98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

With all due respect for everyone involved, USBSTOR.SYS (v5.00.2195.6773) *requires* WDMSTUB.SYS for working. So, it's necessary to delete *all installed USB devices* from program manager, and insert them again one by one for redetection (as is stated just about everywhere in big capitals). When one fails to do so, the installation reamains as it was before the uSP, so WDMSTUB is not loaded and USBSTOR refuses to work. So, then, there's nothing for PROBLEMCHYLD to fix, because the issue is a PEBCAK! :whistle:

USB 2.0 NOTICE - Unplug all USB devices. Install main updates.

Remove all current USB/EHCI drivers + controllers from Device Manager in safe mode. REBOOT!

Let all drivers redetect on startup. Plug in USB devices one at a time.

I was reading that on the sp3 page notes. As only a semi-techie, my oldest machine with usb ports from 1998 (currently with 2.1a sp on it) shows a "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" area in Device manager with "Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" and also a line "USB Root Hub".

Do I delete all of those? Will I be looking for other entries too in Device Manager after the sp3 update? Entries that will be added during the sp3 update itself? Also, is there a reason that the first time removal has to be done only in safe mode?

Sorry if these sound like questions I should know.

Edited by billyb

Also, is there a reason that the first time removal has to be done only in safe mode?

Sorry if these sound like questions I should know.

Yes, to make sure no drivers are loaded. Sometimes it just sooooooo muchhhhhhhhhh easier just

to follow the instructions. Thanks dencorso.

Here's a detailed cleanup procedure, from USBMan.

Also read Safe Mode Device Manager (vs. Normal Mode), by DNA, from annoyances.org, quoted below for easy reference.

Safe Mode Device Manager (vs. Normal Mode)

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Windows 98 Annoyances Discussion Forum

Posted by DNA (553 messages posted)

When installing the Generic USB Mass Storage Driver on an existing Win98SE install, I remove all USB devices from Device Manager in Safe Mode.

Safe Mode Device Manager shows devices that are NOT 'currently installed' (but are still logged in the system), unlike Normal Mode Device Manager.

For instance, in Normal Mode Device Manager, you will only see your currently installed optical drives in the CD-ROM tab, whereas in Safe Mode Device Manager, you will see every optical drive that has ever been installed in that computer (even all of the external optical drives that were ever used, as applicable), unless/until you remove them from Safe Mode Device Manager.

You might be surprised at how many conflicts can be resolved by the correct use of Safe Mode Device Manager. It is generally safe to remove any listing for an internal device that is known to be no longer installed in the system, and it's even a good idea (to prevent possible conflicts).

Removable USB devices don't show up in Normal Mode Device Manager unless they are plugged into the system, so you can't remove them from there unless they're plugged in, and removing them from (Normal Mode) Device Manager while they're plugged in may not be a good idea in certain cases!

In Win98 Safe Mode, USB is disabled, so you can safely remove any and all removable USB device listings from (Safe Mode) Device Manager.

So, before installing the Generic driver, you should uninstall all of the removable drives' Win98SE drivers in Normal Mode, then boot to Safe Mode and remove the drives' listings under Disk Drives and Universal Serial Bus Controllers, as applicable.

I've done this procedure for several 'existing' Win98SE installs (on my 1.1 Athlon, and others' computers), and the Generic driver has worked fine in every case...

Basically, Apple tried to lock up your media files with proprietary databases on their iPods and force you to use iTunes

The following is probably OT, but since you brought it up...

Best critique of iTunes that I've seen, if a bit salty. His experience pretty much matches mine. One time my wife, a pretty smart cookie, bought an iPod and asked me to figure out how to use it since she couldn't. All she wanted to do was to download MP3s of talk shows. I tried it and felt like I was being railroaded into doing things one specific, convoluted way that didn't work very well in any case. We ended up getting an unpretentious (and much cheaper) Sansa Fuze where we can simply download whatever and drag-and-drop it into the player, no muss no fuss. Never looked back.

