98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

What does" Back for good " mean if the last time Gape was around was June 24th. If he is ill or has personal problems we can all feel for him and wait. If he is tired or given up then maybe he should let us know it is time for him to move on. He certainly deserves much credit and thanks for all his work. I personally hope that he will finish 3.0 and go out with Glory.

Gape your 98SESP3 is very good but

1.Can you remove ASPI files they are 3rd party (although optional)

2.Can you remove IE5 files because some of us don't use IE5

Can you remove IE6 files because some of us don't use IE6

Some of us might not use IE at all and having them files don't benefit all of us

IMO, what is optional shouldn't be removed but maybe not selected by default.

IE files should be there bycause of the strong interconnection between IE and Windows, but it can be a good idea to make them optional too.

We are all looking forward for seeing you back for good, for good Gape! ;)

Trying to figure out the exact cause but installing any form of the USP (2.0a, 3.0b2/3) causes GameGuard/theMida to fail when loading the online game 'mabinogi'. Installing kernelex or rp causes no issues, it's only on the installation of the uSP that causes it (even as the first install on a fresh install of 98). it only happens with the installation of the Main Updates.

Trying to go through some of the files and narrow down what it could be but I haven't any idea where exactly to start other than working file by file individually.

edit: Updating kernel32.dll from 4.10.2222 causes the following error with mabinogi gameguard/theMida:

Themida

An internal exception occurred (Address: 0xc8f9d4)

Please, contact support@oreans.com. Thank you!

Restoring kernel32.dll to 4.10.2222 resolves this issue. Could be either a block on version number or an incompatibility with its gameguard w/ kernel32.dll v4.10.2225 . I doubt it being a checksum check as its gameguard/themida has nothing against kernelex being installed....

Another issue with gameguard/theMidas was resolved and linked to the following thread for completeness:

98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=787902

Edited by Chozo4

• 1 month later...

@Gape

New GDIPLUS.DLL MS08-052 KB938464 security updates have been released. I have version 5.1.3102.5581 of the GDIPLUS.DLL file which should work with Win98se. Let me know if you need it in the next beta or RC release of the 98se service pack.

The old GDI+ redistributable download is no longer available and Microsoft has posted a new GDI+ redist package which requires Win2000 or higher to view its contents and/or extract its files.

-erpdude

Edited by erpdude8

Great work as usual on B3, but I think there are a few more patches that could be added.

After running SP3B3 on a fresh W98SE + IE6 install. windowsupdate came up with the following list of missing patches:

- Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB918439)

- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB916281)

- Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)

- Security Update for Flash Player (KB913433)

I know some people will argue that IE6 and OE6 is not part of 98SE, but I think they should be included in the SP, maybe selectable by a checkbox for those who don't want it.

Thanx,

aur

:blushing: I've tried every conceavable and unbios-ed and bios-ed way to use SESP3.0B3;B U T it does not work on 9 different 98Se Fully updated MoBo's with 9 different cpu's,memram,powersupply and type of Motherboard ...especially  IF i add new mdiecu23e and mdcu305 and a backdoor shows up in CAYahoo spysweeper and removes it then MoBo and 98SE goes totally ""WHACK-O""and no start up or nuthin' runs right???***But with-out using SESP3.0B3 and "Prefer to use SESP2.1a  Anyways!=All system installs are totally functional with Kex 0.3.2a-0.3.5e help or not.(hmmmmmm?...no files to show as MoBo's will not function in dos nor windows?-Until Erase Disk then Full install without SESP3.0.b..3) :blink: thanks :hello:

• 3 weeks later...

HTHs Gape I use a 400 mhz laptop pentium 2 and when I first installed win 98se it was really slow. :angry:

When realised that the cpu could not be oc'd, since its a pain-in-the-arse with an intel 440 chipset i figured i was

outta luck! :realmad: But when I came upon MSFN.....ahem...I mean, this is...AWESOME!!! hehe :):thumbup

If theres a feature you should add is, system restore a-la win xp!! Hell yeah!! :thumbup I defenalty think windows 98se

users would want this but It would have to support a small footprint just to be on the safe side. What do you think Gape?

Is it possible? :blink:

HTHs Gape I use a 400 mhz laptop pentium 2 and when I first installed win 98se it was really slow. :angry:

When realised that the cpu could not be oc'd, since its a pain-in-the-arse with an intel 440 chipset i figured i was

outta luck! :realmad: But when I came upon MSFN.....ahem...I mean, this is...AWESOME!!! hehe :):thumbup

If theres a feature you should add is, system restore a-la win xp!! Hell yeah!! :thumbup I defenalty think windows 98se

users would want this but It would have to support a small footprint just to be on the safe side. What do you think Gape?

Is it possible? :blink:

Window ME has SystemRestore and it even works exactly ( after the one and only critical update for that date bug ) like in xp :thumbup . So I don't see the point in porting such a feature to 98.

ME in my opinion is the sweeter 9x system, think you have systemrestore, moviemaker and media goodies, better usb and wdm driver support plus the networking stack of win2000 and what not. The OS role is the same as xp home edition, e.g. mediatainment OS

I don't understand all the people that say how unstable me was/is, because i have never experienced that and I used it years long.

ME needs more "modern" hardware and best sounddevices(including modem) with wdm drivers available, if bios is ACPI compliant even better ( sleep/resume/standby works perfect especially for laptops if you set me up with acpi forced ).

In general i tend to say a pc which is theoretically xp-capable ( PII 300/366/400 , 128 -256 Ram, ACPI ) would be the perfect ME candidate and run pretty fast - while it would struggle slow with xp on it.