• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Gape

98 SE SP 3.32

2,361 posts in this topic

soporific's Autopatcher produces very comprehensive logs of its actions, and that is based completely on batch files of course.

:)

Indeed it was indeed Autopatcher I was thinking of, when I wrote UBCD. Thanks for the input, I corrected my post above.

Yes, it is batch-driven, but that man knew his way around them. Is anybody else up to par with soporific în this regard?

Your plan is solid. So, let's do the once-over on the hardware, to be able to take it out of our minds.

I'd say:

-- test the drive for errors and let HDAT2 fix them if found

-- report results of the test

then

-- perform a 24h memtest86+

-- report results of the test

if both find no issue, let's move on to a controlled reinstall, with detailed notes taken.

It's a great thing you've made an image of the plain-vanilla install beforehand, so you may just redeploy it, instead of installing from scratch. Besides being much faster, it ensures all repetitions will be from the exact same starting point! :thumbup

Okay -- here are the test results --------

The short version is the hard drive and memory both check out with no errors, as I suspected.

I'll wait a little while to hear what the best recommendations are for my next action, but I think I already know what it will be.

(I'm using the "Code" style to display everything in straight tabular format to make it easier to read.)

First part of test page = HDAT2 V4.91b
Second part of test page = Memtest86+ v4.20 (24+ hour run)
(as of 08/10/2012 @ 07:00 GMT)

==========================================================
First part of test page

HDAT2 V4.91b Drive = ST32140A

Detect with read: pass 1 = 100% [2.11 GB]
Number of sectors: Tested = 4127760 Elapsed time: 00:16:24.026

Command Errors:
1. Read = 0 blocks
0 sectors

-----------------------------

Detect with verify: pass 1 = 100% [2.11 GB]
Number of sectors: Tested = 4127760 Elapsed time: 00:08:46.051

Command Errors:
1. Verify = 0 blocks
0 sectors

-----------------------------

Detect with read/read/compare: pass 1 = 100% [2.11 GB]
Number of sectors: Tested = 4127760 Elapsed time: 00:16:24.038

Command Errors:
1. Read = 0 blocks
0 sectors
2. Read = 0 blocks
0 sectors
3. Compare = 0 blocks
0 sectors

Second part of test page

Memtest86+ v4.20
Celeron (0.13) 2394 MHz
L1 Cache: 8K 17348 MB/s
L2 Cache: 128K 15152 MB/s
L3 Cache: None
Memory : 1022M 1694 MB/s
Chipset : Intel i848/i865 (ECC : Disabled) - FSB : 99 Mhz - Pat : Enabled
Settings: RAM : 133 MHz (DDR266) / CAS : 2-2-2-6 / Dual Channel (128 bits)

WallTime Cached RsvdMem MemMap Cache ECC Test Pass Errors ECC Errs
-------- ------ ------- -------- ----- --- ---- ---- ------ --------
24:01:40 1022M 12K e820 on off Std 42 0

• Now, on to the quality of my installation, and the possibility that I selected options I shouldn't have.
  • I suspect I'll have to wipe the drive, push the original data back onto it, and make sure everything runs as before.
  • Then I'll try to find a means to establish a "basis" for that configuration using a tool such as Sisoft Sandra, based on a recommendation from a friend of mine.
  • He also mentioned "Winternals", which I haven't looked up yet, to attempt a logging of activities during the SP3.4 install. I have some reading to do.
  • After that I'll start the SP3.4 installation process noting which options I've selected. I'll need to preview what those selections are, because I'm not sure if I need everything there, the "core" IE files notwithstanding since I'm not running a "slim" version of '98SE (98Lite).
  • I'll document the options I believe I need to select, but I'm weary of choosing things unless I know what effect they'll have or what benefit, if any, I'll see afterward.
  • During the install process I'll note any messages that come up, but things are moving fairly quickly, so I may not be able to write things down as quickly as they flash by.
  • Any error messages will be noted before I click on any "OK" buttons.
  • After that ???

Problemchyld, if you need a Beta-tester for future updates after all this is done and working, then I'll gladly toss my hat into the ring.

Ultimately I'd like for the installation process to be so smooth even someone dumber than me -- and that's saying a lot -- can click on "Install" and be confident everything will do what they expect without having to know all the bits and bytes -- like you experts do.

Thanks for your help, Guys.

Again, Problemchyld, thanks for all your hard work. I'm not kidding when I say I appreciate it.

Edited by Laser98IX

Here's an article that includes several links to useful tips related to the reboot/shutdown issue: link

Here is the MS KB 187607 explaining how to disable fast reboot in registry: link

After I read through the suggestions in that first link (great stuff, by the way) up to Step Thirteen I remembered the BOOTLOG function. I did a reboot as suggested, saved the BOOTLOG.TXT file, and found two "Failed" entries. They are:

[0001CEB4] Loading Vxd = ndis2sup.vxd
[0001CEB3] LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd

[0001D4CC] INITCOMPLETE = SDVXD
[0001D4CD] INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SDVXD

I'm not sure if these are significant, but I wanted to make sure I provided everything I could before going through the drive-wipe procedure.

Any other suggestions before I wipe/reload/re-install would be eagerly accepted.

I'm definitely saving all those recommendations to my own archive. I'll also read through and check off everything that is mentioned, but it's kinda late, so maybe I'll do that during the day on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks, Drugwash.

Edit: Bootlog.txt deleted -- not needed.

Edited by Laser98IX

You're welcome!

Please read here for more details on the load failures you mentioned.

It's a good thing to have the boot log enabled during SP installation, it may offer clues as to what may fail in case of a hung boot sequence.

You're welcome!

Please read here for more details on the load failures you mentioned.

It's a good thing to have the boot log enabled during SP installation, it may offer clues as to what may fail in case of a hung boot sequence.

Understood. Essentially not related to a real "problem" so they will be ignored. I'll delete the attachment in the previous post.

I will engage the BOOTLOG during the SP3.4 install when the machine attempts to reboot.

Again, thanks.

IIRC if you add "DisableLog=0" into the [options] section of your MSDOS.SYS file you will always log on every boot, without having to enable it manually every time.

:)

Here's what I need you to do.

1. Install Win98 on a clean install.

2. Install all your drivers.

3. Install SP3.4.

4. Follow the instructions for USB 2.0.

5. Report back to the forum.

Thanks you

3. Install SP3.4.

Thanks you

Very well. I will accede to your extended experience with Win98SE, the USP3.4, and many other facets of programming.

Rather than push a mirror of an existing (and working) install of '98SE from an exact duplicate of the hardware (except for the hard drive) onto my test drive I'll format it, do a cold and clean install from the '98SE CD, and then follow your remaining instructions.

However, since I don't know which of the options in the SP3.4 install are truly beneficial to me and my configuration I'll have to do yet more reading to confirm what each line item is for and if it's needed in my installation. I hope to have all this done by either late Saturday 08/11/2012 or Sunday the 12th.

I'll report which options I've selected, will follow your instructions, and report back after all this is done. That should give you guys a few days of peace and quiet. :whistle:

Rather than push a mirror of an existing (and working) install of '98SE from an exact duplicate of the hardware (except for the hard drive) onto my test drive I'll format it, do a cold and clean install from the '98SE CD, and then follow your remaining instructions.

After you finish Step #2, do create an image and save it (if at all possible, burn it to a DVD). This way, if you do not like the result of your 1st uSP install, or if you decide you should have picked different options, you can start over from the same exact point, without having to reinstall Windows and the drivers all over again.

I want to install Office 97 after USP 3.4. I'm interesting will Office 97 overwrite new system files installed by USP 3.4 with old files?

The SP3.4 update was installed on my test machine with no installation problems. There was a single red "error" screen that was displayed at the end of the install having to do with "INF Tool Failure", but the exact message escapes me at the moment.

I was able to reproduce the error on a clean install. Not sure what causes it but I'm looking into it ATM. Thanks

Edit: Misinformation :huh:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I was able to reproduce the error on a clean install. Not sure what causes it but I'm looking into it ATM. Thanks

I have found the problem. New version somtime this week.

I have found the problem. New version somtime this week.

Excellent. Then something positive has come from my attempt so far. I'll wait to install the SP3.4 until after I see the update. I've got work to do before that anyway.

@Problemchyld, a question: Is there a resource on this site, or others, that details what each of the selection check-boxes are for or will include in the SP3.4 install?

Because of the significance of the changes, and the depth with which the O/S is altered and improved, someone with a lot less experience than most of the experts here who's doing the install needs to have a clearer understanding of why they're choosing each of the options on that single screen. I know providing reader help files is no trivial activity, because I've written or audited my fair share of them. If there is something I can do to make that process easier I'm willing to help by taking technical jargon and turning it into plain English for non-programmers like me. That puts me in the hot-seat for making something really great a little better. As I've eluded to before, I've spent the better part of ten years interfacing between hardware and software designers, engineers, programmers, manufacturing technicians, and those who buy and use what those talented people have created.

However, if I need to just hunker down and do a lot of reading on my own, or just select different things and take my chances, then I'll do that. As I said I have some time, but I don't think it's wise for me to re-learn everything that everyone else here has just to take advantage of your mental wizardry. No, I'm not lazy, but I'm not a programmer, and sometimes reading through forum after forum trying to glean everything I can, and the most pertinent points, makes my head spin. I assume most of the people on this site, or those who've taken the time to do the install, are probably more familiar with programming or software than I am. That leaves me at a significant disadvantage. Still, many of the "experts" here have helped other novices before, so .........

I'm at the point where I've got two complete test machines, plus the original completely installed full-use machine, set aside with a basic installation of Win98SE. Some of the drivers are already loaded, I've tried to change very little, if anything, so they're neutral and "plain" configurations, and both of those test machines boot fine in about 44 seconds without the network card or drivers loaded, or the USB drivers installed.

I won't attempt to install the SP3.4 until I've gotten comfortable with the selection check-boxes during the initial install screen. That might take a while, because I'm a slow reader. I plan to continue reading after I take a snapshot of the selection screen options so I can search through the MSFN fora for answers to all of my questions.

Thanks for all your work, instructions, and help. It really is appreciated. Win98SE is better because of it.

deleted :whistle:

Edited by MiKl

SP 3.5 upcoming updates

ATL.DLL 3.0.9794.0 Windows 2000 SP4

ATL71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

ATL80.DLL 8.0.50727.6195 Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1

GDIPLUS.DLL 5.2.6002.22791 Windows XP SP3

MFC40.DLL 4.1.0.6151 Windows XP SP3

MFC71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

MSVCRT20.DLL 2.12.0.0 Windows XP SP3

MSVCRT40.DLL 5.1.2600.5512 Windows XP SP3

Some bug fixes

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

3. Install SP3.4.

Thanks you

The following is the short version of a complete Win98SE install with more details in the attached file.

(It might prove useful if anyone wants to see specific details such as driver versions, etc)

Formatted drive with no errors

Did Win98SE install with no errors

Added the following drivers with no errors

- Chipset

- AGP video card

-Audio

Did not add the following drivers

- LAN

- VGA (AGP card installed)

- USB

Mirrored drive

Setup second machine in same configuration

Ready for SP3.5

Next?

Win98SE_Installation.txt

You will continue to get the INF error, if you don't install (ALL) your hardware drivers.

There was a bug in 3.4, but it has been fixed.

I don't know why Win98 is setup like this. I have done many clean installs over the week to figure this problem out.

Install all your hardware drivers before installing SP 3.x or you will get the INF error.

There is no other solution that I know of. This is probably why you are the only one reporting this.

Others have done clean installs and haven't receive INF error messages.

I have updated the LICENSE.TXT with the necessary instructions. Please follow them EVERYONE!

Also, anytime you install official/unofficial updates and get an error message, Win98 will create a setupapi.log file in the Windows directory. With this file, I can determine what went wrong.

You can also ignore the error messages in setupapi.log for these specific files

CRLUPD.INF
MSCRLREV.DLL
UPDCRL.EXE
VERISIGNPUB1.CRL

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

You will continue to get the INF error, if you don't install (ALL) your hardware drivers.

There was a bug in 3.4, but it has been fixed.

I don't know why Win98 is setup like this. I have done many clean installs over the week to figure this problem out.

Install all your hardware drivers before installing SP 3.x or you will get the INF error.

There is no other solution that I know of. This is probably why you are the only one reporting this.

Others have done clean installs and haven't receive INF error messages.

The original installation DID include all of the H/W and S/W drivers.

My problems might be because of which options I selected during the initial SP3.4 install, or possibly some fluke related to my H/W and S/W configuration, and the fact that I changed some options in the "StartUp" tab of "SysInfo" in "Tools" so not all of the S/W was loaded for the H/W I installed.

Not knowing which SP3.4 options doesn't help right now, and the fact that I changed a few things before install. Easily fixed. I haven't changed any options this time, and the "Resources Available" in the attached file is an indicator of that

Based on what Drugwash stated --

One reason for a slightly longer boot time is the network card loading its drivers, logging onto the network and performing whatever functions it has to. A vanilla installation without network drivers will usually boot faster.
-- I decided not to install the LAN drivers, since I "may" not use the LAN anyway.

As I said in this post --

I knew the network card slows the boot down considerably, and I'm seriously thinking about removing the drivers and device from my installation unless the longer boot time is understood and resolved. I may just forget using the LAN altogether and rely upon my USB sticks and external USB drive to move files back and forth. That would reduce the boot time somewhat.
-- I'd already concluded the LAN installation might not be necessary.

However, if there's more stuff going on besides just loading the H/W drivers, then I'll have to load them anyway and remove that device after.

An interesting test will be after I remove the LAN device from the machine in the Device Manager and how it will affect the boot time.

Since I've got an AGP card I made an assumption (bad decision on my part) not to install the VGA driver.

The problem now is that the AGP card takes precedence for video, and I'll have to uninstall it, install the VGA drivers, and then re-install the AGP card + drivers. Easily fixed.

My decision to not install the USB drivers was yet another bad assumption. Easily fixed.

I have updated the LICENSE.TXT with the necessary instructions. Please follow them EVERYONE!

Also, anytime you install official/unofficial updates and get an error message, Win98 will create a setupapi.log file in the Windows directory. With this file, I can determine what went wrong.

You can also ignore the error messages in setupapi.log for these specific files

CRLUPD.INF
MSCRLREV.DLL
UPDCRL.EXE
VERISIGNPUB1.CRL

Another installation step will be for me to do a "DIR /S /OG-D /V >DirList.txt" of the C:\WINDOWS directory in a Windows DOS box before AND after installation, and then I'll use a text compare utility to see what files change.

I'll be doing a test later on my pre-install test machine to see how much information is there and if I have specified the options correctly.

Are there other directories besides C:\WINDOWS (and sub-directories) that would be a good idea to log?

Thanks for all your efforts this week, ProblemChyld.

The original installation DID include all of the H/W and S/W drivers.

This was the bug I reproduced and fixed.

Sometimes it is best to configure all your software/tweaks etc.... after the installation of SP 3.x.

I will release SP 3.5 either tomorrow of Friday. Just follow all the instructions and you should be ok. Thanks again :rolleyes:

ATL.DLL 3.0.9794.0 Windows 2000 SP4

ATL71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

ATL80.DLL 8.0.50727.6195 Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1

GDIPLUS.DLL 5.2.6002.22791 Windows XP SP3

HNETWIZ.DLL 5.1.2232.1 Windows XP SP1

ICSDCLT.DLL 5.1.2600.23 Windows XP SP1

MFC40.DLL 4.1.0.6151 Windows XP SP3

MFC71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

MSVCRT20.DLL 2.12.0.0 Windows XP SP3

MSVCRT40.DLL 5.1.2600.5512 Windows XP SP3

NCXP32.DLL 5.1.2600.23 Windows XP SP1

NCXPNT.DLL 6.0.2600.3 Windows XP SP1

PSAPI.DLL 5.0.2134.1 Windows 2000

XENROLL.DLL 5.131.3686.0 Windows XP SP3

Fixed some bugs

A big thanks to Laser98IX for critiquing SP3.x. It helped me improve the package.

I apologize :angel once again for my rudeness.

I have added more details in the description box so users know what they are installing.

I have added PSAPI.DLL 5.0.2134.1 Windows 2000 and it will only install if its already present in the system directory.

I have tested apps with and without PSAPI.DLL 5.0.2134.1. It was NOT needed at least on my system.

I will release 3.5 later tonight or tomorrow morning :w00t:

A big thanks to Laser98IX for critiquing SP3.x. It helped me improve the package.

You're welcome. I'm pleased I was able to add something to this project, however slight or "unofficial" my efforts. :)

As I hoped to mention before I'm skilled at and have been trained to do a process analysis of whatever I work on. It's good for things like programming, document creation, and problem analysis, but not so great for interacting with other people. I analyze things to a great level of detail because I immerse myself in process activities, and installing software updates is VERY process oriented. Also, I don't discount what I see or make assumptions about the test results, because I've learned that interpretation during the activity could inadvertently skew the results or bias the test. I try to take things literally, and that often poses a problem with people who are able to read between the lines. This is why I volunteered to help do beta testing.