--JorgeA

First of all, I appreciate the additional information on the USB matter, Device Manager and other things that have been posted. In my case, I have limited knowledge about certain things which includes USB and Device Manager ... I use them and can work with them but I'm always on the lookout for more information. Dencorso, I got some answers from the links that you posted ... I never saw anything anywhere over the years that Device Manager should be "cleaned out" at least once or every now and then. When I was in Device Manager - Safe Mode earlier ... I noticed that there were many more items to delete under Universal Serial Bus Controllers than there are in Device Manager - Normal Mode. I wondered about that but the one article sort of clears that up.

From article:

"Safe Mode Device Manager shows devices that are NOT 'currently installed' (but are still logged in the system), unlike Normal Mode Device Manager."

"Removable USB devices don't show up in Normal Mode Device Manager unless they are plugged into the system, so you can't remove them from there unless they're plugged in, and removing them from (Normal Mode) Device Manager while they're plugged in may not be a good idea in certain cases!"

.... so that definitely explains why USB items have to removed from Device Manager while in Safe Mode and not Normal Mode.

In my case I did follow PROBLEMCHYLD's instructions while working with these USB devices.

"USB 2.0 NOTICE - Unplug all USB devices. Install main updates. Remove all current USB/EHCI drivers + controllers from Device Manager in safe mode. REBOOT!

Let all drivers redetect on startup. Plug in USB devices one at a time."

... however, I knew nothing about WDMSTUB.SYS and how it is connected to USB items or USBSTOR.SYS in particular. I can't speak for others but all this "extra information" that you and others post are a big help to me in understanding the inner workings of my computer.

dencorso :

"With all due respect for everyone involved, USBSTOR.SYS (v5.00.2195.6773) *requires* WDMSTUB.SYS for working. So, it's necessary to delete *all installed USB devices* from program manager, and insert them again one by one for redetection (as is stated just about everywhere in big capitals). When one fails to do so, the installation reamains as it was before the uSP, so WDMSTUB is not loaded and USBSTOR refuses to work."

I went into Device Manager - Safe Mode last night and found many old items to remove. A good example was under the CDROM tab .... there must have been close to 10 or 12 items that I removed ... from older CDROMs that I no longer use ....

From article:

"For instance, in Normal Mode Device Manager, you will only see your currently installed optical drives in the CD-ROM tab, whereas in Safe Mode Device Manager, you will see every optical drive that has ever been installed in that computer (even all of the external optical drives that were ever used, as applicable), unless/until you remove them from Safe Mode Device Manager."

I have been fooling around with these USB drivers in the interest of seeing if I could possibly get a faster transfer speed between a flash drive and my computer. I dealt with this in another post in asking USB file transfer questions.

Anyway, all information and links appreciated.

Edited by duffy98

Some years back, I had a problem with the original USB Drivers on my 98FE System. If I copied a large amount of data to a Flash Drive I would get a BSOD with a Disk Write Error Message, especially if I was browsing during the transfer. Whe I rebooted, there was significant corruption found on my Hard Drive. Typically an entire Sector of FAT data was filled with garbage and to make things worse, the corresponding backup FAT Sector was also destroyed. Sometimes a Directory Sector was also filled with garbage. This type of corruption could easily render a Partition useless, depending upon where the damage occurs. I managed to recover my data but only through massive manual hunting and patching. You cannot use SCANDISK as it makes things worse.

The problem appeared to be only in 98FE, so I posted some warnings about using 98FE with USB. Some time later I setup a system to do some more research into the issue but was unable to reproduce the problem.

I was reading that on the sp3 page notes. As only a semi-techie, my oldest machine with usb ports from 1998 (currently with 2.1a sp on it) shows a "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" area in Device manager with "Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" and also a line "USB Root Hub".

Careful not to "stress" the olde 82371SB, it will break. See : http://www.usbman.com/Guides/known_issues.htm

Joe.

I assume "the insert USB devices one at a time" rule only applies to the first time? Once all the devices have been correctly identified, then you can leave everything plugged in for subsequent reboots ?

Cheers and Regards

Yes, it only needs to be done once :lol:

Does this applies to *ALL* USB devices or only to mass storage USB devices?

I have a couple of items like a drawing tablet which are not used to store datas on it.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Yes

I believe it means "ALL" USB devices.

Cheers and Regards

Yes, it means ALL

Congratulations for the work you all do to keep life in Win98.

I take this opportunity to point out that the instalation of HP printer on the network K850dn stops with the declaration of the impossibility to load libraries Tpc Mib.

greetings

Congratulations for the work you all do to keep life in Win98.

I take this opportunity to point out that the instalation of HP printer on the network K850dn stops with the declaration of the impossibility to load libraries Tpc Mib.

greetings

Are you using the right hp drivers? Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Yes, the drivers are original hp,

specifically the version 2.1 service pack did not have this problem.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261302

I thought about the possibility of incompatibility with the library Snmpapi.dl

Thank you for your attention

I don't know what to tell you. The service pack doesn't have anything files from 261302.

Therefore it can't be the service pack. I have a HP 1320 and don't have any problems. Good luck finding the solution.

I going to post it here since I'm already typing.

For anyone thats having problems and doesn't give details, a step-by-step description,I WILL IGNORE YOU! I WILL NOT ATTEMP TO EVEN TRY AND FIND A SOLUTION FOR YOU. TAKE THE BITTER WITH THE SWEET.

(Semi-)Clean Install Report

Sorry for the long-ish post, but first off, i want to thank everyone, especially PROBLEMCHYLD, for all the work and input on this very-worthwhile project!

Anyway, hope i'm not "jumping the gun" (as uSP 3.0 is not yet final), but just out of curiosity... and because PROBLEMCHYLD recently asked it... and because of potential issues reported in recent posts, i did a (semi-) clean install of the Apr-01 uSP release. I used an old IBM+Intel PII+440BX/ZX laptop that i keep around mostly to test Win9x non-KernelEx software compatibility. (I do use KEx on my newer main system though.)

Here's how i proceeded:

1) Reformatted the harddisk.

2) Installed Win98SE (custom).

3) Installed Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.

4) Installed video driver. (Couldn't stand to look at VGA 640x480x256 for too long!)

5) Installed IE6 SP1 (everything except OE and multilanguage).

6) Installed uSP "Main Updates" (without any of the options).

7) Installed all the uSP options except "IE Core Files" (both), "Performance Tweaks" (grayed out), and "Power Management Trouble Shooter" (grayed out).

Everything seemed to go smoothly -- no noticeable installation issues, and the hardware and Windows boot up fine -- though obviously i haven't done much with it. And unfortunately, i don't have the means to test most of the options after installation.

Note that this computer has USB 1.1 -- not USB 2.0. I don't know if that's significant in terms of testing uSP or the disk issues recently mentioned.

Anyway, i installed no manufacturer-provided USB device drivers, and my USB flash discs, Zip drive, portable harddisk, diskette drives, camera (which appears as a flash disc), and a multi-card reader (which appears as multiple "Generic Storage Device"s) all installed ok after plugging them in. (The other card reader was not so lucky -- identified as "eUSB SmartMedia Adapter" -- Windows couldn't find a suitable driver. And i did have to tell the system that the portable harddisk was "removable" via Device Manager > Disk Drives > Settings; otherwise, it acted quirky.)

Note that "Performance Tweaks" and "Power Management Trouble Shooter" options were grayed out -- "Performance Tweaks" probably because it has 96mb RAM (uSP 3.0 uses 128mb as the limit, whereas uSP 2.1a used 64mb), but i'm not sure why "Power Management Trouble Shooter" was grayed out.

I noticed that Windows Management Instrumentation took a long time to complete after rebooting (Windows 98 Setup: "Updating System Settings...") -- i was starting to worry that it hung, but it finished ok.

And a note of caution: Be extra aware that the "Windows 95 Shell Swap" option *significantly* alters the functionality of the interface... and a few of its changes are somewhat-annoying. I installed it rather absent-mindedly, and was surprised at the changes it wrought. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INSTALL THIS OPTION BY ACCIDENT! (Like by just clicking all the option boxes... like i did -- hah!)

So overall, i'm quite impressed with the ease of installation, up-to-date-ness, and increase in functionality that uSP provides. (Except for the "Win95 Shell Swap" option as previously mentioned -- watch out!) It makes re-installing Windows 98SE *so* much-less painful and tedious... and much-less "hit and miss". Kudos!

- Doug B.