Gape

98 SE SP 3.32

2,361 posts in this topic

Oh, please forgive my Swiss (as in swiss-cheese) memory, Gape. :) Was just trying to help.

Thing is, my system has a lot of ME, 2000, XP, 2003 files - whatever makes it roll without hiccups. :)

Dunno if anyone (MS especially) would care anymore. As much as we strive, we 9x users are a dying breed anyway...

I think including a USB driver like NUSB 3.3 would make your Service Pack complete.

- Official and Unofficial Win98SE updates / fixes

- Native USB Storage Device Support

- Copy files larger than 2GB

- Use Hard Disks Bigger than 137GB

It would be the ultimate and only patch 90% of Win98 users would need.

I'm all for you including NUSB :thumbup

I disagree with the 'kitchensink' approach. While many people may end up installing both, I think NUSB is a different product, and it should be handled accordingly. Makes testing and maintenance simpler, methinks.

I don't want everything added, but I really do think USB support would go along way towards making 98SESP the ultimate update and provides a feature most people would add anyway. It also makes it a simple option for Win98SE noobs. One patch that basically does the lot.

I wouldn't recommend adding too many other updates. But this one I think is highly beneficial. Even make it option on installation of the Service Pack.

I would love to hear what other think.

MD makes a great patch, there is no need for Gape to duplicate his work. Installing the NUSB patch seperately is not hard at all for the user to do. I think Gape should stick to OS only updates. If you want a patch that includes everything, there is already the 9x autopatcher by sophorific

EDIT: I almost forgot, Gape has a strict no windows ME policy. There are a lot of files that are from windows ME in NUSB.

Edited by blackwire

MD makes a great patch, there is no need for Gape to duplicate his work. Installing the NUSB patch seperately is not hard at all for the user to do. I think Gape should stick to OS only updates. If you want a patch that includes everything, there is already the 9x autopatcher by sophorific

EDIT: I almost forgot, Gape has a strict no windows ME policy. There are a lot of files that are from windows ME in NUSB.

Good guy though he is, soporific puts a lot of unneeded "xtras" in and I have to waste a lot of time removing them.

Agree. Gapes Service pack in comparison is lean and mean. USB support would just give it a crucial feature that I'd assume most users would appreciate.

Beta 2 is released. Have fun ! :)

Test results:

* Freshly installed Win98 SE: OK.

* Freshly installed Win98 SE and IE 6.0 SP1: OK.

* Freshly installed Win98 SE, IE 6.0 SP1 and UberSkin: OK.

I have Win98 SE, IE 6.0 SP1, and a mixture of RP7 and Renovatio. I hope it will be OK too. Ah, do I need to uninstall the previous pack, 98 SE SP 3.0 beta 1 before installing the new one?

Thanks for upgrading your pack, Gape.

Since I've installed some updates before this pack, there were some newer files recommended to be kept; they are dispex.dll, jscript.dll, scrobj.dll, scrrun.dll, vbscript.dll, wshext.dll, and wshom.ocx. Hopefully I typed them correctly! I don't know why this pack is not on the list of Add/Remove. And I also have to reinstall KernelEx033b so that the Calculator works proper again. That's all. No more serious problems to tell now.

So far, no problems on a litePC 98SE testbox that has Internet Explorer removed. Working good.

Rick

:thumbup Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hi there Celtish

Many Thanks, for the link to your download location for 98se Beta 2.

I have, unfortunately, never had any success whatsoever trying to download anything from Rapidshare.

Gape's packages have always been excellent stuff and trouble free, at least for me, so I

cant wait to install hie Beta2 package. Thanks once again.

Tee Charoen