98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

OK. Now I see there was a problem, after all.

But I think I've solved it: below is a quote of the lines I added to the top of the first post.

===========================================================================

PROBLEMCHYLD's latest version of U98SESP3 is HERE:

(link)

===========================================================================

OK. Now I see there was a problem, after all.

But I think I've solved it: below is a quote of the lines I added to the top of the first post.

====================================================================

PROBLEMCHYLD's latest version of U98SESP3 is HERE:

(link)

====================================================================

Thanks dencorso :thumbup Hopefullly everyone is happy :angel

:thumbup U98SESP3-ESN Updated :thumbup

Based Update: U98SESP3.EXE v04-01-2012 :angel

Traslation Guide: U98SESP3 Detail-Text-04-01-2012.txt :D

Name: Extra-Oficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 3.0 ESN

Version: 3.0

Size: 54.6Mb

CRC32: 9016FB15

MD5: AD0261B7B0E131F1FB5D9C9061C506D0

SHA1: 2D562CC50258B5FB3358DC341AFCC70362990523

Download Link: U98SESP3-ESN.EXE :thumbup

Download Link: Video Tutorial ;)

Edited by gerislamico

I'v got an e-mail a few days ago from an angry person who claimed that U98SESP3.EXE "fried" his hard drive [sic] and that he had to repartition and reinstall windows.

But he didn't want to send more information when I asked him.

I'm very surprised. IMO, only a corrupted or uncompatible version of IO.SYS could do that. But that update has been used for more than one year on dozen if not hundreds of machines.

What's the odds that U98SESP3.EXE could make your HD unbootable? That seems very unlikely to me.

BSOD, freeze, drivers errors, whatever,... but an invalid boot sector?

I've been casually glancing at this thread for a few years and have what is probably a dumb question-

Is this sp3 project sort of a friendly competitor to the unofficial service pak I slapped onto my win98se machines a few years ago from Mpgx's site? His SP link there leads to and exhuberant sp2 page... which is where I updated from and have kept things for four years.

Or is this project designed to go further forward from what I already have from mpgx? On casual reading, it seems to add much more

I've thought about dowloading this project a few times, but it seems it's still in development. Not sure when the right time is to jump in to try this out.

I'm not really techy to the point of wanting to mix and match features, but I do like the idea of these unofficial service paks. I have a few or Rloews patches too.

What you probably have is SP 2.1a, which was the last stable final version of SP 2, which was produced by Gape, a member here who we haven't heard from now in quite a while. That SP was posted around in quite a few places.

Gape started producing a SP 3, but disappeared before the project reached final version.

PROBLEMCHYLD, another very active member here, picked it up relatively recently and is getting very near now to producing the final version of SP 3.0.

It has many security and stability updates over SP 2.1a, as well as extra enhancements which are optional installs.

If your machine has had no further updates at all since 2.1a i would recommend installing SP 3.0 when the final version is released.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

Fredledingue ... in regards to the "angry" e-mail that you received about that person having to reinstall Windows ... something similar happened to me a few months ago when I installed U98SESP3.EXE ... I also had to reinstall Windows but in my case, I didn't get angry since I have a Ghost backup and I was up and running again in minutes. I didn't post anything about it since I saw no one else mention having this problem and also I wasn't exactly sure what had happened. I think I had trouble with the USB part of the install. I personally would like to manually do that part of the install myself or have it separated in some way but I may have done something wrong when I installed U98SESP3.EXE. I thought I would wait till the final version is done and give it a try again. Nobody else has complained about this so it's probably working OK for others.

As I said, I saw no complaints or discussion from anyone else about having problems with the USB install part of U98SESP3.EXE and I'm not even sure that was my problem but if I remember, my USB stuff didn't seem to work right or was freezing up. Also, PROBLEMCHYLD had enough people telling him to add this or drop this and I didn't want to add to the mix when I had no proof it was actually any particular part of his project that messed up my computer.

