98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I added some extensive "disclaimer" and other important notice on the website.

This for new users. (Those of you who know what U98sesp is don't need to read it.)

I hope to re-enable direct download soon. But I'm still thinking of a way to do it safely.

edit - does this help?

Wiki (look at "file storage and transfer"). Seems the iTouch is "restricted" unless you "fiddle" with it.

More (and some supposed software)

...and more (with further info on acronyms).

HTH, and good luck...

The iPod Touch / iPhone utility/driver that gives you some mass storage capability on your device, does so by creating a separate partition or virtual drive or some such, which may be handy if you don't want to carry a Flash stick around, but useless for accessing your media files on the device.

As for those PC drivers that claim to provide mass-storage access to the media files on your iPod, they are just a conventional USB mass storage driver (actually, a customized example driver originally from MS), and only work on older iPod devices prior to the PTP/MTP(?) models.

Basically, Apple tried to lock up your media files with proprietary databases on their iPods and force you to use iTunes, but when these were reverse-engineered and you had alternatives, they then eliminated mass-storage mode and came up with what is probably a proprietary version of PTP/MTP.

Joe.

Anyone know how to fix this error?

The error number is actually hex 0x80004005 (E_FAIL), which is an unspecified error.

Please check this MS KB here (I hope it's right - the board renders the link dialog completely off-screen in SlimBrowser/IE)

(yeah, took me that long to fix the link when I could see NOTHING in the link dialog!)

Edited by Drugwash

Well after my last post I thought more about what egrabrych posted about 7 messages back ... that I think, was the problem I had when my USB stuff didn't seem to work. I remember now that I did do some research and further testing with the USB problem and discovered that it was the Usbstor.sys file (v5.00.2195.6773) in the U98SESP3.EXE that "seemed" to be the problem ... I had used WinRAR to take all the USB items out of U98SESP3.EXE to check the versions with the USB versions in NUSB v3.5. I guess I just figured it would be faster to just put the Ghost backup back on instead of trying to delete and add USB items from NUSB 3.5. I am pretty sure I isolated the Usbstor.sys file (v5.00.2195.6773) as the "possible" problem but there may have been another file also ... but as egrabrych posted ... when I went to NUSB 3.5 and Usbstor.sys (v4.90.3000.1) ... everything seemed to work just fine.

On my Ghost backup which was from Oct 2011 at the time of the problem, I had NUSB 3.3 installed then after the USB problem with U98SESP3.EXE a few months ago (Jan) I decided to install NUSB 3.5 and now have a more recent Ghost backup with NUSB 3.5 installed.

So after reading egrabrych's post from yesterday, things started to refresh in my mind about Usbstor.sys being the culprit ... at least on my computer.

Hope this helps some ... but it doesn't seem to be a problem with most people when they install U98SESP3.EXE since there hasn't been any mention of USB install problems from anyone. Perhaps installing the U98SESP3.EXE package on a fresh Windows 98SE install works better than installing U98SESP3.EXE over an already installed Windows 98SE ... I have no idea about this, just a thought.

I'm jazzed. Can't wait to install sp3 once it's final.

Out of curiosity, will this new sp3 install and automatically take care if the ram limitation for some of my old machines that run 1gb and 2gb of ram? Or will I still use Rloew's ram limitation patch that I bought from him a few years back?. Or is it sort of a case by case basis to see which works best ?

No. You'll still need the RAM Limitation Patch, which is not free, so it cannot be included in the uSP. However, in case you're going for a full reinstallation, you should contact RLoew and get the latest version of it, to which you're entitled since you've already bought it.

Cool. I think he emailed an update to me in December or January. It's version 7. I'll have to check with him to see if that's the latest.

Edited by billyb

I have fixed the MDAC 2.8SP1 bug. The final version is almost ready.

All I have to do is clean up the mdac inf file then add it to the SP. I'm going to need some testers before I release it.

I'm asking that all the testers, please test on a clean install. I can have the package ready sometime this evening.

Either PM me or post in the forum for the exclusive link. Thank you everybody..

Well after my last post I thought more about what egrabrych posted about 7 messages back ... that I think, was the problem I had when my USB stuff didn't seem to work. I remember now that I did do some research and further testing with the USB problem and discovered that it was the Usbstor.sys file (v5.00.2195.6773) in the U98SESP3.EXE that "seemed" to be the problem ... I had used WinRAR to take all the USB items out of U98SESP3.EXE to check the versions with the USB versions in NUSB v3.5. I guess I just figured it would be faster to just put the Ghost backup back on instead of trying to delete and add USB items from NUSB 3.5. I am pretty sure I isolated the Usbstor.sys file (v5.00.2195.6773) as the "possible" problem but there may have been another file also ... but as egrabrych posted ... when I went to NUSB 3.5 and Usbstor.sys (v4.90.3000.1) ... everything seemed to work just fine.

On my Ghost backup which was from Oct 2011 at the time of the problem, I had NUSB 3.3 installed then after the USB problem with U98SESP3.EXE a few months ago (Jan) I decided to install NUSB 3.5 and now have a more recent Ghost backup with NUSB 3.5 installed.

So after reading egrabrych's post from yesterday, things started to refresh in my mind about Usbstor.sys being the culprit ... at least on my computer.

Hope this helps some ... but it doesn't seem to be a problem with most people when they install U98SESP3.EXE since there hasn't been any mention of USB install problems from anyone. Perhaps installing the U98SESP3.EXE package on a fresh Windows 98SE install works better than installing U98SESP3.EXE over an already installed Windows 98SE ... I have no idea about this, just a thought.

PROBLEMCHYLD,

Did you also fix the (potential) problem with usbstor.sys?

(see Duffy's post above)

Edited by Fredledingue

With all due respect for everyone involved, USBSTOR.SYS (v5.00.2195.6773) *requires* WDMSTUB.SYS for working. So, it's necessary to delete *all installed USB devices* from program manager, and insert them again one by one for redetection (as is stated just about everywhere in big capitals). When one fails to do so, the installation reamains as it was before the uSP, so WDMSTUB is not loaded and USBSTOR refuses to work. So, then, there's nothing for PROBLEMCHYLD to fix, because the issue is a PEBCAK! :whistle:

USB 2.0 NOTICE - Unplug all USB devices. Install main updates.

Remove all current USB/EHCI drivers + controllers from Device Manager in safe mode. REBOOT!

Let all drivers redetect on startup. Plug in USB devices one at a time.

I assume "the insert USB devices one at a time" rule only applies to the first time? Once all the devices have been correctly identified, then you can leave everything plugged in for subsequent reboots ?

Cheers and Regards