I apologize :angel once again for my rudeness.

Forget it!!! We all have operational styles, and I'll need to get used to yours so I can improve upon mine. ;)

I genuinely appreciate what you're doing, and can easily overlook some obvious frustrations by a very dedicated and over-worked programmer.

I have added more details in the description box so users know what they are installing.

Wonderful!!!

My intent was to convey a level of polite ignorance on the part of many people who don't have as intimate a knowledge of what you're offering as you do. By making the Unofficial Service Packs easy to understand, install, and troubleshoot, more people will be eager to upgrade their running machines, or pull that old computer and license out of the closet or attic and fire it up again so they can take advantage of newer hardware and older software. I know Microsoft won't officially support or re-release '98SE, but that doesn't mean hundreds of thousands, and hopefully millions of users can continue to take advantage of a nice O/S that I genuinely enjoy using, and I continue to use it everyday.

My training and experience forces me to see things from the end-user perspective, and oft-times "we" don't have a clue about what's going on or what to do. That doesn't mean we're buffoons or dolts ... just not programmers.

If more programs could be written from the end-user's perspective there wouldn't need to be so many user's guides written and printed. I know, I know ... that takes time, isn't easy, and requires lots of dedication, but the end-user can only act on what they see or read, and reading more within the program or installation means less reading [and potential confusion] before, during, and later. There's a diminishing return to that concept, so tne 10/90 and 90/10 rule is accurate here.

I will release 3.5 later tonight or tomorrow morning :w00t:

After it's available I'll download it and conduct the same sort of installation analysis I did during my Win98SE install. Hopefully I won't create so many problems during this attempt by short-cutting my computer configuration or selecting things I don't need to on the options page.

Thanks to you, ProblemChyld ... and so many other programmers, coders, and plain old smart people.

ps. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, and to prove that I truly am willing to do a little beta testing, I'll install the next SP3.x on a Dell CPi "Latitude" laptop that's running '98SE. I'll wipe the current configuration and installation, follow the same installation routine as per my earlier install for my EZ65, and will then report that status post-install. In that post I'll document the H/W config, installed features [if any], and the benchmarks previously listed. If I can find the space to set it up I'll also do the same for a tower "desk-side" that's screaming for an update. I just have to decide which tower to use.

pps. Is a '95-to-'98SE-upgrade install a valid test as well, or has that already been done?

Edited by Laser98IX

I have found a way to add the original icons and keep the WinME/2000.

If I don't get enough people that actually want them, then I will (NOT) invest time in it.

If you don't use the SP please don't even bother to comment. All you going to do is p*** me off.

Enjoy 3.5 because 3.6 is around the corner.

I have installed 3.5 on my P225 on a freshly installed windows and everything seemed nice and dandy until I started adding new HW (USB 2.0 card, NIC and some USB sticks).

There are about 50 second pauses whenever there's "scanning" operation during driver installs. On USB it was quite annoying but nothing tremendous as it only appeared once. But then I popped in the NIC (about 15 minutes ago) and its move file, scanning (for about 50 seconds), move another file, scan more, repeat.

There is no HDD activity during those scannings, and there's always SP3.CAB in source during that time. It makes me think that there is some searching inside the CAB which is CPU intensive. The P225 is not really powerful, and it takes time.

I began experiencing one other oddity, which I think happened right after I installed my OPTi USB2.0 card. There's Fatal Exception 0B error happening every time I try to shut down and it is endless requiring me to hard reset or power off. I have not yet linked it to the USB card, once the NIC finishes I'll take out the USB card and see if the problem presists.

Detailed config :

Pentium1 MMX 233 @ 225MHz

Intel 430TX chipset

64MB RAM (PC66)

Promise Fasttrack66 with pair of 80GB drives in RAID1

Intel Pro100+ dual server NIC

OPTi 82C621 USB 2.0 card

Yamaha YMF719 sound card

I will report back as soon as I find something more conclusive on the shut down problem. EDIT: After I disabled USB I no longer got the problem, but the problem no longer returned either when I enabled both onboard and OPTi USB (even in different combinations)... must have been a fluke or something.

So the driver install slowness is only thing that haunts my (puny)setup :P

Edited by TmEE