98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I like to thank all you guys who supported me in this endeavor. I could have not done it without all of you guys.

I decided not to add the KernelEX option due to lack of feedback. If I add the two options

Windows Image Acquisition 1.1 (WIA)
Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 SP1

SP3 will be marked as FINAL! Unless you guys discover newer compatible files or MDGx releases new updates it will be FINAL!

I'll give you guys some time to come up with suggestions/improvements. I believe adding the two options above would make the pack complete. There will be nothing else to add because all compatible unofficial/official updates are included.

Here is a list of the files I didn't add

Unofficial Updates 

SETUPAPI.EXE
Windows Image Acquisition 1.1 (WIA)

Official Updates 

DirectX 9
Internet Explorer
Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 SP1
NET Framework
Windows Media Player (WMP)

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Looks good to me!

:thumbup

DirectX 9, Internet Explorer 6 SP1, .NET Framework 1 and 2 and Windows Media Player 9 are very large updates which would make the SP unwieldy IMO.

They are readily available elsewhere anyway.

If you add WIA and MDAC that will be pretty complete as regards the important official and unofficial update available for Windows 98SE.

If you go final and "lock" this version as the baseline for SP3, you can still then carry on developing and updating it, but under later version numbers.

Thanks as always for doing this for us.

:yes:

Agreed with Dave-H. I'd still have some reservations in regard to KernelEx; it's quite unofficial alright, however since most recent software (browsers, primarily) wouldn't install/work under 9x even with latest updates in this Service Pack, it may be beneficial to include it, albeit in a separate section called 'Advanced' or 'Expert', if you want.

Thing is, KernelEx is not an application or utility, but an extension to the system core, namely the kernel; as such, it should be regarded as a core update. Admittedly, there may be occasional problems with certain applications, fine tuning may be required, but with proper documentation and under a well-defined section that appeals to advanced/bold users, it would be of much use for the future. And definitely would be easier for anyone to have an all-in-one package with options to select from, than to pick bits and pieces by hand, from different places.

To be honest, I myself wouldn't conceive a 9x system without Revolutions Pack either, as it makes it more eye-friendly. But I know there are minimalistic guys out there, there's guys that also disable themes in XP and that's fine, because having the option to [...] is most important.

Come to think about it, it might be an idea to build a modular Service Pack, so at download time, people could choose whether they want the Optional pack and/or Expert pack in addition to Basic/Core pack. Additional benefit would be that a subsequent update would alleviate the download bandwitdh usage when only one of the packs has been modified, as opposed to current 'compact' solution. But as I said, it's just an idea.

I think PROBLEMCHYLD made wise decisions about what not to include. :thumbup

In particular, I think that WIA (because it may break TWAIN) and .NET (because it may break windows search) are problematic packages, which must be handled with due care, and have no place in an update pack, at least until the known issues get sorted out.

However, if an "Advanced" optional section ends up being created, it should include both KernelEx and the Revolutions Pack. I'm one of those minimalists Drugwash just mentioned, and yet I do use RP (with themes disabled) because it helps a lot (or effectively solves) with the resource limitation, and adds the possibility of locking the taskbar and Tihiy's improved Task Manager, and I deem those three improvements very important for attaining the best possible 98SE experience.

Hello, I am happy that the SP has almost come to a final version.

Well I'd love to have a section ADVANCED, where to find the Revolution Pack and KernelEX. :thumbup

By the way, hop found other updates that I had missed last time:

Always QFE version of 2482017: inseng.dll from 6.00.2800.1662 to 6.00.2800.1663 and mshtml.dll from 6.00.2800.1662 to 6.00.2800.1663,

Also you may install the patch shdoclc.dll universal refresh link: http://www.mdgx.com/files/SHDOCFIX.ZIP

BTW, there is a reason why the Jpegim32.flt files should be present in both sp3.cab that supp.cab ? :blink:

Thanks,

Mcv'93

I have a new update ready. It won't be on mediafire.

They want me to install that Bull$h!+ on my computer, and I aint doing it.

I shouldn't have to download something in order to upload.

What's wrong with people these days. They have something good then screw it up. I need a new reliable host.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I have a new update ready. It won't be on mediafire.

They want me to install that Bull$h!+ on my computer, and I aint doing it.

I shouldn't have to download something in order to upload.

What's wrong with people these days. They have something good then screw it up. I need a new reliable host.

Sorry, but what are you talking about? I uploaded files there just a few days ago, and I've never had to install anything. Edited by Svenne

My hours are fluctuating @ work. Hopefully I can get an update out over the weekend.

The next update I release, I asking that maybe a couple of people on here might test on a clean install.

That would really help me. dencorso and Drugwash, I have read you suggestions and I will work on them before

the final build. Its a litte more complicated because RP9/KernelEx patches files.

I normally patch files and then add the patched file to the Service Pack.

PROBLEMCHYLD, it may not be that complicated, after all. Both RP and KEx are standalone, self-contained installers and they both require a reboot after installation. If you decide to include them in the Service Pack, my opinion is that they should be added as-is and if the user chooses to install any of them, then deploy the respective package to a safe location (%windir%\Cabs or whatever), create shortcut to it on the desktop and inform the user that they have to launch it manually.

Obviously, this operation will have to take place only after the Service Pack has finished installing its core files (and/or the optional ones). Just make sure the files in the Requirements package recommended by Tihiy for RP, have been installed regardless of the core/optional choice, if RP installation was selected.

Why would you add Revolution Pack and KernelEx?

Both are buggy and neither pack is finished. Why not add adobe flash while you @ it, and some unnecessaries?

And since the pack is already quite big why not adding a bit of eye candy with the patched Vista screensavers? (I love Bubbles)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Screensavers/Vista-Screensaver-Ported-to-XP.shtml

:hello:

Not sure I agree with that.

If you start putting that sort of thing in, it becomes more of an enhancement pack than a service pack.

I think things like that should be included in a separate package.

:)

I REST MY CASE!