I have manually installed Unofficial Windows 98 SE Native USB Drivers (NUSB) 3.5 ...

I just mention this as an observation on my experience with U98SESP3.EXE.

Edited by duffy98

Duffy,

So according to you, it's NUSB the culprit.

But can it prevent window to load, or even crash a HD?

IFAIK in case of bad drivers windows let you the choice of booting in DOS mode or restart in safe mode.

Such issue shouldn't compell you to reformat.

Since this guy didn't bother to reply my last e-mail, I don;t think it's important for him. But I think it may be important for us to know all the known risks.

Well I can't be 100% sure Fredledingue ... I just suspected that my problem could have been with that part of the install ... the USB 2.0 part but really not sure. As I said earlier, no one else has mentioned anything about any problems with the USB part of the package. It could have been something else on my machine or I might not have followed PROBLEMCHYLD specific instructions to the letter. I will try it again but was just going to wait till PROBLEMCHYLD releases his final version. I seem to be the only one reporting this so it does not appear to be a common problem ... I just decided to keep looking to see if any one else mentioned a possible USB problem. As far as the install of the whole package went, it was smooth and flawless ... didn't know I had a problem till a short time later. I think the computer rebooted OK ... should have written some notes down at the time.

thanks,

Edited by duffy98

Anyone know how to fix this error?

I Googled the error number (as I'm sure you've already done, but just in case, miss off the minus sign or you won't get any results!)

Most of what I found was way over my head, but that error number seems to be mainly related to an invalid path somewhere, so maybe that should be investigated.

Sorry to not be of more help.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

As I said, I saw no complaints or discussion from anyone else about having problems with the USB install part of U98SESP3.EXE and I'm not even sure that was my problem but if I remember, my USB stuff didn't seem to work right or was freezing up. Also, PROBLEMCHYLD had enough people telling him to add this or drop this and I didn't want to add to the mix when I had no proof it was actually any particular part of his project that messed up my computer.

With me was not working properly Usbstor.sys file version 5.00.2195.6773

Helped downgrade to version 4.90.3000.1

But I have not installed U98SESP3.EXE - so I do not want to generalize.

I have manually installed Unofficial Windows 98 SE Native USB Drivers (NUSB) 3.5 ...

In NUSB 3.5 Usbstor.sys file is currently in version 4.90.3000.1

Some years back, I had a problem with the original USB Drivers on my 98FE System. If I copied a large amount of data to a Flash Drive I would get a BSOD with a Disk Write Error Message, especially if I was browsing during the transfer. Whe I rebooted, there was significant corruption found on my Hard Drive. Typically an entire Sector of FAT data was filled with garbage and to make things worse, the corresponding backup FAT Sector was also destroyed. Sometimes a Directory Sector was also filled with garbage. This type of corruption could easily render a Partition useless, depending upon where the damage occurs. I managed to recover my data but only through massive manual hunting and patching. You cannot use SCANDISK as it makes things worse.

The problem appeared to be only in 98FE, so I posted some warnings about using 98FE with USB. Some time later I setup a system to do some more research into the issue but was unable to reproduce the problem.

Yes Fredledingue you are correct ... I was able to reboot but very quickly I realized I had some kind of problem ... This was sometime in January so that would be several or many versions back. It's just not fresh in my mind what exactly was happening that I had to install my Ghost backup. I remember some USB problems and some freezing up, couldn't seem to repair it, wasn't sure what to repair anyway, just fell back to my Ghost backup and manually installed Unofficial Windows 98 SE Native USB Drivers (NUSB) 3.5 using PROBLEMCHYLD's USB instructions ... all my USB devices seems to be working.

Thanks egrabrych for clarifying what Usbstor.sys version is in NUSB 3.5 : In NUSB 3.5 Usbstor.sys file is currently in version 4.90.3000.1

That's about all I can say for now ... sorry about being so light on any hard facts or information. It may have just been an isolated problem with my machine only.