"=dword:00000009

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun]
"set comspec"="C:\\WINDOWS\\COMMAND\\CMD.EXE"
"CompletionChar"=dword:00000009
;

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Also "PathCompletionChar" can be removed. Thanks

WHY? :unsure:

AFAICU they are two DIFFERENT settings:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978715.aspx

CompletionChar

Specifies a character that activates the filename completion feature in the command processor (Cmd.exe).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940805.aspx

PathCompletionChar

Specifies a character that activates the directory name completion feature in the command processor (Cmd.exe).

I mean, on the other (linked to thread) there is NO definite answer, HOW can you suggest using those settings (and not ither ones)?

Have you tested all possibilities?

It is just a "test" to see what happens with the specific settings you suggested?

Or what?

:huh::blink:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Also "PathCompletionChar" can be removed. Thanks

WHY? :unsure:

Because these 2 links didn't mention using it. So I assumed it was an obsolete entry. But if you think it should stay then its

not a problem.

http://www.infionline.net/~wtnewton/batch/w95cpost.txt

It is just a "test" to see what happens with the specific settings you suggested?

Or what?

:huh::blink:

jaclaz

Yes it just a test, I'm trying to figure out the best results.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I'm not sure a value called "set comspec" would be correct (or required) but - all the same:

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=RegEntries

[RegEntries]
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor", "AutoRun", ,"set comspec=%25%\command\cmd.exe"
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor", "CompletionChar", 0x00010001, 0x00000009
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor", "PathCompletionChar", 0x00010001, 0x00000009
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun", "set comspec", ,"%25%\command\cmd.exe"
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun", "CompletionChar", 0x00010001, 0x00000009

Note the field type 0x00010001 which is not mentioned on that .inf definition MS page I linked to and is the one responsible for creating DWORD values,

as opposed to 1 which creates BINARY values. :(

I put back "PathCompletionChar"; can be commented out through a semicolon, if needed.

Edited by Drugwash

Thank you Drugwash. You have gotten me one step closer to a final build :thumbup:w00t::lol:

Hello, today MDGx has added new updates: http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

VBVM60: Unofficial Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6) SP6 32-bit Runtime Library MSVBVM60.DLL 6.0.9821 and

TTFPAK: Added 60 TTFs (new total: 127) from Publisher 98 Extra Euro Enabled Fonts, some fonts newer than in the Service Pack.

With these, the SP will be more updated.

Bye.

Mcv'93

Hello, today MDGx has added new updates: http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

VBVM60: Unofficial Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6) SP6 32-bit Runtime Library MSVBVM60.DLL 6.0.9821 and

TTFPAK: Added 60 TTFs (new total: 127) from Publisher 98 Extra Euro Enabled Fonts, some fonts newer than in the Service Pack.

With these, the SP will be more updated.

Bye.

Mcv'93

Thank you! I already added them. New and final build sometime this week, if its the Lord's Will. :thumbup:lol::w00t::sneaky: